News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Taillight LED Upgrade #87,245,012

Started by FJ1200W, May 26, 2020, 02:12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJ1200W

The old 1157 dual element bulb.

Even the heavy duty ones would not last in my FJ.

I've tried a few different LED's and have not really "liked" any of them.

The popcorn looking ones (1st pic) appeared promising, but I could not really tell any difference when I put on the brakes, they did not light up enough. They should be significantly brighter than just the driving lights IMHO.

The last ones I put in worked better, they were a sealed type, but they did not radiate light. They sort of made bright little red circles. But the brake light was brighter.

While prowling the parts store, I noticed the Osram/Sylvania 2357R 12.8V 2.5/0.4W Bulb set which is compatible with 1157/2057.

Two for $25.00 and I forgot my coupon for $5.00 anything.

"Off Road Use Only" is marked on the package, interesting.

Made in Taiwan - I'm good with that.

It's red - my lens is already red. Red is red.

Anyone else try these yet?

Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA

red

FJ1200W,

White LEDs make very little red light, and do not work well inside red lenses.  They can be bright when outside the lens, but still look dim when trying to get light through a red lens.  A red LED should be much better, working inside a red lens.  The closer the LED light output matches the color of the lens, the brighter they will be, in use.

Why would they be "off-road use only?"
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Charlie-brm

I don't know why it is so hard in 2020 to find the Lumens specs for bulbs. It used to be all over the interweb.
Taking an incandescent type as a baseline we're familiar with, this style of bulb would be listed at 503 Lumens.

Folks might get something out of watching this brief video comparing the better ZEVO line of Sylvania lamps to incandsecent, both day and night and running vs brake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1CRoPHe0fU. The good stuff is in slow motion so you can really catch the difference in how quickly an LED comes to full brightness. And I can see that the difference of running to brake is greater for the ZEVO. That's a major thing for me; having it very obvious when the light indicates braking after someone has been hypnotized by fixating on your running light, or turned away and missed the transition.
If someone wants to see any images I refer to in posts, first check my gallery here. If no bueno, send me a PM. More than glad to share.
Current Model: 1990 FJ1200 3CV since 2020
Past Models: 1984 FJ1100 - 2012 to 2020
1979 XS750SF - 2005 to 2012

FJ_Hooligan

DavidR.

FJmonkey

I have been using these for the past ten years. https://ddmtuning.com/index.php

HID for the sun facing forward, and dash lamps. They have some kick ass red lamps in single and dual lamps. 
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Motofun

Why spend big bucks for a problem?  The Yamaha incandescent bulbs last decades.  Of course the junk you buy at the 7-11 or the autozone won't, so pony up a few more schekels for the good stuff.
'69 Honda Trail 90
'75 Honda CB400F
'85 Yamaha RZ350
'85 Yamaha FJ1100
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
'09 Yamaha 125 Zuma
'09 Kawasaki KZ110 (grand kids)
'13 Suzuki GSXR 750 (track)
'14 Yamaha FZ-09
'18 Suzuki GSXR 1000R (track)
'23 Yamaha Tenere 7
SOLD: CBX,RZ500,Ninja 650,CB400F,V45 Sabre,CB700SC,R1

ribbert

Quote from: Motofun on May 27, 2020, 06:38:04 AM
The Yamaha incandescent bulbs last decades.  Of course the junk you buy at the 7-11 or the autozone won't, so pony up a few more schekels for the good stuff.

My LED brake light globes have been in so long I don't even remember what type of globe they are but I do remember I bought a few different types before I was happy.

One of the reasons for LED brake lights is the speed at which they light up is as eye catching as the light itself once illuminated, I like that. To add further to being seen I have a brake light modulator that flashes the light when first applied and then settles into a solid light. The duration and rate of the flashing period is adjustable, it is very eye catching and only works with an LED. A rapid flashing, very bright brake light in a sea of tail lights really stands out.
I currently have the flashing sequence set for about 4 seconds, then solid. It does have the option of remaining in flashing mode for the duration.

If I'm going to get taken out on my bike, I at least want a good story to tell, being rear ended at an intersection isn't it.

