News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

1989 FJ1200-my first-

Started by redagain, June 21, 2020, 03:59:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redagain

Hi all..after years of wanting one I just picked up my first FJ..its an 89...Its in very nice shape...just that it has sat in mothballs indoors for a good spell..carbs were a mess as was the hydraulics (front and rear brakes and clutch)...Ive got the hydraulics all cleaned up and working...have the carbs all done except waiting on float hinge pins from partszilla as they didnt come out without a fight. While waiting thought id check the electrics..dropped in new battery...all good..thought id just bump the starter make sure that was good...just got red lights on dash...I pulled fuel pump to flush it...while that was out i tapped starter and engine bumped over normally..this bike is super clean and untampered with..7200 original miles...got it for 900 bucks. Tank was a mess inside..nothing was drained when the keys were hung up... but after a cleaning and a cider vinegar soak its good but sending unit wasnt saveable. was just wondering whats up with engine not bumping over with fuel pump plugged in...dry pump safety measure? or am i facing a electrical issue. I just got bike and havent got a found a manual yet...[img][/ihttps://ibb.co/3YS0QXnmg]

redagain

Waiex191

Nice!  And the best year too. Mine turned over with the fuel pump out.
https://youtu.be/mjeyf-bbH2M

My project thread:
http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=19343.0
Bryan
1989 FJ1200
1981 Suzuki GN400
Poplar Grove, IL

Millietant

You've got a real bargain there for $900 Red....the kind of bargain most of us only dream about.

Plastics look peerfect, pipes look good, everything else just looks like it needs a clean, polish and a few touch-ups.

Simple questions to start with - when you turn the ignition on can you hear the fuel pump priming? is the bike in neutral when you press the starter button ? and is the kill switch set to run ?

Sorry for asking the stupid questions first, but we have to eliminate all the obvious things before we get into deeper issues.

You mentioned getting the hydraulics cleaned up and working - one thing to think about is that your rubber hoses are now 30 years old and could well be perished, even from the inside. Purely for peace of mind, I'd be replacing the hoses with braided stainless ones (RPM is your friend here) before attempting any stoppies on your FJ  :sarcastic:

Bet of luck with your tinkering.
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

redagain

no worries on the questions millietant...gotta ask em...been riding since i was 14..53 now...and sometimes boneheaded things happen..but yeah i covered all those what-ifs as i was trying to bump it...i did have the clutch master cyl off at the time..unsure of those two wires thinking it could be a safety switch..i jumped them also...when i first tried bumping it and fuel pump was still in place it made no noise...note that no tank was on...it was dry..but it was goign to be a brief bump. when i pressed button just two red lights came on on the dash..no priming noise...no motor bump over...once i unplugged fuel pump and hit button it bumped over. Maybe once this is all back together with juice in it all will be good. And good advice on brake lines...at the moment I want to just take it around the block...then will go SS for sure..have them on my CB750four and my 83 GPZ. thx todd

FJ1200W

Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA

redagain

well got her all back together, everything worked as it should..no issues..well a few..but overall getting it out of mothballs wasnt too bad...clutch slave was tricky bleeding it...but rode it today...what an animal! I like.