News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Loud backfire, engine quits.

Started by Starquest, February 05, 2020, 06:48:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carson City Paul

After further investigating I have found... 846 Carbon Conductive Grease would be the proper grease on metal connectors after they have been cleaned.

T Legg

Would conductive grease cause shorting between terminals on a multipin connectors ?
T Legg

Carson City Paul

Good question, I'm not sure... but I would imagine if you over greased that might be a problem.
I would use the 846 sparingly on the metal components and dielectric grease in the areas water and moisture can penetrate.

copper

Carson City Paul

I don't deny dielectric grease works and has for years. Companies that make these products continually look for ways to improve on their products.
If this were a gimmick and a way to charge more money for a product that did the same as a less expensive product, I might buy what that fellow had to say, but it doesn't cost more and I actually think the manufacturers put the time and effort into producing an improved product that best suits the application. Otherwise it would have been cheaper for them in the long run to just keep selling the same old product.

fj1289

Quote from: T Legg on March 23, 2020, 11:46:31 AM
Would conductive grease cause shorting between terminals on a multipin connectors ?

Yes it can!  That's because it is "conductive" !

I really like the product Ox-Guard when making battery post connections, ground connections, crimping connectors, etc.   But I was warned to never use it on multi-pin connectors.  I've never had a problem on a multi-pin connector because I heed the advice not too!  

Starquest

The main ignition switch and alternator connectors were melted. I replaced both last year,along with the terminals.

Starquest

Starquest

Starquest

May be this was the reason for the backfire along with the pinching of the lines. I broke the white tab when cleaning the stop switch last year and I glued it with epoxy. You can see at the picture up left and the pieces of epoxy. I think what happened was that the black piece lifted up and not making full contact or intermittent contact. I switched today with a good one. Contacts were pristine clean. Let's see Saturday. May be my tach was acting weird because this.

Starquest

Ok. I went for a ride this morning. Everything was fine. No jumping on the tach. The speedometer where ok until later on was bouncing a little bit. I did changed the stop switch and starter switch yesterday. Also I did put the pick up coil plate to original position. I think I did advanced too much (slotted plate). I took it to 8500 rpm first time, no problem. Second time and the clutch slipped. Overall I was happy. Time to get parts from RPM. Second gear started to slip. That's another story. Little by little, one thing at the time. Thanks to everybody. Time to get parts from RPM.

Starquest

Sorry.I was busy.After I found a fuel line pinched at the curve section on top of carb 3, I cut a 3/8 hydraulic line that I had at work ad conected to the fuel hoses with safety wire.I ran the bike next day. No problem.The next day I went to start the bike and it was running in 2 cylinders.I touched the pipes,1 and 4 cold.Took the tank off and checked the connector.Connector was a little loose.So I bent the connector terminals and that was it.End of my problems with fuel starvation,cutting off,backfire.I also changed the start kill switch.