News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Seat locking mechanism

Started by bigbore2, October 19, 2020, 08:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigbore2

Hey there,  tried taking my seat off but the left side won't release. I've had that happen before but always got it loose to remove seat.

Did not find anything in the manual yet.

red

Quote from: bigbore2 on October 19, 2020, 08:00:51 PMHey there,  tried taking my seat off but the left side won't release. I've had that happen before but always got it loose to remove seat.  Did not find anything in the manual yet.
bigbore2,

I'm not near my bike right now, or else I would go look for myself.  Which side needs the ignition key to release?
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

ribbert

Don't be offended but it's happened before, you do know there is a catch on the LHS that is operated independently of the RHS (the keyed side), that is, you have to unlatch both sides separately. If so, and it still won't release, push down on the seat or give it a thump (above the catch) while pulling on the lever, this will take the load off the catch.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

bigbore2

Key is on right side, so is the latch.

Noel - tried that too but no go yet.
I'll look at it tomorrow in the light.

Waiex191

I think you turn the key forward, then get a finger on each (left and right) latch and pop them together.

The lock just prevents you from popping the right side latch.
Bryan
1989 FJ1200
1981 Suzuki GN400
Poplar Grove, IL

Millietant

Quote from: bigbore2 on October 19, 2020, 10:34:57 PM
Key is on right side, so is the latch.

Noel - tried that too but no go yet.
I'll look at it tomorrow in the light.

Just to be clear though - there are 2 latches for the seat, there is also a latch on the left side that works independently of the key and latch on the right side.

That's what Noel was saying, but your answer that I've quoted above makes it look to me, like you're only operating one latch ?

Hope you get it sorted.
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

bigbore2

Stupid is as stupid does.
Right Ribbert, there is a latch on both sides. How long have I had this bike???????

Hopefully I have a space in my brain to keep that info.  Thanx guys,for the guidance.

ribbert

:good2:

Haha, we all have brain farts from time to time, just don't forget the wife's birthday.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

fj1289

pretty sure this will be forever etched into your memory now ... the biggest concern will be which penguin got pushed off the iceberg to make room for this one!

gdfj12

I am so glad I'm not the only one who had that same brain fart. It happened earlier his year. :Facepalm:

George
George D
'89 FJ1250 ~'90-black/blue
'87 FJ1250 ~streetfighter project
'89 FJ1200 ~white/silver, resto project
'88 Honda Hawk GT, resto project

Millietant

I'll happily admit to starting the engine with clutch slave cylinder removed many years ago the first time I put a new seal in !!! :Facepalm:

The pushrod flew across the garage like an Exocet missile - luckily I was right by the kill switch and the little ball didn't pop out and only a tiny splash of oil landed on the bike cover that was over the VF 750 at the time  :sarcastic:................ :lol:
Dean

fj1289

Millietant

No, but if I did, it would likely be dead..........our Lab would have eaten it long before I could have speared it with a clutch push rod  :rofl2:
Dean