Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

I'm going to try to keep this page going

Started by Millietant, October 22, 2020, 03:06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Millietant

Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

ZOA NOM

Quote from: Millietant on October 22, 2020, 03:06:47 PM
Hopefully everyone doesn't get sick of me  :sarcastic:, but I can't stand the quietness !!!

We had a couple of hours break in the rain and the sun came out, so I thought I'd go looking for some corners and ended up having a break at Upton House (a stately home just outside Banbury, Oxfordshire) - nice roads all around it.

I used my iPhone to try to get some time-laps pictures of me riding some of the corners, but somehow I messed it all up, so just a couple of static photo's.......this time !! ...........everyone likes photos, yes ??  :rofl:

It looks like I might get out on Sunday or Monday too......woohoo !!!!  :good2:

Dean, please tell me about that riding suit.
Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

Millietant

Hi Rick,

It's a 2 piece (actually 6 pieces) suit by Richa - a very popular brand over here in the U.K.

The jacket and pants zip together across the back. The Jacket has the outer, then a waterproof liner and an insulating padded inner (both zip out). CE approved armour on the shoulders and elbows with a good sized back protector (all removable). The front is double zipped and the waist band, elbow bands and wrists have Velcro adjusters. There are waterproof zipped openings on the chest to let in cool air and it has a magnetic neck fastener..plenty of pockets, inside and out, the outside ones have waterproof zips and fold over velcro's flaps.

The pants are also 3 layer (removable), with a metal stud and clip dual waist fastening and a elasticated, Velcro adjustable waistband. The fly is zipped and has a Velcro weather flap too. Comes with removable. CE knee pads and fixed hip pads. Wrists and ankles have zip and Velcro fasteners.

I've worn it through summer, winter and heavy rain showers and it hasn't leaked yet and has enough adjustability to keep me warm when I need it and cool when I need it. Had it now about 6 years and it's definitely the best bit of textile riding gear I've had.

Richa seem to do something for everyone when it comes to price. I think my suit cost about $500-$600 when I got it (about 30% than my wife's Alpine Stars Stella textile suit, which she also adores), mid-range price-wise.

I think the current version of my suit is the Infinity 2 Pro model   -  I got it in Large (UK) size, even though I'm only 5'8" tall and weigh around 160 lbs (enough room inside for clothing).

https://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/product/richa-infinity-2-pro-waterproof-mens-jacket/titanium-fluo?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1OHkutv_7wIVyLLVCh3-pAH1EAQYBSABEgJGYfD_BwE

Dean

ZOA NOM

Great info, thanks. I'm always on the lookout for something that's less of a compromise for my daily commute. The weather here in Northern California, while desirable in so many ways, can be a real pain in the ass for a motorcycle commuter. Many days of the year, I leave for work with temps in the low forties and return home in the high 80's and beyond. The delta creates the need for something warm enough in the morning, but cool enough in the afternoon. I usually just wear a one-piece over my working clothes on the way in, and bring a light jacket in my tail trunk for the ride home. I prefer not to use the tail trunk during the warmer months, though, so I suffer the cold in the morning so I don't bake on the way home.
Rick

Current:
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

Millietant

I'm used to riding in the 40's, usually without the thermal inner and I'm never too cold, but I usually wear a thermal top underneath (one of my wRm in winter cool in summer hiking tops). It's not that often that we get the kind of higher temps you get in CA, but I've ridden in the south of France in summer in my Richa suit and with the air-zips and collar open, it's been bearable.

I can't remember the last time I put thermal lining in the pants, but I usually ride in my cycling pants under my textiles anyway.

Best of luck in finding something that suits (get the pun ?
Dean

aviationfred

Quote from: Millietant on February 14, 2021, 03:17:13 PM
That machine has been used an awful lot during lockdown, with Liz making "scrubs" outfits for local hospitals and surgeries and making hundreds of masks for people - both as part of a charitable group (The Warwickshire Scrubbers......Andy might get the joke) and just doing them for people who live locally and either don't have access to re-usable ones, or don't have the means to pay for them.

She also knocked out the Santa suit I wore for the Christmas Gift run on it and is now in the middle of making 600 "Easter Chick" gifts for local children and the Easter Bunny suit that I'll have to wear for the Easter Parade (which will just be me, in a modified version of our Christmas Santa Sleigh)  :sarcastic:

Sadly for me, the free machine was just the start.....then came an expensive "Overlocker" and 3 or 4 other bits of kit I won't even pretend to understand !!!!!!!

We also have an antique 1904 Singer sewing machine on a table, with a trestle that still has the "cord" drive. It came from a deceased relative (her daughter was going to throw it out) but we don't know how it came into the family, as it was originally sold in Canada (according to the model/serial number and Singer's sales records). It hasn't been used since we got it a couple of years ago, but Liz is intent on getting it operational as soon as we can once lockdown is over.  I must admit I think it's really cool !

