News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Greetings from Mackay, Australia

Started by Cam109, July 27, 2020, 10:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cam109

Hi all, I bought my 88 Shiny Black 3Cv in 1990 with 20,000 K's on the clock. After a few years I gradually made a few mods - Givi Screen, upgraded fork springs, custom made carry rack, a 18inch FZR1000 rear wheel and more.

Love the bike, gave me near 20 yrs of great service with the only ever fail once (not starting) when the battery had run dry (oops). It went off the road in 2008 when I started (and near completed) my custom made fairing that you can see pictured.

The bike is about to hit the road once again, though paint yet to be completed in the finished colour (and decals).

Carl

FJmonkey

Welcome Carl, looking good, happy you found our digital campfire.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

red

Carl,

Nice looking bike!   :hi:   Welcome to the campfire!

How much of the fairing is your work?  I like the lower (red) part, for having air scoops near the bottom, near the chin.  Fully faired, I think the FJ needs good cooling air.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Cam109

Hi EJ, thanks, I'm not the best navigator, but given time I should find my way around. I haven't posted before but used the wealth of info here many times.

Cam109

Hi Red, thanks mate.

I hand made all the section forward and below the main vent of the fairing. I chopped up a donor cowl, A GPZ600, (I know, but I couldn't find an FZR one at the time). I only used the front bit and vents, widened it about 100mm, and fabricated the rest myself.

Finding the right paint has been impossible, so I painted the cowl red just to see how it looked, oh and had to by a matching screen. It might stay red, I kinda like it.

Carl

Cam109

Hey Red, re the cooling

Yes it may be an issue in traffic, but it won't see a lot of it. I welded in a flap(flute?) each side inner fairing which sits vertically in front of the barrel fins, hopefully forcing otherwise wasted cool air into the fins, when mobile of course.

It's a highway bike so I don't think it's ever going to be an issue, again hopefully, : )

Carl

roverfj1200

Welcome to the forum. Lots of Aussies here. We also hang out on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/YamahaFJOwnersAust/

Richard
1988 FJ1200
1991 FJ1200

Richard.

T Legg

You have a nice looking bike. I have an FJ 1100 with a full fairing . The air scoops are smaller than the scoops on the 1200's but I've never had overheating problems. In the cold weather it's nice to have the warm air directed across your legs. In the hottest part of summer I leave the lower fairing off so I stay cooler. The full fairing will increase your top speed by about 35 mph (just kidding).
T Legg

Troyskie

G'day Carl, welcome to the forum. As Richard said, plenty of Aussies here mate.

QLD are probably the most active group, but mostly around Brissy.

Troyskie
1984 FJ1100 Ms Effie brand new :)
1984 FJ1100 Pearlie, stock as.
1985 FJ1100 Mr Effie 647,000K and still running hard.
1985 FJ1200 'Yummy' takes a licking & keeps on ticking
After all is said and done, more is said than done :)
2013 Trumpy Tiger 800, let's do a lap of Oz

Cam109

Hi, good to see another similarly modded bike,

It's reassuring hearing you've had no heat issues, though I'm pretty confident only traffic jam in summer situations will be the only drawback, but they get pretty warm like that anyway. My aim is to avoid em.

I think the extra weight is gonna cull my top speed a bit, rather than enhance it, but an extra 35 ish mph wouldn't be a bad thing, lol

Cam109

Hey Troyskie, I'm in the Facebook FJ Owners but I haven't been on Fb for ages. I might post some pics there but I want to complete the bike first.

I just had to get the poor thing mobile while covid gave me some spare time.

Cheers

Troyskie

I think COVID has allowed many bits of maintenance procrastination to be sorted mate. :sarcastic:
1984 FJ1100 Ms Effie brand new :)
1984 FJ1100 Pearlie, stock as.
1985 FJ1100 Mr Effie 647,000K and still running hard.
1985 FJ1200 'Yummy' takes a licking & keeps on ticking
After all is said and done, more is said than done :)
2013 Trumpy Tiger 800, let's do a lap of Oz

Cam109

You're not the first biker to mention that 'P' word to me,  re the FJ,   :smile:

Pat Conlon

1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Cam109

Hi Pat. Cheers, it's good to see so many ppl here sharing so much about our chosen bike