News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Not So Aimless Wanderings

Started by Mike Ramos, August 04, 2020, 01:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Ramos

Gentlemen,

Well, as I was wandering about (heading to Idaho) via Missouri and Colorado in the middle of May (meeting Aviation Fred for dinner in Ouray) somewhere in the high desert of Utah, on a fine crisp morning, an antelope decided to contest the right-of-way and did so by committing suicide!

HOLY S_ _T is not an exaggeration as the rascal literally exploded and blood, guts & fur flew everywhere!

Although I never hit the brakes or even (initially) closed the throttle; deceleration was instant and extremely sudden!

Fortunately, I did not actually fall down.  Unfortunately, his head whipped around and I looked down into his eyeball as he (not so gently) slammed the side of his head (horns and all) onto the top of my left hand!

Also fortunately, I have a padded metal plate on the back of the hand and a padded metal knuckle protector (which absorbed most of the impact); unfortunately three bones around the perimeter (which are covered only by leather) were fractured.

So, I have spent these last 7 weeks in a cast followed by 3 weeks in a removable brace.  This past week radiographs indicate healing is complete and now I can begin strengthening the hand (not to mention the rest of me!
Finally, I can commence with rebuilding the motorcycle, although damage is extensive.

The most interesting damage is to the forks: they are bent back at the lower triple clamp to approximately 1.5" from the chin fairing (which itself is pushed back into the exhaust pipes).  The front is high enough, if the FJ were to be placed on the side stand, it would fall over.  It's yet to be determined if the steering head is bent back or twisted vertically.  Strangely the forks were severely twisted, thus the clip-ons were way (if the 3 o'clock position is normal, they were about 1:30) out of kilter.  However, after about a half hour or so they pounded themselves back into alignment + -.

The left clip-on may be slightly out of true or perhaps only misaligned.

The lower left side narrow/wide beam driving light mounted on the crash bar was lost as was the camera mounted on the end of the left clip-on.

The lower left side of the fairing was ripped off as was the blinker and lens (socket and all) however, the high mounted driving lights were unscathed.  This is where the wiring for the auxiliary fuse block is located (behind the small door on the dash).  Also, the relays for the head light mod (Eastern Beaver harness), the relay for the coil mod, power to the radar detector, oil temp & oil pressure gauges & the upper set of driving lights.

Anyway, it took several miles before a suitable location to stop (only able to use one hand) I cut off ground wires to tie up the bulk of the wires so I could limp back to the fuel stop I had passed about 60 miles prior.

There was blood, guts & fur everywhere - even under the flap of the tank bag & on the tail pack.  There was also fur under the screw heads holding down the metal plate on the back of the glove.  I was covered from the knees down in filth.  What a stench!

I had to trailer the 700 miles home and luckily it poured rain for about 400 miles thus washing most of the filth off.  The picture of behind the fairing & air cleaners are after arrival at home. 

Anyway, I'll be looking for parts or a 1991 (or newer) rolling chassis with a blown engine. So far thanks to Garth, CutterBill and the RPM crew for a good beginning.

Oh, for reference - I have not one but two sets of deer whistles on the FJ - well they had no effect on an antelope...!

Ride safe,

Midget.

Below are links to pictures of the motorcycle:

Here is a left side view of the blood & guts & fur.
http://fjowners.com/gallery/11/295_04_08_20_9_13_03.jpeg

Left side of fairing is missing - wires & relays exposed...
http://fjowners.com/gallery/11/295_04_08_20_9_12_03.jpeg

Fur stuffed into the tire/rim bead.

Also, notice no "chicken strips" - the fur must have been coarse...!
http://fjowners.com/gallery/11/295_04_08_20_9_08_31.jpeg

The chin fairing was pushed back into the exhaust pipes.

The forks are bent back to about within 1.5" to the chin fairing.
http://fjowners.com/gallery/11/295_04_08_20_8_58_30.jpeg

Even clear back to the air cleaners... sure hope Randy doesn't see this...
http://fjowners.com/gallery/11/295_04_08_20_9_00_45.jpeg

The fork chrome is galled from rotating in the lower clamps.
http://fjowners.com/gallery/11/295_04_08_20_12_33_15.jpeg

Bill_Rockoff

Wow! Glad you weren't hurt worse than that!

Reg Pridmore yelled at me once

Waiex191

I'll add my wow here.  Perfect excuse to fit some USD forks!
Bryan
1989 FJ1200
1981 Suzuki GN400
Poplar Grove, IL

Pat Conlon

Holy smokes Mike, I had no idea this happened to you. Very happy you're ok and on the mend.

Let me know if I can help.

Pat
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

red

Quote from: Waiex191 on August 04, 2020, 02:13:30 PMI'll add my wow here.  Perfect excuse to fit some USD forks!
Mike,

Man, what a mess!  Glad to hear that you survived, as well as you did.  Lucky man, I think, but that luck was tough.  

For any bone-related injuries, I believe that you will benefit from a diet supplement, Calcium+Vitamin D.  Most people do not get enough calcium, and your body will rob every bone for the needed calcium, to make the repairs.  That trick works, immediately, but it weakens your other bones in the process.  Neither calcium nor vitamin D will be all that great when alone, but together, they can be very beneficial there.  They work together so well, almost any pharmacy can sell you a single pill combo with both ingredients together.  There are brand name products like Citracal, if you like.  You can still help your body make the recovery, even now.  Better late than never, really.

