News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Quick question about torque values

Started by duanelr, September 07, 2020, 07:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duanelr

A friend of mine claims the torque value for any given fastener changes when anti-seize cream is used.
Is there any merit to his claim? Would the torque values in the manual change if I used a "lubricant" on the threads?
Thank you,
Duane
My bike is an '87 FJ1200

racerrad8

The torque value doesn't change, but you get a proper torque value as the lubrication prevent the excessive friction of dry fasteners.

Anti-seize is a whole nother topic...

Randy - RPM

Randy - RPM

duanelr

Thanks for the answer.
When you say anti-seize is a whole different topic, do you mean in regards to torque values?
Thank you, Duane

addendum.. I've been using this high temp Loctite brand, copper stick
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NCB37616?cid=paidsearch_shopping_dcoe_google&gclid=CjwKCAjwtNf6BRAwEiwAkt6UQmRYG16tNYxamxoJO6Z9L2bSZYsZjIYh0r_ryleUJI__QNK6ceg4ZhoCKs0QAvD_BwE
My bike is an '87 FJ1200

aviationfred

I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

ribbert

As a rule of thumb, 90% of the torque applied to tightening a bolt/nut is spent overcoming friction between the threads and under the head of the bolt/nut, which is split roughly 50/50. So, using something that alters that friction, such as lubricants (or anti-seize) or being dry, will significantly change the clamping force for the same torque value. Unless otherwise specified, quoted torque values are based on clean threads and engine oil.

If using a specific lube for a particular application, like say a head, it will probably come with a table of adjusted torque values or nominate a % discount. As for the effect of anti-seize on clamping force for a given torque value, certainly it will change it but I have no working knowledge of by how much, to me, anything that needs to be torqued doesn't need anti-seize, in fact, I hardly use it on anything. Haha, this leads into one of my bug bears, the over use of anti-seize and loctite, but that's another story.

Anti-seize and thread assembly lube are not the same thing.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Motofun

There are several considerations.  If you can, use hardened washers, they make a big difference in appllied torque. I use blue lock tight on all bolts that must stay tight for safety reasons...ie where if they loosen I'd end up on my head.  Fork clamping bolts for example.  On my race bike I safety wire these so no lock tight on those.  Every winter I do an extensive check on most bolts, pull them one at a time, clean with a wire brush wheel and an internal wire brush with a drill motor on the internal threads.  My technique works but it is a giant PIA.  The only problem Ive ever had was with the locking nuts on the chain tensioner...these get a daily inspection.  Buy a good torque wrench, one that has been calibrated, and store it at it's lowest setting.
'69 Honda Trail 90
'75 Honda CB400F
'85 Yamaha RZ350
'85 Yamaha FJ1100
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
'09 Yamaha 125 Zuma
'09 Kawasaki KZ110 (grand kids)
'13 Suzuki GSXR 750 (track)
'14 Yamaha FZ-09
'18 Suzuki GSXR 1000R (track)
'23 Yamaha Tenere 7
SOLD: CBX,RZ500,Ninja 650,CB400F,V45 Sabre,CB700SC,R1

duanelr

Right now I'm using anti-seize cream on any steel-fastener that goes into aluminum. I've had real problems with electrolysis or galvanic corrosion.
Also, I'll use anti-seize-cream on bolts I know I won't touch again for a long long time. (like stuff under the seat)
So far I torque everything to the manual's spec. (Maybe I shouldn't if it has anti-seize?)
My bike is an '87 FJ1200

ribbert

Quote from: duanelr on September 08, 2020, 10:07:33 PM

Right now I'm using anti-seize cream on any steel-fastener that goes into aluminum. I've had real problems with electrolysis or galvanic corrosion.

Get the right stuff! This is what I use and what is recommended by folks vastly more experienced than myself (which is why I use it) although I've never really had a problem on bikes or cars in this regard, if it's your bike you're referring to.

...it's precisely what it's made for.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"