News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Front sprocket shaft oil seal replacement

Started by stou, June 19, 2020, 05:30:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stou

There's a leak from the front sprocket shaft oil seal. I tried to replace the seal like I do with regular seal  with no success. This seal have a lip all around that go into a grove in the engine cases, that make it difficult to install without spliting the cases. I heated the cases with a heat gun to get the metal to expand, but it did not much to help the seal install.

Is there a trick to do it?

copper

Did you contact whoever you got the seal from? I contact Randy or Robert at RPM if I can't figure something out that I got from them and they are more than happy to help.

FJ_Hooligan

You need to use a non-OEM seal without the lip.

I believe that's what RPM sells
DavidR.

RPM - Robert

Nope, the seal we sell is the Yamaha seal. If it is like the crank seal, there were two different seals. The original seal had a big lip that sets in a grove and allowed for assembly line/ machine assisted assembly. The later replacement seals did not have these lips on them as you would not be able to replace with out having to split the case halves. The crank seal I know superseded from 00-09 ending. I don't have any old seals as we send them back with the owner or toss them out to show the difference.

I know the crank seal superseded to a 09 from an 00 ending but I don't have/see a different number for the transmission seal.

Also, been awhile since I had a completely stock/untouched motor apart and do not recall if the trans seal is like the crank seal. Most the engines we are building have been worked on before and all the seals replaced.

stou

Quote from: FJ_Hooligan on June 19, 2020, 11:02:29 AM

I bought an OEM seal at my Yamaha dealer. Before that I looked at General Bearing near home and they only have a 5mm in those size, no 6mm. I'll look around for a non lip 6mm. Also the seal of the clutch push rod is not easy to get. 8.8x22x5. I have one on order at the dealer, but they are back order. I can't find that size on the web.

Thanks for the info!

RPM - Robert

Quote from: stou on June 19, 2020, 01:29:33 PM

Also the seal of the clutch push rod is not easy to get. 8.8x22x5. I have one on order at the dealer, but they are back order. I can't find that size on the web.

You're not looking in the right place then. I might even know a guy that has a few thousand in stock, just maybe. :mail1:

stou

Quote from: RPM - Robert on June 19, 2020, 02:59:29 PM

Also the seal of the clutch push rod is not easy to get. 8.8x22x5. I have one on order at the dealer, but they are back order. I can't find that size on the web.

You're not looking in the right place then. I might even know a guy that has a few thousand in stock, just maybe. :mail1:

:shok: :shok: :shok: You have the 8.8x22x5 in stock? I looked twice on your website and didn't saw them!

big r

Stou, if you don't see it just ask. Randy will probably have it or will know were to get it. He is amazing at getting parts and his delivery is really fast to

stou

I saw this kit who have the seal in it:

https://www.rpmracingca.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Clutch%3AS%2FK&cat=39

I ordered this kit last winter to rebuild the clutch slave cylinder! I looked in my boxes of parts and found the 8.8x22x5 seal!

Now I just have to find the 40x62x6 without lip. This will be easier, I saw this size on some website. Maybe the 40x62x5 can also do the job. There's some available at a shop near home.

RPM - Robert

Quote from: stou on June 19, 2020, 03:31:26 PM
Quote from: RPM - Robert on June 19, 2020, 02:59:29 PM

:shok: :shok: :shok: You have the 8.8x22x5 in stock? I looked twice on your website and didn't saw them!

Yes indeedy. They are listed with the Yamaha number not the size

http://www.rpmracingca.com/proddetail.asp?prod=93109-08061

Glad you found one you can use.

stou

racerrad8

That is the only trans output seal I have ever seen or used. Yes, there is a small lip/ridge to position the seal properly during a build.

As far as replacing the seal, that is the only seal I am aware of for use. You must use a driver and drive it in using only the outer edge. The rubber lip will shear off and you just drive it in until flush.

If you drive anywhere other than the outer edge of the seal, it will leak...

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM