News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Its on the Road!!!!

Started by dadofseven38, August 14, 2020, 05:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dadofseven38

well, after getting the plastics back from the painter and getting the last bit of stuff from RPM I took the FJ out for a work related ride last week, just about 75 mostly freeway miles and today took a ride up to Mt Rose Summit to gwt a feel for the twisties....couple of things...the new suspension from RPM (rebuily front suspension, new rear shock) is spot on, the 16" tires with Pirelli Sport Demon's are A OK, the stock front brake is dismal, new pads and rotors are a must and coming next. 

Last piece of the puzzle will be getting the tank painted, probably in a month or so...wish I would have kept my 86 from back in thw day, it would have been alot cheaper!!!
Jim Richardson
2019 Honda Goldwing Tour
2012 Honda VFR 1200f
1986 Yamaha FJ 1200 project
1981 Honda CT110 Playa Bike

FJmonkey

The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

CutterBill

Before you start throwing rocks at your front brakes, take the calipers off and rebuild them. Every time I've taken apart FJ front calipers, the pistons were frozen solid. Every. Damn. Time...
Bill
Never Slow Down, Never Grow Old.

Current Stable:                                                     
FJ1100                                              
FJ1200 (4)
1999 Yamaha WR400 (street-legal)
2015 Super Tenere
2002 Honda Goldwing

red

Quote from: dadofseven38 on August 14, 2020, 05:55:04 PMI took the FJ out for a work related ride last week, . . .   the 16" tires with Pirelli Sport Demon's are A OK, the stock front brake is dismal, new pads and rotors are a must and coming next.
dadofseven,

I would lean toward replacing the front brake lines (eliminating that crazy Y-splitter) with two braided stainless steel brake hoses, first.  You can get a "dual" banjo bolt to attach two brake lines to the master cylinder.  You can get a tailored hose rig, or any decent hydraulics shop can copy the lengths that you have.  While you are at it, you can get the banjo hose ends which can pivot (ordinary hydraulic hoses do NOT twist).  You can also get a banjo bolt for the master cylinder with a brake bleeder built in (the bleeder-banjo bolts cost US$15~$20 from the right sellers, or maybe four times as much from the wrong guys).  I never understood how a rider can bleed vertical brake hoses very well, without that trick bleeder banjo bolt.  For any brake-line work, you want to use all new hydraulic washers at every hose connection.  Any OEM rubber brake hoses on the bike will probably be toast by now, especially at the front.

I doubt that you will be looking for any further improvements in the front braking, after that stuff is done.  Certainly, check that the caliper seals and pistons are in good shape, too.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

dadofseven38

Excellent suggestions, I will start at the top of your list!!
Jim Richardson
2019 Honda Goldwing Tour
2012 Honda VFR 1200f

T Legg

If you are still running stock organic pads you should upgrade them. I'm running HH pads on the front. They made a huge difference. My son uses an even more aggressive pad on his zzr 1200  but they need to be heated up before they perform the best. I just got back from  a great run up the Virginia city truck route and down Geiger grade. Only encountered a couple cars. Time for another new tire again. I had treads when I started out . If  you want to go for a ride give me a call.                       Travis Legg.
T Legg

dadofseven38

Holy cow, get a new tire!!! If you on 16"  the Pirelli Sport Demons are great....
Jim Richardson
2019 Honda Goldwing Tour
2012 Honda VFR 1200f

T Legg

That is a sport demon.You'll find you are lucky if you get three thousand miles.This is the second tire I have worn out this summer and I spread my riding out over four bikes. A new tire is already on its way.
T Legg

dadofseven38

We need to ride together...next time you go out, shoot me a text.  7752918301
Jim Richardson
2019 Honda Goldwing Tour
2012 Honda VFR 1200f