News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

The Ultimate Oil Thread?

Started by PaulG, August 13, 2020, 12:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulG

Came across this while surfing the web.  Had a quick look at it.  If there's ANYTHING about oil you need to know about ANY application you'll probably find it here:  Motorcycles, Tractors, Airplanes, Guns, etc...  The home page is also riveting reading on the evolution of mineral and synthetic base oils.... :mocking:   The guy should get a medal for this, to take on a task with no end in sight.  :biggrin:

Bob Is The Oil Guy

It could spell the end of oil threads on forums the world over!   :shok:
1992 FJ1200 ABS
YouTube Channel Paul G

Troyskie

Well found!

Before diving into threads, I scanned front page topics and one stood out for a quick look. It is titled 'cool motorcycle pics'. Kind of strange for a fluid and oil thread, but I had a look.

After 5 pages of peoples bikes, I was amazed. Yes some cool bikes (but no FJ's), but what was amazing is so few tractors. Almost all were Brit or Jap bikes, and quite a few Italians, but so few hardleys. Very refreshing. Does that mean tractor riders only use hardley brand oil and don't look for info  :pardon:?
1984 FJ1100 Ms Effie brand new :)
1984 FJ1100 Pearlie, stock as.
1985 FJ1100 Mr Effie 647,000K and still running hard.
1985 FJ1200 'Yummy' takes a licking & keeps on ticking
After all is said and done, more is said than done :)
2013 Trumpy Tiger 800, let's do a lap of Oz

X-Ray

This is a great website, have been a member for a while. Definatley the 'ultimate' source of info no matter what you ride/drive/fly etc  :good2:
'94 FJ1200 Wet Pale Brown
'93 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver
'84 FJ1100 Red/White

'91 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver ( Now Sold)
'92 FJ1200 Project/Resto Dark Violet/Silver (Now Sold)

For photos of my rear wheel swap, heres the link  https://www.flickr.com/gp/150032671@N02/62k3KZ

ribbert

Quote from: PaulG on August 13, 2020, 12:19:59 PM
Came across this while surfing the web.  Had a quick look at it.  If there's ANYTHING about oil you need to know about ANY application you'll probably find it here:  Motorcycles, Tractors, Airplanes, Guns, etc...  The home page is also riveting reading on the evolution of mineral and synthetic base oils.... :mocking:   The guy should get a medal for this, to take on a task with no end in sight.  :biggrin:

Bob Is The Oil Guy

It could spell the end of oil threads on forums the world over!   :shok:

Paul, I understand your enthusiasm at finding Bob, it's a fantastic site, and it does get mentioned here from time to time, but always without interest.
Forums are about participation and if experts answered all the questions once and for all, there'd be nothing left to participate in and that would spoil the fun.
Professionals on amateur sites are unwelcome ( amateur in the literal, not colloquial sense) and are at times even actively discouraged, they upset the status quo.

So, the next time someone asks the oil question (...or batteries, tyres, brake pads, headlights, brake fluid, chain lube etc), Bob won't get a mention, and opinions, testimonials and recommendations will flow as usual.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

flipstyledsm22

So what oil am I supposed to put in my FJ1100? And how much?

Millietant

Quote from: flipstyledsm22 on August 21, 2020, 10:57:57 PM

Just ask Bob above  :sarcastic: :sarcastic:
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

ribbert

While we may joke about it, and there are many firmly held opinions, it doesn't really matter IMO. These engines have proven to be bullet proof for hundreds of thousands of miles, more miles than almost everyone here will ever put on their bikes. There are also opinions on the effect particular oils have on gear changing, clutch performance, oil consumption, running temps etc.

We have guys that run them on diesel oil, one of which I know has done so for 20 years and lots of miles, some run them on car oil (with friction modifiers - not recommended) mineral, synthetic, different grades, different opinions on levels, different views on change intervals, filters and so on.

The only suggestions I'd make are, change it at the recommended intervals, new filter each time, try and do it when the oil's hot, be wary of filling it above the top of the glass because beyond that point you can't see by how much. I know some of these bikes don't sit dead level on the centre stands any more and because of where the sight glass is, a couple of degrees left or right of dead vertical will see the level rise and fall in the glass more than you would expect. I check mine by kneeling next to it with it on the side stand then bring it up to the balance point and check the level.

Way more important for engine protection than your oil choice is your cold start to mile ratio.

Haha, you'll never get a consensus.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

ribbert

Thank you to my proof reader....again.

When I say it doesn't matter what oil, obviously it needs to be a suitable type and viscosity.

Noel

Old Rider

As Noel says . On mine i use 3,2litres when chaniging oilfilter .I sware to mineral 10-40 yamalube. Find a level place set the bike on centerstand make a marking where the centerstand i on the ground and place the bike on exactly that spot each time you check the oil in the glass.  have the oil level in the middle or a little above (3.2 litres)
the middle in the sightglass. I used to have the level up to the max markings before and that resulted in oil finding its way into airbox and mayby also thru the carbs and
ontothe  backside of the inntakevalves making the bike smoke at startups in very cold mornings.I first tought it was a bad valvestemseal but after investigating i found no leak
from valvestemseals.The seals was almost new .

ribbert

CutterBill

Never Slow Down, Never Grow Old.

Current Stable:                                                     
FJ1100                                              
FJ1200 (4)
1999 Yamaha WR400 (street-legal)
2015 Super Tenere
2002 Honda Goldwing

Mike 86 in San Dimas