Quoting globe life can be deceptive. You say Yamaha(??) globes last decades, their life is more closely linked to mileage than years and most bikes don't do a lot of miles.

Charlie, sounds like one of those modulators with LED's would suit you.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

giantkiller

It's kinda ironic. But my brother has had the flashing brake light as well as the flashing head light on his bikes for as long as I can remember. And he's been rear-ended twice. The last one really messed up his back. Just goes to show there are idiots that won't see anything.

He's the one who lost his leg. After a teenage girl turned and drove over him from the side, as he rode through the intersection. And that was before there were cell phones
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

red

Quote from: ribbert on May 27, 2020, 09:06:06 AMI have a brake light modulator that flashes the light when first applied and then settles into a solid light. The duration and rate of the flashing period is adjustable, it is very eye catching and only works with an LED. A rapid flashing, very bright brake light in a sea of tail lights really stands out.
I currently have the flashing sequence set for about 4 seconds, then solid. It does have the option of remaining in flashing mode for the duration.
Noel,

What brake light modulator do you have there?  Do you know which LED lamps you have? 
I can certainly do a Search across the market, but your good experience counts, when buying new gear. 
Thanks.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

FJ1200W

Video to bulbs working - they're great.

https://youtu.be/LAGpZc6aF30

Yes, I have a little exhaust leak.

But like the popping  :good2:
Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA

FJ1200W

Ah, the left bulb seems to of failed.
Driving light only, no brake.
2 years ago they were installed, thanks to the forum documentation.
I better check my voltage and the sockets.
Anyone updated to a wedge type bulb? (3157)
I guess the socket tabs to housing are probably proprietary to the FJ?
Fun fun fun
Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA

FJ1200W

My FJ eats taillight bulbs. It seemed I was replacing them a couple times a season. One would almost always burn out, and it's a twin bulb taillight. 
A couple of years ago, I went with a pair of the he latest, greatest not so cheap LED bulbs.
Supposed to last a lifetime!
Sure, whatever, one of them burnt out!
Luckily I found my old boxes of "vintage" bulbs, and decided to just go back old school.
I have noticed the bulb sockets that twist on to the taillight housing, never would really "tighten" down when you twist them, they wiggle a small amount.
I theorize this may be a contributing attribute to the continual failures. (That was a mouthful)
By placing a small o-ring on the bulb socket, the socket was extremely secure.
Possibly the life of the bulbs will be extended, we'll only know in time.

I can't remember where I got these bulbs. I believe they were a part of an inventory of Suzuki parts I bought in Amazonia, Missouri. Look at those fancy LED bulbs, both have the same crack, you can see one of them. One bulb quit working on the brake side. "Good brake lights are a good thing" or so I remember Kwai Chang Caine quoting Master Chen Ming Kan.

The Harbor Freight assortment of every size of O-Rings that fit nothing finally come through.
I believe this will deduce vibration at the socket, extending bulb life. It may also provide a better seal.
Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA

Ted Schefelbein

You guys complaining about short life of taillights are probably coming up on a voltage regulator. Been there, done that.

Ted
I am an analog man, trapped in a digital parallel reality.

1989 FJ 1200

Millietant

It's weird that after 32 years and 86,000 miles I was still on both original stop/tail light bulbs.

After seeing the brightness of a pair of LED's in a friends bike, I switched to LED's in my bike (£10 for 2 delivered) and the difference in brightness for both stop and tail function is great. The original bulbs are wrapped in tissue paper and a plastic bag in my tailpiece, just in case one fails.

Even though my battery will boil dry on long tours in hot weather (unless I top it up once a week) I don't think I'm suffering Reg/Rec issues yet. My batteries usually last 6-7 years on the FJ although they do live on a battery tender as soon as I turn the ignition off at home.

My FZ1 is still on the original battery at 21 years old.
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

FJ1200W

Quote from: Ted Schefelbein on April 27, 2022, 09:35:19 PM
You guys complaining about short life of taillights are probably coming up on a voltage regulator. Been there, done that.

Ted

Thank you for your professional reply.

You could have easily said I was bitchin' and whinnin' like a Karen-eve.

Seriously, I do believe I'm ready for a regulator.

I need to test that ASAP.

Might explain why my blinkers are inop ?
Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA