News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

3CV modified Fairing project

Started by Cam109, August 10, 2020, 04:13:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cam109

My 88 model had been off the road for 12 yrs until last Friday when I registered it for the road. I had hoped to complete it first but due to difficulty in obtaining the right paint match I pushed ahead with the intent of painting a top coat as soon as I can obtain some 'Shiny Black'. I already have a genuine decal kit with some minor mods, but again, I'll fit when I get the paint. It was a sin seeing it sit there ready to go waiting for the fairing to be fitted (for 12 yrs, lol).

Damn I forgot how fast this thing is, it's got some very effective breathing mods but the engine itself is stock, with 200,000+ K's on the clock.

It had a few teething probs (everything was fine 2 yrs ago when I rode it around the block, lol), rear master cyl seized and was thrown away, the front m/cyl had a small issue (easily sorted thanks to our helpful forums), a headlight connecting plug failed and just took a lil' time to find, and carbs had to be cleaned out , again!!

Anyway, today I sorted some potential decals with a sort of mock-up. The red cowl and screen are just a trial, and may or may not change. I have red/gold shadowed FJ decals for the main fairing, a bit smaller than the std ones on this model, and toying with a smaller word 'Sport' following the FJ. I also modified the main stripe which will end at the front instead of wrapping around.

I found a Sport sticker I had stashed away and just stuck it on as expendable, but meanwhile filling a gap. So I made the missing sidecover extended stripe as well just to see how it would look. So the LHS is almost completed (as a trial) and I'll add a dodgy gold stripe (paint maybe?) to the fairing later this week. The RHS has no decals yet. But I'm gonna do the same as the left just to give it a finished look, if only from a distance.

My immediate problem is the side stripe, which I knew would be an issue when I fabricated the lower fairing parts. You may notice I've added a 'tail' on the ducktail as I always thought Mr Yamaha never thought it through. As with the small added stripe below the vents, I made them as extended from the plastic stripe, getting wider, but I placed my scissor cut stripe a few mm's too high which I'll hopefully fix when the real decal goes on. I'll prob make it slightly thinner too.

I made a small stripe to finish it off on the fairing. Ideally I'd like to have it similar to original, pointing down toward the front corner of the cowl, but the red color makes that not viable. if I choose to paint the cowl black I might do it have it cross over the fairingf cowl join somewhere. But as is, that stripe may be it. If longer it would look more in line with the rest of the stripe and I'm trying to avoid that by pointing it downwards a bit.

Some might think the red is a bit odd, If I persevere with it I'll need to put clear indicator lenses on it, which are available and affordable but for the expensive postage, grrrr. Oh and the pics may not show it's a nice bright Monza red.

I'm open to any suggestions,  : )
Carl

Cam109

I've had an interesting welcome back to the biking world. The bikes been off the road for 12 yrs, I just had too much other interests to finish painting it, mainly due to hassles getting the right paint each time I made an attempt over the years.
After sorting numerous minor issues it was off to the bike shop and rego office in moderate rain. I still had tuning issues with a spluttery bottom end, combined with horribly slippery brand new tyres so the trip was lotsa fun, and successful.
Next unwise move was to go on my first real ride (thinking the bike ran ok above 3 grand) with my mate and his Honda Blackbird, on his own turf, over some awesome country roads, I had some moments!!   :smile:. But really it was great, despite the bike starting to run worse on the way home from a 120K ride. I later learnt mostly due to a clogged fuel filter. I have fitted 2 filters as I had rust issues and flushed the tank a few times but some rust flakes were still appearing so it may take a while.
So I figured I still had carb issues with the 'spluttering. Another flush out of tank and carbies, and I fitted new pilot jets, and went up a size (to 115) as it's sorta common that the std carb is a bit on the lean side. I though this would solve it, but not to be. Grrrrr, what the hell? The carbs seem in reasonable nick otherwise. I had tried to 'Sinc' earlier, got them close but it was difficult and decided to sort the 'misfire' before attempting again.
I had thought to check the plugs, but never did, my made said age should not have bothered them, being brand new but old. It's his fault. So, not solving the problem yet is was due time. I even though to have a listen to the motor running while disconnecting a sparkplug at a time, to see I could isolate the problem to one cylinder. No 1 cyl saw the normal loss of revs, seems ok, as with 2 and 3. Doing No 4 the pleers holding the lead slipped and it zapped me, not badly as it went to other parts of the frame as well, so I shut the motor off pretty quickly. But wait a minute, while being zapped I didn't notice a drop in revs. So a quick rerun, same so out with the plug - and the source of the problem was found. The plug was black (not caked in soot though) and the gap about 1/4 of what it should be, first thoughts were what the hell engine bit hit that?? But it seems the engine is fine and perhaps I'd somehow damaged the plug myself all that time ago.
Result is the bike is running fine for the first time since getting it going, awesome!!!! My carb settings may not be spot on, but reasonable, and I had a great time sorting it, in hindsight, lol
Carl