News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

propping up front end

Started by kawonda750, October 18, 2020, 09:11:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kawonda750

Dumb question #99.  I am getting new tires so am taking off the wheels to bring them in. To prop up the front, can I use my floor jack under the exhaust pipes without damaging them? Or conversely, how do I support the front to take off the wheel?
Thanks
Dave

fj1289

Shouldn't be a problem - especially if you use a piece of 2x4 or something to spread the load. 

Do you have your center stand?  I have used a length of 2x6 - long enough to be under the rear tire but just short of the front tire.  A second block of wood under the sender stand (2x4 or 2x6).  Then use a tie down or two under the rear of the main 2x6 and over the swing arm (or over the seat) to bring the rear down and raise the front.   

carey

That will work.  I usually loosen the front brake caliper bolts before I raise the front wheel.  This way I'm not tugging/torqueing on something with the front wheel off the ground.

kawonda750

Should I do 1 wheel at a time or am I ok to take both at once. The 2x6 as per fj1289 would not work with the back wheel off. That is, if I'm reading it right....

red

Quote from: kawonda750 on October 18, 2020, 09:11:52 AMDumb question #99.  I am getting new tires so am taking off the wheels to bring them in. To prop up the front, can I use my floor jack under the exhaust pipes without damaging them? Or conversely, how do I support the front to take off the wheel?  Thanks
Dave
Dave,

This is what the FJR guys build, certainly enough for an FJ.  Make it (DIY) from black iron plumbing pipe, and some fittings.  I'd use 1.5" pipe, if I needed one.  I'd make the feet a little longer, too.  It all pivots flat (just rotate the feet) when not in use; stand it against the wall.  Find stock threaded pipes, for the lowest prices.

http://www.fjr1300.info/howto/frontstand.html
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

fj1289

Quote from: kawonda750 on October 18, 2020, 12:59:50 PM
Should I do 1 wheel at a time or am I ok to take both at once. The 2x6 as per fj1289 would not work with the back wheel off. That is, if I'm reading it right....

I'd put it on the center stand over the 2x6 - - the rear wheel will be higher off the ground than usual.  Remove the rear wheel.  Run tie down straps under the 2x6 and over the seat or over the swingarm.  Tighten down until the front end is off the ground.  Remove the front wheel.   A jack stand or two, or a milk crate, step stool, etc under the front would be prudent while taking everything to the shop. 

Old Rider

Set bike on centerstand loosen wheelbolt and caliperbolts first then put a simple carjack with a piece of 2"x3" under the pipes or put it up between the pipes on the tap in front of the oilplug.Gently jack up the front then you can remove the front wheel.rearwheel is already hanging free .I have done it many times.
You can also easy replace the tires your self using the ziptie method the thing that is a little difficult is to break the bead when taking the old tires off i use a Wise to clamp the tire together.Balancing is also easy go to youtube search balancing and zip tiemethod.

Waiex191

Bryan
1989 FJ1200
1981 Suzuki GN400
Poplar Grove, IL

Motofun

Best option...buy a center lift Pit Bull stand that uses the hole in the lower triple, it'll last 3 life times.

Next best, make a "U" section out of 2X4 scrap wood that engages the frame rails instead of the pipes and jack from that.  To be extra careful place a 1/4 inch piece of plywood under the  center stand prior to raising the bike.  This will give you extra lift clearance when raising the front.  Do not raise the front so far as to contact the rear tire.
'69 Honda Trail 90
'75 Honda CB400F
'85 Yamaha RZ350
'85 Yamaha FJ1100
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
'09 Yamaha 125 Zuma
'09 Kawasaki KZ110 (grand kids)
'13 Suzuki GSXR 750 (track)
'14 Yamaha FZ-09
'18 Suzuki GSXR 1000R (track)
'23 Yamaha Tenere 7
SOLD: CBX,RZ500,Ninja 650,CB400F,V45 Sabre,CB700SC,R1

FJ_Hooligan

Here's what I built.  Slides under the front frame rails.

Helps to put a piece of 1/2 inch plywood under the centerstand (I have the rear end lifted).

I remove the lower fairing and position the stand.  Then, sitting in front of the front wheel, I lift the front wheel off the ground and push the stand in place with my feet.

As Carey suggested, loosen all bolts first.

Sorry, don't know how to rotate image

DavidR.

Motofun

I like this better than the device I used to use.  The "wings" give it extra stability. :good2:
'69 Honda Trail 90
'75 Honda CB400F
'85 Yamaha RZ350
'85 Yamaha FJ1100
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
'09 Yamaha 125 Zuma
'09 Kawasaki KZ110 (grand kids)
'13 Suzuki GSXR 750 (track)
'14 Yamaha FZ-09
'18 Suzuki GSXR 1000R (track)
'23 Yamaha Tenere 7
SOLD: CBX,RZ500,Ninja 650,CB400F,V45 Sabre,CB700SC,R1

Bill_Rockoff

I do both wheels at once, with the bike on its center stand on top of a 2x6. The 2x6 lets me get the bike off the ground another couple inches (1-1/2") which gives more clearance between the rear wheel and the ground. This way, there's room to lift the front wheel off the ground once the bike is on its center stand, while still leaving clearance between the rear wheel and the ground. (There has to be room to maneuver the wheels out from beneath the fenders, too.) To raise the front wheel, I typically put a shoulder under the nose of the fairing, and then slide a jack stand under each fork leg.

I have also used a ratchet strap to pull the top triple clamp up toward a garage door rail, which lets me check the steering stem bearings. It's probably 40 or 50 lbs required to lift the front wheel off the ground.

I can't remember if the front axle pinch bolt can be removed with the jack stand under that side, or if it's something that has to be removed and reinstalled without the jack stand there.

I use a long handle breaker bar or my torque wrench to loosen and tighten the caliper and axle hardware. With a long handle, there's enough torque to break free the axle or the caliper bolts without putting a lot of force into it and upsetting the bike.

I always have to find the right-size bungee cords to suspend my calipers from the mirror stalks or handlebars.
Reg Pridmore yelled at me once

ribbert

How everyone gets both wheels off at the same time doesn't matter, jacks, home made stands, bought stands, whatever, as long as it's stable and never rely on a hydraulic jack staying up when loaded.

Maintenance and tyre changing aside, I elevate my front wheel every time I wash the bike which would be 20-30 times a year, and I have a belly pan, so it needs to be quick and easy.

I loose fit my centre stand (no nuts or spring) and use a bottle jack on the lug in front of the drain plug.

Someone has already mentioned they also do this and warned not to keep raising the front until the back tyre contacts the floor, it will fall over, and to that I'll add that while this is a quick and easy way to do it, the bike is very unstable in this configuration and should be treated with great caution.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

kawonda750

WOW.  Thanks for everyone's input. Now I will have to decide which way to go.
Anyway, thank you.

balky1

I put it on center stand and add some weight on the top-case carrier to lift the front. Alternatively, you can put weight on the passenger seat. You can put something under the swing-arm to prevent the bike from raising too much with the wheel off.

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009