News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Filters

Started by Greg C, June 08, 2020, 03:59:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg C

I apologize if this has already been answered, but can these https://www.rpmracingca.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Carb%3ARPMPod filters be installed without changing jets/pipes?

Thank you!
1990 FJ1200
Previous Bikes
1992 FJ1200
1983 GL650
1982 CB650
1980 CB750
1978 KZ200 (first bike)

FJmonkey

If the OEM exhaust is still used you may not need to change the jetting. Changing the air restriction is what requires a jet change. The OEM exhaust is a restriction that is not changing in your case. I changed to the UNI and exhaust so I did change the carbs.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

FJ_Hooligan

You wouldn't necessarily need to rejet the carbs, but you definitely want to shim the slide needles up a tiny bit
DavidR.

jono

one thing about the dual pods or any pod filter system that worries me is the carb mounting, if you use pods,

are the carburetors  only supported by the clamps on the 4 rubber inlet manifolds ?

jono

1991 fj1200

ribbert

Quote from: jono on June 09, 2020, 04:29:04 AM
one thing about the dual pods or any pod filter system that worries me is the carb mounting, if you use pods,

are the carburetors  only supported by the clamps on the 4 rubber inlet manifolds ?

jono

Those manifolds are short and very rigid. There have been literally millions of miles done by members of this forum alone without issue. Mine have done 200K without a hint of stress. Once seated, the carbs don't naturally want to fall off anyway, even without the clamps. Just make sure the surfaces are clean (and I mean clean, wipe with solvent clean) and don't over tighten the clamps, it will squeeze them off.

Worry not, the path has been well trodden before you.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

jono

sounds good I'm sick of mounting my air box  I was worried about the carbs not staying 100% sealed due to there weight and vibration but if other people don't have problems
I'll give the dual pods a go

jono
1991 fj1200