News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Late Posting on '93 Freshen Up.

Started by X-Ray, October 01, 2020, 09:27:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

X-Ray

I have been slack lately, sorry for the late posting on this mini project.

Just thought I would do a summary of my '93 partial refurb, which has been ongoing since June 2019. It started out as just a need to replace the leaking fork seals and fix the broken front guard tabs, but then more bits came off etc.

The work tally ended up being --

New fork seals with fork legs painted with anodised paint and clear coated.
Curent underslung rear GSXR brake and torque arm changed over to top mount GSX 600F caliper and original FJ torque arm. Caliper rebuilt and wet blasted, then clear coated. ( blasting work done by Bill McCulloch)
New braided rear brake line
Swingarm removed, all bearings solvent cleaned, checked and repacked. Swingarm also painted with anodised paint and clear coated.
Footpegs cleaned up and painted
Fairing cracks/broken mounts repaired
Engine mounts cleaned and relubed
Notchy steering bearings and races replaced
Valve clearance check ( 5 shims replaced)
Front blue spots cleaned up with new seal kit
New Angel GT front tyre with Arashi discs fitted
Carbs cleaned/checked with new needle/seats
Frame rails repainted with anodised paint

Think thats about it, which was finished 2 days before our trip to Dartmouth. Really wanted to take the '93, but after all of that work and reports of impending rain ( and unexpected wet roadworks on the way down ), she stayed nice and dry in the shed. Think this one may stay a "fair weather" bike from now on where possible. 
PS, special thanks to John Witt for helping with that finicky valve cover gasket, and Tim Crispin for helping me make sense of that shim clearance malarky

The '94 is now getting a mini freshen up, will post that one up when done as well.
'94 FJ1200 Wet Pale Brown
'93 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver
'84 FJ1100 Red/White

'91 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver ( Now Sold)
'92 FJ1200 Project/Resto Dark Violet/Silver (Now Sold)

For photos of my rear wheel swap, heres the link  https://www.flickr.com/gp/150032671@N02/62k3KZ

X-Ray

'84 FJ1100 Red/White

For photos of my rear wheel swap, heres the link  https://www.flickr.com/gp/150032671@N02/62k3KZ

Millietant

Very nice Ray, loving the gold wheels with that paint scheme  :good2:

What exhausts do you have on it ?
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

Paul.1478

2006 GL1800
2009 KLR650
1976 RD400
1993 FJ 1200 ABS

Old Rider

wery nice work i really like that blue color is that also anodised paint? im thinking of painting my fork in that ble color please tell more about the paint is it like powdercoated?

X-Ray

Thanks chaps, I like this bike, definatley a keeper.

The wheels I had powdercoated around 5 years ago, still in great condition, and the mufflers are Staintunes that were originally from an FJ1100. I had to get an exhaust place move the mounts on the mufflers so they would fit, and they also completely reskinned them in stainless steel as they were pretty dented and scratched up. The headers were ceramic coated a few years ago as well.

I used Duplicolour Metalcast paint on the forks, swingarm, frame, torque arm etc. The silver is just the Metalcast Base coat with a clear coat, and then Metalcast Blue is used over the silver basecoat with a clearcoat to get the anodised blue look. Its a nice paint system, I like how it works.

Now to keep working on the '94, nearly there  :bye:

'84 FJ1100 Red/White

ribbert

Bloody hell Ray. I like a clean bike as much as the next bloke but I think by now the different paths we've chosen are showing up. There is no way I can put 100's of 1000's of km's on my bike and keep it looking like yours, I'm officially bowing out of the glamour stakes as mine approaches 300k. We all know the only reason Alena drove to the last rally was to accommodate your travelling detailing kit.

I also heard rumours there was a spare detailed bike under the tarp in the back just in case the one you were riding got dirty.

All jokes aside, your bikes are a credit to you and look great.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

X-Ray

:biggrin:

You are too kind Noel, I'm still trying to work out how you get the lustre on your paintwork, I'm nowhere near that level of shine but its all good. You know how it is, take this part off to clean it up a bit, see another bit thats needs some TLC, then another........

I've now started on the '94 to give it a much needed tidy up after the last 2 long distance rallys, its getting there but very slowly. 
'84 FJ1100 Red/White

Troyskie

Great work Ray.

I like the paint method. I might give that a go with some parts I'm cleaning.
1984 FJ1100 Ms Effie brand new :)
1984 FJ1100 Pearlie, stock as.
1985 FJ1100 Mr Effie 647,000K and still running hard.
1985 FJ1200 'Yummy' takes a licking & keeps on ticking
After all is said and done, more is said than done :)
2013 Trumpy Tiger 800, let's do a lap of Oz