News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

I'm going to try to keep this page going

Started by Millietant, October 22, 2020, 03:06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Millietant

So....... the weather forecast for the next couple of days is "rain, sleet and snow, with gale force winds and freezing temperatures overnight".

Guess I'm not going riding any time soon  :sarcastic:
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

Waiex191

Quote from: Millietant on December 03, 2020, 07:40:16 AM
So....... the weather forecast for the next couple of days is "rain, sleet and snow, with gale force winds and freezing temperatures overnight".

Don't leave us hanging - why aren't you going riding? 
Bryan
1989 FJ1200
1981 Suzuki GN400
Poplar Grove, IL

T Legg

The temps here have been in the teens at night and days in the thirty's and fortys but you can't beat our blue sky's here out in the west.
T Legg

T Legg

T Legg

Millietant

Quote from: Waiex191 on December 03, 2020, 08:56:08 AM

Don't leave us hanging - why aren't you going riding?  

Because I'm old....and a wimp/wuss  :lol:

As long as the roads are dry, I'll be riding (if there's not too much salt about).
Dean

Millietant

Very jealous of your weather/skies Travis  :good2:
Dean

aviationfred

I got out the other day for a short ride around town. The temps were in the mid 40°F's.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

Waiex191

Next Friday I have to go to work.  I've been working at home since 3/13 and in fact they won't let me in the door. But they are giving us company jackets as an engineering Christmas gift (they don't call it that) but we have to go to the parking lot to pick it up. It is supposed to be clear but in the 30s. Since I trash talked Dean I'm thinking I better take the FJ.

I'm also going to cycle the kill switch a few times and see if there is any effect on my high RPM miss.
Bryan
1989 FJ1200
1981 Suzuki GN400
Poplar Grove, IL

T Legg

Riding weekly all winter is better than a tank full of stabil.
T Legg

ribbert

I could tell you that I took my daughter out for lunch yesterday and with the cloudless blue skies, 25c/77f temp and a light breeze we took the bike, but that would be rubbing your nose in it so I won't. :biggrin:

It's probably hard for those living in the UK or the Northern states of the US to imagine that Winter is by far my favourite riding season. Yes it's cold and often wet, but not that cold. For the couple of months over the peak of Summer I barely ride anywhere. It's too hot, the roads are too busy, the police are out in force while their good humour is on leave, double demerit points and fines are common for minor offences, cyclists take over many of the good roads and are arseholes about it, and everywhere is crowded, I hate it, it's no fun and it's dangerous.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Millietant

Quote from: T Legg on December 03, 2020, 07:28:08 PM
Riding weekly all winter is better than a tank full of stabil.

I hope to be riding all winter (only on the dry days though....don't mind the cold as long as there aren't pools of salty water everywhere).....with stabil in every tankful - I've got to the point where I'll add a bit to every fill up, just in case its a month or so between rides !
Dean

T Legg

I could tell you that I took my daughter out for lunch yesterday

It's probably hard for those living in the UK or the Northern states of the US to imagine that Winter is by far my favourite riding season

Noel
[/quote].               I love winter riding as well. When I was young it was much more rural in my area and seeing another motorcycle on the road was a rare occurence. At that time waving at the few fellow riders encountered was  a sign of fraternity . Riding in the mountains was a serene experience. Since my youth the population in this area has quadrupled and is increasing rapidly. Waving at fellow riders seems almost ridiculous when it's every thirty seconds, everywhere you pull off in the mountains is full of tourists. Riding in the winter feels like the old days. I love having the roads all to myself .                              
             My daughter hasn't ridden with me in years (too busy raising my grand kids) .I miss those times on my old cb 750.
T Legg

Millietant

Quote from: ribbert on December 04, 2020, 05:12:59 AM

I could tell you that I took my daughter out for lunch yesterday and with the cloudless blue skies, 25c/77f temp and a light breeze we took the bike, but that would be rubbing your nose in it so I won't. :biggrin:

It's probably hard for those living in the UK or the Northern states of the US to imagine that Winter is by far my favourite riding season. Yes it's cold and often wet, but not that cold. For the couple of months over the peak of Summer I barely ride anywhere. It's too hot, the roads are too busy, the police are out in force while their good humour is on leave, double demerit points and fines are common for minor offences, cyclists take over many of the good roads and are arseholes about it, and everywhere is crowded, I hate it, it's no fun and it's dangerous.

Noel

You're all heart Noel..............glad you didn't tell me about riding with your daughter in beautiful weather, it would have saddened me and made me jealous  :sarcastic:
Dean

ribbert

Quote from: T Legg on December 04, 2020, 08:07:53 AM

I love winter riding as well....... Riding in the winter feels like the old days. I love having the roads all to myself .                              

You absolutely nailed it right there Travis, having the roads to yourself is a magic like no other. To ride roads made by God himself for motorcyclists and at best only see a couple of other road users per hour is a treat not many get to enjoy.

I can never resist clicking on any article with a title like "Worlds best motorcycle roads" or "Top Ten motorcycle rides" or "Must-do rides before you die" and so on, and the one thing most of the frequent top picks have in common is, they're always busy. They are technically great roads that in practice are never free of traffic. It's only a great motorcycle road if you don't have to share it (well, not too much anyway).

As for our daughters riding with us, mine is in her late twenties but still single, so it's not too hard to get her on the bike, but I'm still chuffed every time it's at her instigation and I never lose sight of how lucky I am that she still thinks it's cool to ride with her Dad, the selfies inevitably pops up on her FB shortly after. I think it's pretty cool too!

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Millietant

Quote from: ribbert on December 06, 2020, 04:02:01 AM

As for our daughters riding with us, mine is in her late twenties but still single, so it's not too hard to get her on the bike, but I'm still chuffed every time it's at her instigation and I never lose sight of how lucky I am that she still thinks it's cool to ride with her Dad, the selfies inevitably pops up on her FB shortly after. I think it's pretty cool too!

Noel

And I bet you enjoy it when old guys tell you, in admiration, how lucky you are that the "Chick" on the back of your bike looks young enough to be your daughter  :rofl2: :rofl2:
Dean