News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

...My fairing/plastic repair

Started by Brook, October 20, 2020, 10:49:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brook

... I know there are many threads/comments on this subject.    So, I would like to share a few of my experiences.

There was a time, when I was using my front and rear motorcycle stands, (on carpet).
The rear, went up with-out any problems. Then trying to jack-up the front, using the front stand, that has the two little
steel arms, (on each side), that fits underneath the front forks. And while pushing down on the long (stands) arm, the
two small wheels (on the stand) caught on the carpet. And ..bam.. there went my FJ.
  It fell-over, on it's left side. Cracking the top left corner, (near the mirror).

The next time was on a Saturday night... Rushing for a Saturday night run... finish bleeding the front brakes. then
backing ..down.. the driveway, and pulling on the front brake lever,... No Brakes.. It fell-over on it's right side, and
cracked the right side panel.... No, Saturday night run!

When I was looking for a R6 tail section (on Ebay) the average going price, for one,   that was in good shape, was going
for about $125.00. But there was one, for $25.00. that had a crack, in the middle, in between the seats... I bought that
one.
                  (I wanted to place the pic. here,  but I did not know, if it would fit)   

This is what I did, each time.   Frist, I measured the (inside) damage area, then cut a small piece of flat sheet-metal. To
cover that area. Leaving about 1l/2 to 2' of the sheet-metal on each side of the damage area. Then I snip the corners off.
  Then I took that piece of sheet-metal and rub-it on the concrete flood. (both sides) that smooth-out the edges... and no
finger pricks ...and it look good! Held it tight, against the (inside) damage area. And with a drill and a drill bit, that was
the same size as a small self-tapping screws shaft. Drilled a hole thru the sheet-metal and plastic. (near the corners of
the sheet-metal) then screwed-in the self-tapping screw. Holding it tight against the plastic, drill another hole on the
other side. repeated many times. (one hole at a time, drill a hole, screw-in the screw-  drill a hole, screw-in the screw.

When all screws are in, take a magic marker, and make a line on the sheet-metal and onto the plastic. (for a reference) 
then unscrew all of the screws, (clean area) and mix-up a little JBweld. Spread it on the plastic, where the piece of
sheet- metal will be setting. then place the piece of sheet-metal on top of the JBweld. (Remember, the magic marker
line) replace the screws and let the Jbweld harden for 24hours. Then with a Dremel, and a small cutting blade, cut of the
the shafts of the screws. A little bit of the plastic will be cut away, But, that's Ok.   just make sure, that the shafts are 
lower then the top level of the plastic.

Remove the clear coat and paint, (Clean area). and Mix-up a little more of the JBweld. fill in the small damage areas. Let
dry, sand down, looking at it from different ankles. spray with primer.  let dry, that will show, if any more sanding is
needed.
                                                                     Sand, primer and paint
                                                        A very strong, long lasting and clean looking results