News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

no go

Started by kawonda750, July 29, 2020, 08:17:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kawonda750

Hi
I have an FJ1100 1985 that has been sitting since 2005. Battery is new. I press the start button and the oil light comes on which I hear is normal but nothing happens. I thought it was the solenoid and replaced it but still nothing. The starter turns if I short across the solenoid but the bike does not start. I have lights and horn too.

Today I will check the kill switch and starter button. Oh yeah, the starter worked for a while when I put the new battery in. Anything else I should try?
Thanks
Dave

Old Rider

Hi and welcome try to use a little piece of wire and jump the connections going to  the clutchswitch under the reservoir also try to
do the same on the sidestandswitch its the green connection under the left sidecover.

kawonda750

I used a small wire and tried both the clutch and sidestand switches. No difference. Still nothing. The RUN switch seems in good condition as well as the start switch. Short of the replacement solenoid being faulty, I am stumped.  I have 12.3 volts on the battery. I have a trickle charger on it now just in case. :Facepalm:

T Legg

Here is a schematic
T Legg

kawonda750

Could it be the starter relay switch? Sorry, starter control switch... Is there a test for that?

ajacstern

The Starter cutoff relay? That is for if one of the safety switches(clutch, in gear kickstand) are triggered. Yes you can bypass it by shorting the wire that it switches and that will let you test it. I would follow the activation wire for the starter solenoid and see where it isn't working. You can also bench test the solenoid. If the bike isn't starting even with starter motor I would try and check for spark. If no spark then there is either component failure or the wires going to the spark aren't getting power (bike thinks key isn't turned or a shutoff switch is engaged). 

T Legg

Quote from: kawonda750 on July 29, 2020, 06:31:30 PM
Could it be the starter relay switch? Sorry, starter control switch... Is there a test for that?
Since the oil light is coming on when the starter switch is pushed it shows the starter switch is working. Because the bike doesn't fire when you  jump the starter makes it sound like a bad kill switch .a bad kickstand switch could do that also but if that is the case you could put it into neutral and it would start. A bad kickstand relay would prevent it from firing but wouldn't affect the starter. A bad starter cutoff relay would prevent the starter from cranking but wouldn't keep it from firing if you jumped the starter. The same with the starter relay it wouldn't prevent the bike from firing.    I think that is how it works. Good luck.
T Legg

kawonda750

Starter is now working. It seems thst there is a loose wire in the fusebox. The ignition fuse in intact so I thought all was OK. I tried a new fuse and it worked. I then changed back to the old fuse and it still worked. Every so often it stops so I pull the fuse and put it back in and it goes.
It does seem that I must clean the carbs though. I get some firing but no steady running yet.

kawonda750

Everything is working now. I bought a 4 cylinder synch gauge and set the carbs this weekend. It runs pretty well now. The clutch lever is so worn down that I had to order a new lever. In the meantime , I put a 10 mm nut in between the master cylinder and lever and it works well.
This thing goes like crazy. It makes my Suzi GS1100 seem more like a 250. The Suzi is on the block now.
Unfortunately, here in Canada, winter will be here soon and I will have to wait until spring to get it on the road. I need a new front tire and I am going to replace the clutch plates. Other than that, it's just cleaning off 16 years of storage dirt and grime.

Thanks for the help in getting this going. I have a feeling that this is Yamalove....
Dave

Seanable

Quote from: kawonda750 on September 29, 2020, 10:09:03 AM
Everything is working now. I bought a 4 cylinder synch gauge and set the carbs this weekend. It runs pretty well now. The clutch lever is so worn down that I had to order a new lever. In the meantime , I put a 10 mm nut in between the master cylinder and lever and it works well.
This thing goes like crazy. It makes my Suzi GS1100 seem more like a 250. The Suzi is on the block now.
Unfortunately, here in Canada, winter will be here soon and I will have to wait until spring to get it on the road. I need a new front tire and I am going to replace the clutch plates. Other than that, it's just cleaning off 16 years of storage dirt and grime.

Thanks for the help in getting this going. I have a feeling that this is Yamalove....
Dave
I love bringing machines back from the dead. Usually a bit of love, fresh gas, and a good battery makes them breathe again. That is quite a hibernation. 15 years. Youre probably going to want to change all fluids (brake fluid absorbs moisture like crazy). Run it the first 100 miles like your breaking it in. Change the oil after around 1000 miles. Grease those bearings. Good luck!
"If it has wheels or tits, It will give you problems"
~SS

Pat Conlon

Check the date code on those tires!
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3