News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Firmer than expected front brake lever after Spiegler installation

Started by aigram, May 06, 2020, 12:46:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2big

Evening gents Nice tidy FJ1300 Nissin 14mm front master cylinder arrived courtesy of a well known internet auction house for the princely sum of 22 of your English pounds - very good condition, cheaper than repainting the old FJ one. Deal! thanks for your help and advice guys, now for the discs....
Cheers
Jan

Millietant

Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

2big

Quote from: Millietant on May 27, 2020, 05:08:15 PM
And a nice, adjustable-span brake lever too Jan  :good2:

Yes got there in the end. Thanks Dean. Looks great but the adjustable dial is a bit stiff and in need of freeing off

Next up is discs (as we have discussed before) - Skywave in the UK is £125 a set, Arashi is £165... apart from the branding I can see the Arashi has a min thickness of 4.5mm where as the Skywave is min 4mm. They look the same but probably don't come out of the same factory.

Any experience or recommendations out there?
A set of fazer discs start at 4mm. Surely thinner is better and lighter or are thicker ones better, less prone to distortion and last longer. I assume the pads will always take up the slack with good bleeding.

ribbert

Quote from: 2big

....... but the adjustable dial  is a bit stiff and in need of freeing off

/quote]

If you push the lever forward, to unload it, it will be easier to turn.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

2big

Quote from: ribbert on May 29, 2020, 06:04:20 PM
Quote from: 2big

....... but the adjustable dial  is a bit stiff and in need of freeing off

/quote]

If you push the lever forward, to unload it, it will be easier to turn.

Noel

Thanks for the tip Noel...

Millietant

Quote from: 2big on May 29, 2020, 05:43:36 PM
Quote from: Millietant on May 27, 2020, 05:08:15 PM
And a nice, adjustable-span brake lever too Jan  :good2:

Yes got there in the end. Thanks Dean. Looks great but the adjustable dial is a bit stiff and in need of freeing off

Next up is discs (as we have discussed before) - Skywave in the UK is £125 a set, Arashi is £165... apart from the branding I can see the Arashi has a min thickness of 4.5mm where as the Skywave is min 4mm. They look the same but probably don't come out of the same factory.

Any experience or recommendations out there?
A set of fazer discs start at 4mm. Surely thinner is better and lighter or are thicker ones better, less prone to distortion and last longer. I assume the pads will always take up the slack with good bleeding.

I've never had a set òf discs wear out or go bad me on any of my bikes, even doing a lot of track miles. So far, my Skywaves are perfect after 2 years, and my standard ones on the FJ were still perfect after 77,000 miles.

Not sure why other people have so many issues - although my track day riding is mainly spent trying to keep up corner speeds and minimise braking  :sarcastic:
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.