News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

One more modification.

Started by Ted Schefelbein, May 30, 2020, 10:29:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted Schefelbein

I had no real intentions of any more modifications to my FJ. But, this one seemed like a good idea to me:

I didn't know there was a fork brace available when I bought the bike, and didn't know the benefits of one when I bought the bike. Well made piece that I am very happy with. Took a quick spin right before curfew tonight (my county is locked down) and it seems like a great addition.

Thanks to RPM.

Ted
I am an analog man, trapped in a digital parallel reality.

1989 FJ 1200

Pat Conlon

Quote from: Ted Schefelbein on May 30, 2020, 10:29:43 PM
I had no real intentions of any more modifications to my FJ.
But......

Ha!
I've said the same thing.....many times,
It's a slippery slope Ted and you are just starting..  as you will see.

When my lady gives me the stink eye on spending, I tell her it's for safety.
Works every time.

What you need to go with that fork brace are the fork dust seals that have the rock  protection tab that keeps the nicks and pits off your stanchion tubes
Aviation Fred can show you a picture and find you a FleaBay link.

Just one more mod......
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Ted Schefelbein

Pat,
Excellent suggestion. However, I am 60 years old. I'm not sure I will be an FJ rider at 70. There are no cross country excursions planned, I am a casual rider at the moment. I don't see that changing.Getting the thing up on the center stand is something I plan a lot more carefully than young me used to do.

I'm not sure the guards would be something I desperately need.

Thanks for the tip. Not terribly interested in taking forks apart for that.

Ted

1989 FJ 1200

Pat Conlon

Baaaaa, You're still a kid, I'm 67 and (by the grace of God) I plan on riding another 10 years.....

....then, I'm going to look at a trike mod for my FJ.....yea, some 15"x10" back rims and some gum balls....

That should give me another 5 years...or so....

Cross country trips on the FJ are the best.
The excitement, anticipation of seeing all my FJ friends, telling stories,  getting up a 4am and leaving the desert as the sun comes up...what a beautiful show....empty highways, singing to my music on my Sena and my Camelback full of ice water, the warmth of my electric vest and handgrips, my FJ purring like a kitten, yea, she's happy, the terrible but wonderful taste of gas station coffee at my first gas stop.....I could go on and on but you get the idea.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

oldktmdude

Quote from: Pat Conlon on June 01, 2020, 05:15:07 PM

Cross country trips on the FJ are the best.
The excitement, anticipation of seeing all my FJ friends, telling stories,  getting up a 4am and leaving the desert as the sun comes up...what a beautiful show....empty highways, singing to my music on my Sena and my Camelback full of ice water, the warmth of my electric vest and handgrips, my FJ purring like a kitten, yea, she's happy, the terrible but wonderful taste of gas station coffee at my first gas stop.....I could go on and on but you get the idea.

Stop that Pat, I have to work today.
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
1980 Kawasaki Z1R Mk11 (sold and still regretting it)
1979 Kawasaki Z650 (sold)
1985 Suzuki GSXR 400 x2 (next project)
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300
1981 Honda CB 900 F (sold)
1989 Kawasaki GPX 600 Adventure

Ted Schefelbein

Maybe I should point out I am a 60 year old-with a 13 year old, and a wife who speaks English as a second language.

The focus can't simply be on me.

I might do some rallys, but, the bike isn't the priority it was in the 1990s. I'm not too sad, it simply is what it is.

Ted

1989 FJ 1200

Millietant

Hey Ted, I'm 60, with a wife who speaks English as her second language (despite being born in the U.K.) - she might deny it, but when she talks in her sleep, or swears when she gets hurt or shocked, it's always in French.....in fact, I fell for her French accent on the phone before I even met her !!.

My dad rode his GSX 600 until he was 77 and only gave up when due to 2 years of cancer treatments he couldn't hold the bike up when sat on it at a standstill if he wasn't on flat level ground........and he toppled off at junctions about half a dozen times before he finally hung up his rider pants (still came with me on pillion). Having a 13 year old means you can now be the coolest dad, if you engage them in your hobby (which I believe you do).

Motorcycling has always been a family pursuit for us and one of the key things that kept and still keeps our kids close to us (even though our youngest is 25). My nephew aged 5 has been riding electric motorcycles for over 2 years now (he rides an Oset 20 trials bike) and that's all he wants to talk about whenever he sees me and riding is what my brother and he do every opportunity they get. My niece will be 4 shortly but she's already riding her brother's older smaller XTM motorcycle.......kids aren't a reason to stop, or limit your riding  :good: :good:

We have a friend who last year, at 82, completed a 5 day, 250 mile bicycle ride with us and he can still ride a motorcycle comfortably, although he doesn't own one (his son does).