Amazing bike photos; I'm gonna score this one as humans one, antelope zero.  You'd think they would learn, but I guess you can't housebreak a puppy with a shotgun.  Sometimes I think the wildlife is just looking for an adventure to write home about.

Definitely a good time to search for a 17" wheel on an entire front end.  It's a lemonade moment.   :yes: 

Glad to hear that you are improving, there.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

axiom-r

Very happy to hear this wasn't more serious... but WHOA it was serious....  I was told by a more experienced rider many years ago that sometimes the best action when hitting a deer is not to brake but to hold steady and hit.  I guess it all depends on the size of the deer and the speed.  How big was the antelope?  How fast do you think you were going?  

In the very early 90's I bought a GSXR 1100 that had hit a deer.  Same mess same incredible penetration of the muck into everything.  Oil cooler was not cleanable.  The smell sheesh!

Feel better Mike!

tim
1992 FJ1200 w 2007 R1 Front & Rear

aviationfred

It was unfortunate that you were not able to meet me in Ouray....
But after hearing what happened, I was super glad to hear that you didn't go down and was able to get back home and on the mend. I am sure there will be a project 3XW that will find it's way to you.

Mend well and see you on the road in the the near future.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

FJmonkey

Wow Mike! I feel sorry for the Gazell, at least it went quick. I am happy for you that you fared so well considering the other possible outcomes.  Hearing your story in person will be much better, I hope to see you at a rally and catch up.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

ribbert

Mike, it's never good to hear about one of our own having an accident, but given the circumstances and the outcome, lady luck was definitely riding pillion on this occasion.

Hitting an animal at speed was unfortunate, but it was a great stroke of luck that saw you stay upright, and in doing so, avoid what certainly would have been serious injury.

Glad to see the team has rallied around to help get the bike sorted, good people.

If you need any advice, I'm here.  :lol: :biggrin:

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

ribbert

Quote from: ribbert on August 05, 2020, 04:56:13 AM
Mike, it's never good to hear about one of our own having an accident, but given the circumstances and the outcome, lady luck was definitely riding pillion on this occasion.

Hitting an animal at speed was unfortunate, but it was a great stroke of luck that saw you stay upright, and in doing so, avoid what certainly would have been serious injury.

Glad to see the team has rallied around to help get the bike sorted, good people.

If you need any advice, I'm here.  :lol: :biggrin:

Noel

I have just been reminded by several members of the pitfalls of humour on the forum, from people who get it but come from where they don't. The last line about "needing advice" was just a bit of fun, so stand down guys. :dash2:

If it had occurred to me at the time, I would have deleted it, but of course now, I can't.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

1tinindian

Glad to see you safe and on the mend, Mike. Keep us updated on the FJs rebuild.
"I want to be free to ride my machine without being hassled by the "man"!
91 FJ1200

RPM - Robert

Good news is, you can use those forks as boomerangs. Bring them to the rally and i'll see if I can chuck one and whack you in the noggin.

:wacko1:

Mike Ramos

Quote from: Pat Conlon on August 04, 2020, 03:58:37 PM
Holy smokes Mike, I had no idea this happened to you. Very happy you're ok and on the mend.

Let me know if I can help.

Pat

Hello Patrick!

Yep, mending along nicely & appreciate the nice comment.

We'll keep in touch,

Mike

Mike Ramos

Quote from: axiom-r on August 04, 2020, 08:19:51 PM
Very happy to hear this wasn't more serious... but WHOA it was serious....  I was told by a more experienced rider many years ago that sometimes the best action when hitting a deer is not to brake but to hold steady and hit.  I guess it all depends on the size of the deer and the speed.  How big was the antelope?  How fast do you think you were going?  

In the very early 90's I bought a GSXR 1100 that had hit a deer.  Same mess same incredible penetration of the muck into everything.  Oil cooler was not cleanable.  The smell sheesh!

Feel better Mike!

tim

Howdy Tim,

Well, he came from the right side (curiously I was looking on that side towards what appeared to be a lake off in the distance) however the instant I saw it, IMPACT...!  No warning at all.  It collected itself around the front end  and I saw the blood and guts explode in front and I seemed to ride into them - I clearly saw its' head come around and I looked down into the eyeball and horns as the side of the head slammed onto my hand.  

Very strange feeling as the details were quite prominent and seemingly orderly (difficult to explain).

I was thrown forward banging the knees into the fairing - the auxillary tank pushed against me yet stayed in position - the first true test of the Rok straps.

My speed was about 115 mph at impact - instantly it seemed as if I was down to 50 or 60mph (do not know for sure, but it was a very sudden deceleration.

[There's another post about cruise speeds - I'll address that if i get a chance]

Take care,

Mike

Mike Ramos

Quote from: ribbert on August 05, 2020, 06:34:27 AM
Quote from: ribbert on August 05, 2020, 04:56:13 AM

If you need any advice, I'm here.  :lol: :biggrin:

Noel

I have just been reminded by several members of the pitfalls of humour on the forum, from people who get it but come from where they don't. The last line about "needing advice" was just a bit of fun, so stand down guys. :dash2:

If it had occurred to me at the time, I would have deleted it, but of course now, I can't.

Noel

Howdy Noel!

No problem - no offense taken & the humor is well accepted!

Alright, ride safe & watch out for the kangaroos...

Mike