News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Thieves strike again.

Started by aviationfred, September 18, 2020, 11:08:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodcreekpete

There's probably more than a good chance that anybody that would target and steal an FJ is probably on this site from time to time. I thought we were all pals here.

vitorino

aviationfred: sorry for that episode... but you need to look on the positive side: at least it was an attempt-theft and you still have your bikes!

do you have theft insurance you can trigger to at least get some money back to put the FJ back in shape?

don't know anything about the reality of the United States; but if the community you live in has some sort of Management/Owner/Agency I'd file a report with them to see if they could increase the security; and also file a report with the Police Department, so at least it's recorded on "paper" that a theft attempt has been made - and even if they don't catch the culprits at least it goes into the official statistics in your area, and if the statistics are high enough they might put (more) Police patrolling the surroundings (don't know if that logic is followed there)

by my experience the thefts can either be "opportunistic" i.e. someone was happening to pass by and saw your bikes or "ordered" i.e. someone went there on purpose to steal it (usually for resale as a whole or to break into parts and sell them on websites)

in Porto/Portugal a few years back there was a "craze" of Smart cars; so soon after some Smart cars got their wheels, bumpers, steering wheels, etc. stolen... because dodgy shops would "order" those parts from A, who knew B, who knew C that made the actual theft; then sold it to B, who sold it to A, who sold it to the shop who would put that part into the Smart car and charged the Customer... and even with all those levels of payments it was still cheaper than buying the same part from the scrap places. Fortunately Police later intervened and dismantled those organized "grand theft-auto" gangs

so I don't know if the VFR and FJ are very popular and in high-demand in your area or the US as a whole... but if they are, you might be looking at an "ordered" theft... perhaps someone is really targetting one of those models on purpose due to demand

another thing is that in these days of the so-called "social" networks people (not saying you do)... but people often put everything online... their (almost) precise location, photos of their house, their cars, bikes, house contents, etc... so it's easy for someone handy with computers to "go shopping" for things... my advice is to never share anything like that online... or to self-censor geo-locators... most of the times the person on the other side of the internet is a good guy, but sometimes it's a bad guy

in these occasions I put down my pacifist side and bring my "old-school" side... someone ought to teach those punks a lesson the old fashioned way... finding who the punks are, following them, knowing their routine, then getting a couple of buddies and... well, you know the rest... let's say they'd need a visit to the nearest ER and I'm sure they'd never do it again

my FJ 1100 is also stored in my Inlaw's garage... which is a shared/building garage with no doors or walls... it's like a parking space in the building basement... I put 2 big chains around it with a decent padlock... but it too can be easily stolen if someone wants to... all they need is an angle grinder and a van... plus there's no CCTV, no GPS tracking and no insurance... so I pray they don't steal my bike

good luck on putting your FJ 1200 back together!

regards

aviationfred

Thanks too everyone for their inputs. For the interim while I look for a place with a garage. I have taken initial steps to secure the bikes a bit better. The Bus will be parks sideways across all the bikes overnights. I know this is all rudimentary for a thief who is really intent on getting to any of them. After I return from my trip to the east coast, I will get new disc locks with built in alarms and a coated chain to connect all 3 bikes together

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

TexasDave

Sorry to see that great looking bike like that. You know with the druggies in abundance now days anything that isn't nailed down will be stolen, dismantled and sold on ebay. With the used parts prices on ebay they still stand to make a good profit even on older bikes.

I was in a hurry and left my strap. Could you mail it back to me?    :biggrin: 
A pistol is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one you will never need one again.

Pat Conlon

Disk locks will help. Chain all three bikes together..
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

ZOA NOM

Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

aviationfred

Quote from: ZOA NOM on September 20, 2020, 04:06:35 PM
That strap can be tracked...

The Responding officer took the strap. There was also a black Balaclave laying in the road about where the bike was was dropped and where the drag marks started.

Fred

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2

Troyskie

Bloody hell Fred!

Such a bummer for you, but as the others and you have said, at least you still have your bikes.

Great work getting the replacement fairing, and a NOS one!!!! WOW!!!!

Best wishes mate.
1984 FJ1100 Ms Effie brand new :)
1984 FJ1100 Pearlie, stock as.
1985 FJ1100 Mr Effie 647,000K and still running hard.
1985 FJ1200 'Yummy' takes a licking & keeps on ticking
After all is said and done, more is said than done :)
2013 Trumpy Tiger 800, let's do a lap of Oz

Old Rider

Sorry to hear about the robbery i know how it feels .One time i got lucky and was waked in the middle of the night by a guy steeling my bikecycle carrying it over his shoulder.I ran out in my underwear sneaked up from behind and hit him hard as i could betwen his shouldeblades.He fell down
and crawled fast away like a lizard making funny noises  :good2:

krusty

I know the feeling. A few years back my 95 1200 was stolen from my garage in which I thought it was secure. To get the bike the scum had to drag my caravan away from the roller door it was backed up against in the driveway. Then get the door open.  The bike had to be maneuvered past my wife's car and another bike with very little room to spare. When telling my mates abiout it the coinsensus was it was a targeted theft. Why? There were other more valuable bikes in the garage e.g. a restored 76 Honda CB750F1, 73 CB350F and a couple of Yamaha DT dirt bikes. The clincher was an FJ110 I had just acquired which was parked on a concrete apron outside between the garage and my house - with the keys in it! (it was a non runner at the time). It was also at a time when small race cars using FJ engines were becoming popular. I never got it back. At least it was insured.

91 FJ1200
84 FJ1100 x 2
85 FJ1100
89 GL1500
76 CB750F1
72 CB350F
63 C92 x 2
59 C76
62 C100
63 C100
60 Colleda 250TA x 3
63 Suzuki MD50
77 DT125E
77 DT175E x 2
79 DT250F

aviationfred

The Insurance adjuster arrived today and I was given a cash number that I can live with. Repairs have already begun. Back to the OEM Orange lenses. New clear ones will be ordered. Replacement air scoop bumper was already on hand. Tomorrow the bike will be taken the the garage for fairing and crash bar repairs.

Fred

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2

aviationfred

Spent the day repairing the main fairing so that it will be at least presentable at the Vintage Yamaha Rally this coming weekend.

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2

fj1289

Impressed with those repairs!

Little did you know just how useful that was going to be when you found it ...  :cray:

Troyskie

1984 FJ1100 Ms Effie brand new :)
1984 FJ1100 Pearlie, stock as.
1985 FJ1100 Mr Effie 647,000K and still running hard.
1985 FJ1200 'Yummy' takes a licking & keeps on ticking
After all is said and done, more is said than done :)
2013 Trumpy Tiger 800, let's do a lap of Oz