Dean,
There are 2 establishments in my town that sew patches on leather biker vests and motorcycle jackets. Both places use old Singer manual foot pedal sewing machines like in your photo.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

andyoutandabout

Rick,
If you've not discovered Revzilla for on-line motorcycle goodies, then let me recommend them. They have wide selections and competitive prices, so what's not to like. Returns are easy, but you'll have to pay postage.
BTW, did you get that towing thing?
life without a bike is just life

ribbert

Quote from: ZOA NOM on April 15, 2021, 08:25:26 AM

.......I leave for work with temps in the low forties and return home in the high 80's and beyond.........the need for something warm enough in the morning, but cool enough in the afternoon.....

My day rides are usually 500-700km, my regular all seasons loop being 630km (for the locals, that's Bay of Islands inland and back around the GOR). Riding those distances means riding through close to the min and max temps for that day, throw in some highway speed wind chill and sometimes altitude or wind straight from the South Pole. Contrast this with the inland afternoon warmth and dressing for the entire day's temperature range became a problem. I did solve it however  with a heated vest. If your torso is warm, everything's warm. They have very little bulk and can be folded or rolled tightly (they're machine washable) and it allows me to wear light weight Summer textiles with zipper/mesh vents.
I also have heated grips, polar fleece neck socks (thin, thick and double thickness) and at least 2 sets of different weight gloves, all of which can be varied easily through the day, but most importantly, the one outfit. The heated vest keeps me comfortable at either end of what is often a 12 hour day, or longer if I visit. It is not uncommon to cover the last 200km at midnight (from Apollo Bay).

Rick, you said this ".....I prefer not to use the tail trunk during the warmer months....."

Do you mean 'top box' and why not specifically during the warmer months??

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

ZOA NOM

Quote from: andyoutandabout on April 16, 2021, 03:09:21 AM
Rick,
If you've not discovered Revzilla for on-line motorcycle goodies, then let me recommend them. They have wide selections and competitive prices, so what's not to like. Returns are easy, but you'll have to pay postage.
BTW, did you get that towing thing?

Thanks Andy, I've used Revzilla many times. I just haven't found the perfect riding suit for my finicky needs. I was thinking about it on the ride in this morning. It was chilly, but bearable. The most discomfort really comes from the wind on the backside of my hands. I have the grip heaters, which are really nice, but the fingers still seem to get pretty stiff. I'm thinking about some wind deflectors of some kind to see if that will help. Other than that, the temp swings in the warmer months are pretty tolerable.

Yes, I got the MoTow, and I've only towed the bike around the block. My main concern is visibility. I can't see the bike at all in my mirrors, so the anxiety is actually worse than with the hitch mounted ramp. At least with that one, I can see if the bike has shifted even the slightest. I think with a few successful tows with the MoTow, that anxiety will wane. It would be nice if I could access my back-up camera while driving. I might look into a remote camera that I can access with my phone. I really like the ease of use, and installation, so I'm determined to use it. I think I'll make a trip out to RPM for a checkup and oil change prior to the Rally, so that should give me a good test.

Rick

Current:
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

ZOA NOM

Quote from: ribbert on April 16, 2021, 08:50:26 AM

Rick, you said this ".....I prefer not to use the tail trunk during the warmer months....."

Do you mean 'top box' and why not specifically during the warmer months??

Noel

Yes, the "top box". I couldn't recall the term when I posted.

It's just a "warm weather" vibe, nothing technical. I just prefer not to use it if I don't absolutely need to bring lighter gear for the warm ride home. I lane split (filter?) for quite a large percentage of my 50-mile commute, and the top box, while plenty narrow, just adds a bit of instability. It's particularly unstable in some of the high wind areas that I ride through. I use a tank bag that carries my lunch, and maybe a pair of lighter gloves, and that's about all I need when I don't need to wear something extra warm in the morning.

Rick

Current:
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

Pat Conlon

1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Motofun

I guess I'm an outsider regarding Revzilla.  They're located in Philly which has a 6 (state) plus 3(city) percent sales tax.  I live in PA (not Philly, thank God) and they insist on charging me the full 9%.  They can't seem to be able to figure it out.  Too bad.
Try Sport Bike Trackgear as an alternative.  They're always been good to me.  Top shelf stuff.
'69 Honda Trail 90
'75 Honda CB400F
'85 Yamaha RZ350
'85 Yamaha FJ1100
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
'09 Yamaha 125 Zuma
'09 Kawasaki KZ110 (grand kids)
'13 Suzuki GSXR 750 (track)
'14 Yamaha FZ-09
'18 Suzuki GSXR 1000R (track)
'23 Yamaha Tenere 7
SOLD: CBX,RZ500,Ninja 650,CB400F,V45 Sabre,CB700SC,R1

ZOA NOM

Quote from: Pat Conlon on April 16, 2021, 10:09:36 AM
Rick, do you have any electric gear?

I do, but I've migrated away from it. Just became a hassle. I know, I know, I'm too finicky for this crap. Time to get that Porsche motor finished and stop commuting on the bike.
Rick

Current:
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

andyoutandabout

An Fj with bark busters, that would be a first.
Nope.....
Oxford Super Handlebar Muffs
London couriers love these and Revzilla sell them for $56 a pair. Sure they look goofy, but they are totally removable and with your heated grips, you'll be taking the long road to work.
life without a bike is just life

ZOA NOM

Rick

Current:
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1986 FZ750