News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

how complicated is it to remove and replace a 1985 FJ wiring harness?

Started by mtc, May 19, 2020, 12:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtc

can i do it with the tank, seat,side covers off in 30 minutes?

where are  the tough spots, anything around the carb area?

thanks
Current
1985 FJ1100

Previous Bikes
1979 Yamaha XS1100 best one
1984 FJ1100
1987 FZR600
1987 Fazer
1985 Vision
1982 Seca 750
1978 RD400 Spec II Motor

Live Life Wrong and Perspire

Motofun

you'll also need to fairing off too.  I match marked all the connectors with different colored tape prior to disassembly...was probably over kill but an old habit.  Also mark where the various clamps are on the old harness, lay the new harness along side of the old one and transfer the markings.  May seem extreme but everything goes back exactly where it should...oh, pictures don't hurt either.
'69 Honda Trail 90
'75 Honda CB400F
'85 Yamaha RZ350
'85 Yamaha FJ1100
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
'09 Yamaha 125 Zuma
'09 Kawasaki KZ110 (grand kids)
'13 Suzuki GSXR 750 (track)
'14 Yamaha FZ-09
'18 Suzuki GSXR 1000R (track)
'23 Yamaha Tenere 7
SOLD: CBX,RZ500,Ninja 650,CB400F,V45 Sabre,CB700SC,R1

mtc

Quote from: Motofun on May 19, 2020, 01:06:45 PM
you'll also need to fairing off too.  I match marked all the connectors with different colored tape prior to disassembly...was probably over kill but an old habit.  Also mark where the various clamps are on the old harness, lay the new harness along side of the old one and transfer the markings.  May seem extreme but everything goes back exactly where it should...oh, pictures don't hurt either.

thank you so not easy, fairing off pita
Current
1985 FJ1100

Previous Bikes
1984 FJ1100
1987 FZR600
1987 Fazer
1985 Vision
1982 Seca 750
1978 RD400 Spec II Motor

ribbert

Quote from: mtc on May 19, 2020, 01:13:57 PM

I don't know what's brought on the need for a complete harness change and I'm not game to ask but taking the fairing off needn't be a PIA, it will be though if you do it as described in the manual. If you remove it with the subframe however, it is both quick and easy and doesn't put the plastic mounting tabs at risk of breaking, and there's plenty who've done that.

If you have removed the fairing previously by the prescribed method, even once, doing it this way is a revelation.

It is these two bolts each side that you want, this will release the fairing, instruments, headlight etc as one unit, you don't even need to remove the mirrors or screen. This will make your task much easier.

Noel

"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Ted Schefelbein

I am an analog man, trapped in a digital parallel reality.

1989 FJ 1200

PaulG

Quote from: Ted Schefelbein on May 20, 2020, 09:17:31 AM
Now, you tell me.

Ted

Same thing happened to me.  First time by the book was several hours.  While doing it I was thinking this is reedikkooluss!  Then I found the easy way, less than 30m first time, even less the 2nd time.

Maybe that could be a new subject for the Files section?  "FJ HACKS" - simpler ways to do stuff like this, and I'm sure dozens of other things people have figured out over the decades.
1992 FJ1200 ABS
YouTube Channel Paul G

Pat Conlon

Good idea Paul....how about you and Noel get together and create a post....I think in the General Maintence section of the Files would be best.

Going my memory, using this method, I recall something was different on early FJ's.....?
Headlight connected to the fairing and not to the fairing stay (subframe)...something like that?

I can have my '84's fairing off in less than 30 minutes working slowly.  We 84/85 owners don't have to dick around with the choke cable like all the other FJ's have to deal with.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

mtc

Quote from: PaulG on May 20, 2020, 11:23:01 AM
Now, you tell me.

Ted

Same thing happened to me.  First time by the book was several hours.  While doing it I was thinking this is reedikkooluss!  Then I found the easy way, less than 30m first time, even less the 2nd time.

Maybe that could be a new subject for the Files section?  "FJ HACKS" - simpler ways to do stuff like this, and I'm sure dozens of other things people have figured out over the decades.

the igniter i bought from ebay came with a harness, ( he wouldn't break it up) that is why I ask, I don't need to do it, but I ask you, why would anyone want to do it, for what reason?
Current
1985 FJ1100

Previous Bikes
1984 FJ1100
1987 FZR600
1987 Fazer
1985 Vision
1982 Seca 750
1978 RD400 Spec II Motor

mtc

Quote from: ribbert on May 20, 2020, 03:40:29 AM
Quote from: mtc on May 19, 2020, 01:13:57 PM

I don't know what's brought on the need for a complete harness change and I'm not game to ask but taking the fairing off needn't be a PIA, it will be though if you do it as described in the manual. If you remove it with the subframe however, it is both quick and easy and doesn't put the plastic mounting tabs at risk of breaking, and there's plenty who've done that.

If you have removed the fairing previously by the prescribed method, even once, doing it this way is a revelation.

It is these two bolts each side that you want, this will release the fairing, instruments, headlight etc as one unit, you don't even need to remove the mirrors or screen. This will make your task much easier.

Noel

thank you very much
Current
1985 FJ1100

Previous Bikes
1984 FJ1100
1987 FZR600
1987 Fazer
1985 Vision
1982 Seca 750
1978 RD400 Spec II Motor

FJ_Hooligan

Quote from: Pat Conlon on May 20, 2020, 12:01:37 PM
I can have my '84's fairing off in less than 30 minutes working slowly.  We 84/85 owners don't have to dick around with the choke cable like all the other FJ's have to deal with.

Based on my experience, the 84/85 fairings are more difficult to remove.  I always have a hard time getting it to separate from the lower frame rails cleanly.  Seems like a lot of flexing is required.  Not a good think with 35 year old plastic.
DavidR.

Ted Schefelbein

Quote from: mtc on May 20, 2020, 12:12:32 PM
Now, you tell me.

Ted

the igniter i bought from ebay came with a harness, ( he wouldn't break it up) that is why I ask, I don't need to do it, but I ask you, why would anyone want to do it, for what reason?

Fire would be a good reason.

Ted
I am an analog man, trapped in a digital parallel reality.

1989 FJ 1200

ribbert

It's a great idea Paul, and there are plenty of them, but it would never work.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"