News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Another new rider

Started by Waiex191, August 04, 2020, 12:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waiex191

My kid did his rider's test today.  I took a half day off because on a permit he can't ride alone.

Here is the very start of the test on the mighty V30 Magna. He got the last cone on the slalom for a total of 3 out of 12 allowed points. Pass!

The Harley in the background is a dealer provided bike. They run a class and they had 10 students there for the test. Not all passed, and most were a bit shaky. The examiner mentioned to me that he looked very comfortable on the bike. He has had a lot of practice at the hangar and 600 miles on the road with his permit.

It was a real flashback to 1983 when my dad rode with me to DMV for my test.

I'm in no rush to get him on the FJ.  He is in no rush either.  A neighbor had given us the V30.  Low miles but had been sitting for a while like the rest of his collection of bikes.  I am a little afraid that having a cruiser for his first bike may have ruined him - he says he doesn't like the GN400 seating position.
Bryan
1989 FJ1200
1981 Suzuki GN400
Poplar Grove, IL

Bill_Rockoff

Congratulations! Now you get to ride together. 

My son rode my '89 a number of times during his learner's permit. However, he had about 10 years of dirt bike experience at the time, so it wasn't a wild new experience for him to ride something pretty powerful. The bike he was using at the time, and which he used for his road test, was a 250 Ninja. The first time we switched bikes on a longer ride and he got to put a few uninterrupted state-road miles, he said about the FJ, "Wow, that bike is definitely 'the Easy button.'" We did a number of day trips and a couple of FJ rallies that way, and it didn't take him long to get used to a longer trip or to riding the FJ.

That V30 magna is a sweet bike. They also make that engine in sportbike flavor (Interceptor 500) and in Large and Extra-Large size (Interceptor, Sabre, and Magna in 700/750cc and 1,000/1,100cc sizes.) But if you get out there together and switch bikes on the open road, i bet you that your son starts to see the benefit of a sport-touring riding position.

Enjoy!
Reg Pridmore yelled at me once

TRoy

:good2: right on !

Quote from: Waiex191 on August 04, 2020, 12:14:53 PM
My kid did his rider's test today.
It was a real flashback to 1983 when my dad rode with me to DMV for my test.
Peace & Love
86FJ 100K+
07Burg650
15Downtown300

Motofun

I took my son back 2000 for his MC test.  He did everything right...except...he kept his visor open because it so damn hot.  They flunked him for no eye protection even though he had his glasses on.  I figure when there's a 16 yo they will look for any reason.  It's ok by me as as a little humility can go a long ways. 
'69 Honda Trail 90
'75 Honda CB400F
'85 Yamaha RZ350
'85 Yamaha FJ1100
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
'09 Yamaha 125 Zuma
'09 Kawasaki KZ110 (grand kids)
'13 Suzuki GSXR 750 (track)
'14 Yamaha FZ-09
'18 Suzuki GSXR 1000R (track)
'23 Yamaha Tenere 7
SOLD: CBX,RZ500,Ninja 650,CB400F,V45 Sabre,CB700SC,R1

Waiex191

Our weather was perfect. My kid had his visor mostly closed as he does not wear glasses.  We had discussed that beforehand!
Bryan
1989 FJ1200
1981 Suzuki GN400
Poplar Grove, IL

racerman_27410

Congrats on bringing a new rider into the world... Good times await!!!!

Old Rider

Congrats to you son !
How is the test done in the states? Here in Norway its a long task getting the motorcycle license many hours with driving and theory.
At 16 years old you can take a licence for up to 125cc  then later at 18 yr you can take it on a medium 600cc bike then i think its at 21 or 25yr
you can take license on heavy bike.we also have to have country road driving mayby 200miles in a day .also driving in the dark

Waiex191

Thanks!
Here in Illinois it was not very hard.  My son got his permit in June, and it was only good for in-state and daylight hours.  No highway travel and he had to ride with an experienced rider over 21.  No real time requirement, but next was the practical test.  Most of the test is low speed maneuvers.  Cone slalom, tight turns, plus panic braking and a swerve from 16 mph.  Not really difficult - but you could easily tell the riders who had little to no experience.  The personal standards I've held him to are a lot higher than what DMV requires.
Bryan
1989 FJ1200
1981 Suzuki GN400
Poplar Grove, IL