News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Dyna Ignition and Timing Advance

Started by RevDeal, July 08, 2020, 10:24:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RevDeal

First off, let me say that I have no experience with adjusting timing. That said, the Dyna 2000 ignition was already on the bike when I got it. I want to know what I should check to see if the timing has been advanced or where it has been set.

I am including an old picture. The rev limiter has been turned down, but the advance/retard timing has stayed the same at 1. Does anyone have any advice. Should I turn up the advancement a few more degrees, not mess with it, do a base line test? I am not sure where to start.

Jacob
1992 FJ1200A (ABS Delete) 
1980 CB750k (gone to a new home)

RevDeal

Excuse my ignorance above. I said advance timing on the initial post was controlled by the module. That was wrong. Sorry. Advancement curve. Have more pictues. It seems like I am set at 39° timing and set at advancement curve 1.
Does this seem right?

Jacob

FJ_Hooligan

You need to download the manual from the Dyna website.  Those Advance numbers and NOT degrees, they are separate timing curves.

The manual will explain it all.  You change the static advance by rotating the pickup plate.

EDIT:
Oops, looks like you got it now.
DavidR.

RevDeal

Quote from: FJ_Hooligan on July 08, 2020, 12:24:26 PM
You need to download the manual from the Dyna website.  Those Advance numbers and NOT degrees, they are separate timing curves.

The manual will explain it all.  You change the static advance by rotating the pickup plate.

EDIT:
Oops, looks like you got it now.

Thanks for catching it. When I went back out to look for the manual, I noticed that I had been off.

Should I try to adjust the 1-4 mark to match perfectly with the line?

JMR

I'd set your advance to 35 or 36 (BTDC). You are currently at 39

RevDeal

Quote from: JMR on July 09, 2020, 08:05:29 AM

This is done by losing the two allen bolts and sliding the blue plate? Anything else

JMR

Quote from: RevDeal on July 09, 2020, 08:07:24 AM
Quote from: JMR on July 09, 2020, 08:05:29 AM

This is done by losing the two allen bolts and sliding the blue plate? Anything else
Correct