News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

porous block?

Started by mike g, August 07, 2020, 03:24:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike g

I seem to have an oil mist on the right front of the block (where the oil goes up the stud) I've checked that it isn't leaking at the head gasket (or base) also the oil cooler hoses and front fork. only thing I can think of is the barrel casting is porous, any one had this issue? and if so any fixes?

ribbert

Quote from: mike g on August 07, 2020, 03:24:23 AM
I seem to have an oil mist on the right front of the block (where the oil goes up the stud) I've checked that it isn't leaking at the head gasket (or base) also the oil cooler hoses and front fork. only thing I can think of is the barrel casting is porous, any one had this issue? and if so any fixes?

Mike, I'd be looking elsewhere for the source of the misting, for a number of reasons casting porosity is unlikely to be the culprit. However, Randy's the man, he's seen the inside of more of these engines than anyone, I suggest you wait for him to weigh in, he'll know where it's coming from.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Paul.1478

I had oil "misting" on the right side of my 93. First noticed on my boots after a ride. After cleaning and adding some cornstarch to track the leak, it was coming between the head and barrel at the galley that brings oil to the head. there is a small rubber gasket that failed. May by your source. not a hard fix but I would not want to do it again.

good luck.
2006 GL1800
2009 KLR650
1976 RD400
1993 FJ 1200 ABS

red

Quote from: mike g on August 07, 2020, 03:24:23 AMI seem to have an oil mist on the right front of the block (where the oil goes up the stud) I've checked that it isn't leaking at the head gasket (or base) also the oil cooler hoses and front fork. only thing I can think of is the barrel casting is porous, any one had this issue? and if so any fixes?
Mike,

Clean that entire area as well as you can, and spray aerosol body powder on the areas where you have seen the oil.  Watch that sprayed area closely (often) and the powder will tell you where the oil comes from, before the oil can spread all over.  It won't fix the leak, sure, but you will know what you need to fix.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

mike g

Quote from: red on August 07, 2020, 09:25:27 AM
Quote from: mike g on August 07, 2020, 03:24:23 AMI seem to have an oil mist on the right front of the block (where the oil goes up the stud) I've checked that it isn't leaking at the head gasket (or base) also the oil cooler hoses and front fork. only thing I can think of is the barrel casting is porous, any one had this issue? and if so any fixes?
Mike,

Clean that entire area as well as you can, and spray aerosol body powder on the areas where you have seen the oil.  Watch that sprayed area closely (often) and the powder will tell you where the oil comes from, before the oil can spread all over.  It won't fix the leak, sure, but you will know what you need to fix.
I thought that joint might be an issue and ran it with some tissue wedged in the gap - but the inside stayed clean, so don't think it's that. But the oil does go up that corner of the block which was leading me to think of the porosity issue, I don't get oil on my boots, but the pannier (when fitted) does pick up a mist.

mike g

oops, that didn't work how I intended,
thanks for all the prompt replies,
I suppose i will need another go at the track and trace, I think i've still got some talc in the garage!

racerrad8

Pictures of the area in question will help. You say the block, but is that the case or the cylinder?

Randy - RPM

Randy - RPM

mike g

i mean the cylinder block, seems only to be where the fins are, front right, where the oil gallery is, doesn't seem to be coming out of the head/ barrel joint or base.
will see what i can do picture wise

Starquest

Yep. I have the same problem. It's the o-ring between the head and the block. Mine is leaking a little bit. I clean before I ride and after a couple hours I see a little oil from the gasket area.