News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Fuel petcock rebuild kit FJ1200 vs XJR 1300

Started by Old Rider, June 06, 2020, 03:23:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Rider

I have developed a fuelpetcock airleak on my 1986  FJ1200 1TX .When i do the sucktest on vacuumehose there is no vacuum air goes right thru .
If i suck harder the fuelvalve opens so it is working but i think it is not how it supposed to work ?.
I want to buy a rebuildkit from RPM but with the new import and duty taxes here in Norway the prise will be 3 times the original. Here in Norway it is not possible to find the FJ1200 rebuild kit ,but the kit for xjr1300 is available .I have compared the pictures of the kits and they look similar when it comes to the diaphragms and the shut off plate and oring.
Can anyone confirm they are similar ?  

Old Rider

My vacuumleaking fuel petcock is now fixed.
Because of covid 19 the postage from united states to Norway takes about 2 months i cant order from RPM which sells the repset for FJ1200

Therefore i had to find another way fixing the vacuumleak petcock.
I tried the XJR 1200 repkit, but the membrane is too big so i had to use another yamaha repkit .The repkit i used has exactly the same size membranes and holes as the FJ ,but the center bolt with the O-ring is smaller so i then dismantled both the old original membranes who is fitted on the bike and the repkit i bought.
Then i used the original centerbolt and mounted the membranes from the new kit on that bolt.It was a little fiddly to get the bolt off because it is pressed / clinked on.i used a dremel too cut away the brass metal ring .the metalbrass ring on the other kit i got off without damaging it.
then i clinked the bolt on the end and i had a new kit ready to fit.

After fitting the repkit and tested too suck the vacuumhose i got a surprise  :shok: it was still leaking vacuum  :dash2:
Then after some more investigation i could feel air on my chin when blowing into the vacuumhose then i took the hole fuel petcook off the gastank and find that the  vacuumleak is coming from the backside of the petcook where the 2 electrical wires goes in.
The rubber grommet there was toast . i then took off the 4 screws holding the shield with the wires and lightly smeared some gasoline and heat resistant silicone on the gasket surfaces and on the backside
where the electrical wires go in.
After that had cured i tested to suck vacuumhose again and now it is not possible to suck any air at all and its working. :yahoo:
The cyl 1 now is possible to adjust mixturescrew and the backfire is gone

How i find that i had a vacuumleaking petcock ??  i had a lean condition on cylinder 1 the sparkplug was much whiter than the others and i also
had a deceleration backfire that i could not get rid off. First i tried to richen the mixture on cyl 1 but that did not help and when
adjusting the mixturescrews with engine running cyl 1 did not respond i could screw the mixturescrew all way in and all way out with no responce in rpm either way that is a sign that its leaking false air.The vacumhose which opens the petcock is attached to cyl 1 so that is how i find that my petcock had a vacuumleak.
It did work "sort off" because it did open the fuelpassage when sucking the vacuumhose and it did also shut off fuel ,But that does not help much if it leak air into cylinder making a lean condition. it can also leak fuel into vacuumhose and fill the cylinder with fuel and make a hydraulic lock and bend the pistonrod or fill the crankcase with fuel that is not good eather.