With all of this, I reckon I have at least 20 years of riding still left.....and that's what you should be thinking too Ted, be positive  :good2: :good2:.............and let the moditis infect you  :sarcastic:
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

krusty

Quote from: Ted Schefelbein on June 01, 2020, 04:30:05 PM
Pat,
Excellent suggestion. However, I am 60 years old. I'm not sure I will be an FJ rider at 70. There are no cross country excursions planned, I am a casual rider at the moment. I don't see that changing.Getting the thing up on the center stand is something I plan a lot more carefully than young me used to do.

I'm not sure the guards would be something I desperately need.

Thanks for the tip. Not terribly interested in taking forks apart for that.

Ted
I'll be 72 this year and still ride my FJs as well as my 1989 GL1500 Goldwing. My FJ12 is a bit of a beast to get onto the centre stand but, by contrast, my FJ11 is easy. The GL1500 is easier than both the FJs - it needs to be. I rarely use the side stands unless the ground is uneven or has some slope. 
91 FJ1200
84 FJ1100 x 2
85 FJ1100
89 GL1500
76 CB750F1
72 CB350F
63 C92 x 2
59 C76
62 C100
63 C100
60 Colleda 250TA x 3
63 Suzuki MD50
77 DT125E
77 DT175E x 2
79 DT250F

andyoutandabout

I'm reminded of the first Renegade Rally back in 2010, when Mark Olsen takes a breath and claims he's considering one more mod, then immediately backs up and reals off at least another 7.
Check the video, round about minute 18 if you don't want to marvel at how cool we all were (and still are).

https://vimeo.com/showcase/4199853/video/189408024
life without a bike is just life

Ted Schefelbein

I thank all of you for your kind words. They are very much appreciated.

I am considered an essential employee at the U of M, and have worked 4 days this week. The madness in Minneapolis has been perhaps 10 miles from home, 4 or 5 blocks from work. The motorcycle hasn't been ridden since the trouble began. It isn't the bikes fault.
Getting home, safely, has been a distinct concern. My family really doesn't go anyplace without me, and, we have been avoiding areas and times of day when safety could be compromised by, let's just say, others.

At the moment, other things are in the viewfinder, and the bike has been far down on the list of priorities. The COVID19 thing gave me peace, clarity, and time to work on it, right now it is in the shop, with 1/2 tank of fuel, leaning on the side stand, waiting for better days.

I noticed the clock started working. It would go blank when I bought the bike, but has been chugging along, keeping perfect time, for several weeks. I check it every time I am out there.

Likely the FJ spirits want to remind me that time waits for no one.

Thanks again.

Ted

1989 FJ 1200

Ted Schefelbein

OK, my buddy and I skipped off on a 200 mile run last Saturday afternoon, we were only gone 5 hours or so, so the speed was a bit hot there and back. We stopped for lunch, too. I am just getting my bike wheels back under me after a 13 year break in between bikes.
I noticed the mirrors leave something to be desired. I don't specifically recall that from FJ number 1, but, that was a long time ago. I seem to remember seeing a post here about a set of Honda mirrors, that appeared to be a bolt on to the FJ (I was reading a post I have misplaced, yes, I did attempt to search it, my results were no-go) but, I'd like to see what other guys have done. I am not interested in modifications to the fairing, or changing anything that would keep the factory mirrors from being installed.
Yes, Pat, it is a "safety" thing. Wink, wink.

Ted

1989 FJ 1200

Waiex191

I've been trolling through the modifications section and have made it to page 28 so far. I think I saw CBR250 mirrors mentioned.
Bryan
1989 FJ1200
1981 Suzuki GN400
Poplar Grove, IL

Millietant

Yes, I also recall seeing that 2012 CBR 250 mirrors will fit with just a minor adjustment (slotting) of the mounting holes on the mirrors - which is covered up by the rubber covers once the mirrors are in position.

I seem to think Fred might be a good source of knowledge on this mod, but I'm not 100% certain if the swap is applicable to both 3 XW's & 3CV's

Hopefully Fred reads this and can help us - I think I'm going to get a set of those mirrors for my 3CV.

Update.... I just put CBR 250 into the search box at the top right of the forum page and this came up straight away  :good2: :good2:

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=9605.msg92962#msg92962
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.