News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Riding since I was a kid, had a LOT of different bikes...First FJ1200 though.

Started by Seanable, October 24, 2020, 10:56:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seanable

Let me introduce myself. My name is Sean, I live in a town called Williams in California. I have had motorcycles since I was 11 years old. I currently own two Harleys, one shovelhead, and an evo bagger that I recently bought. I bought my wife a neat little Suzuki RF600r. It's nimble and has formidable power. I decided I needed a sport bike so my wife and I could do some runs. I found this '86 Yamaha FJ1200 for $500, contacted the fellow, drove 125 miles down to see it / buy it. The seller failed to say anything about the horribly slipping clutch. I rode it, and bought it anyway. I love the way it sits, the center of gravity is ideal. I can tell when the clutch is right, I will have access to plenty of power. The FJ1200 is an all around good solid old motorcycle. I have a friend who has ridden Yamaha's XS1100 models since they came out. He swears by them. He can also stand one on it's rear wheel at 100 mph plus and ride it for as long as you want to watch him go. He has the scars to prove how unhinged he is. I have always been partial to HD, and love my Honda dual sport thumpers..but those damn bikes of jimmy's run real nice and real fast. This FJ needs a bit of love, and someone who knows which end of a screwdriver to use in the screw...and I believe we will be in business. I have had hundreds of bikes go through my hands over the years, and I can spot one that I will likely keep and ride. This Yamaha fits that description. I have found that...when I have a machine that I want to make right, joining a group, such as this, can be a most valuable source of great information, as well as like minded folks. So my first undertaking, besides a nice new battery, was to peel the clutch out and give it a gander. I have not measured the thickness of anything yet...but I can tell the disks are done. I found out, as well, that the small ring at the back of the clutch pack...the one that says,"THIS SIDE OUT"...was in backwards. lol. That might have had something to do with it failing, I imagine. Does anyone have some advise on how I can clean the 'mud' from the clutch disks out of the crankcase? There is a layer of brown debris in the bottom of the clutch housing. Kinda disturbing. I read the clutch write up on this site. Good info there. I don't have a shop manual for it yet...and I usually will not wrench without literature. However, this group has me confident. Thank you.

"If it has wheels or tits, It will give you problems"
~SS

red

Seanable,

Welcome to the FJ sandbox!  Pull up a seat, and be among friends.   :yes: 

You can get a complete new clutch pack, even an upgraded version, for less money than buying a handful of OEM Yamaha disks.  Given the clutch issues that you describe, a new clutch pack is a one-and-done fix.  How much is your time and trouble worth to you?

The Yamaha is a Metric bike; no surprise there, but you should add a (hammer-blow) impact screwdriver to the toolbox, and a set of JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) screwdriver bits for it.  You won't be happy very long if you try to use Phillips or any other cross-point screwdrivers on the FJ.  Insert the bit into the screw head, twist the impact screwdriver handle in the direction that you want to turn the screw, and smack the end of the handle smartly with a hammer.  It gives you a nice little push-and-twist to extract a screw.  No excessive force is needed.  I do not use an impact screwdriver to install any screw, because it is far to easy to shear off the head or strip threads when tightening a screw with an impact screwdriver.  You can find JIS screwdriver bit sets (and JIS screwdriver sets) at Amazon, McMaster-Carr, and most quality tool retailers.  Alternately, you can get Allen-headed machine screws (in complete kits) from bolt specialty shops for the FJ, if Allen heads would suit you better.

The FJ rubber brake lines are probably getting old.  You can replace them with braided stainless steel hoses that are (and look) much better than stock.  Any good hydraulics shop can duplicate what you have there in braided stainless hose, or you can get pricey "tailored" kits for the FJ.  Note that you can now get banjo bolts with brake bleeders in them (US$15~20) and hose banjo ends that pivot (standard hydraulic hoses can not be twisted to fit).

We prolly have lots of "fixes" for most of the glitches you may have there.  Happy to help.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Ted Schefelbein

Welcome. After a 13 year pause in motorcycling to raise a son, I returned to the FJ 1200, a bike I first experienced after buying one new in 1991. Owned others, but, the FJ is king, in my eyes.
I was vacillating on driving to Missouri to buy the bike I currently own, while at bike show, I attended with my son and a friend when I had an epiphany of sorts. My friend was a factory sponsored racer in the 1990s and one of the for sale bikes at the show was an Aprillia sporty bike of some sort. I watched him climb aboard, and mutter to himself, "this doesn't feel very fun at all". I had considered a GSXR 750, as I had owned a 1995. His comment and the look on his face said all that needed to be said.

I drove to Missouri and bought the bike. No regrets.

You will need to do work. You will need to buy a service manual. You will need this group, this is huge, because you will get things right THE FIRST TIME, very important to utilize the talent, experience and insight availability here. My bike needed stuff, I got through it with a lot of help from this board.

Enjoy. I look forward to reading more about your experience.

Ted
I am an analog man, trapped in a digital parallel reality.

1989 FJ 1200

aviationfred

Welcome to the Forum :hi:

Great introduction and awesome to hear that your wife rides. You live in a good location in relation to where many of the past West Coast FJ have been held. Willits, Petaluma, Coloma, and Hayfork. You are also only about 2 hours drive from RPM in Oakdale.

For your clutch, if you have not ordered/purchased a fiber disc pack, I highly recommend this set.
http://rpmracingca.com/proddetail.asp?prod=M%2FC%3ARPMClutch

The thin innermost disc and 2 metal rings are replaced with a full size disc. If your clutch has the piano wire retainer, do not reuse it. The wire has been known to find it's way into other areas of the engine. The trash can is the best place for it.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

fj1289

Welcome!

What Fred said on the clutch!

RPM has not only what you need for this bike — but also the EXPERIENCE to go along with it.  Combine that with this forum and the many excellent resources, you've landed in the right place  :drinks:

Chris

Millietant

Welcome in Seanable,

As Chris and Fred have indicated, as you live in California, you need to make RPM your number one place to visit (in person and online/over the telephone) for all things FJ.

Not only will they have the things you need, they also have the things you don't yet know you need and lots of things you don't necessarily NEED but will most definitely WANT over the coming years.

And...like you've said, places like this are they very best way to get access to years worth of experience, mistakes and knowledge, to make your life easier.

I've had my current FJ for over 31 years and had another FJ prior to that (and had a second for while to sit alongside my current one) and despite having many other bikes over the last 45 years, the FJ is still my number one choice as the bike to keep for life.
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

FJmonkey

Welcome Sean, being late to the party means all the good advise has already been given. The fall rally (and WCR and Renegade) was a victim of the Covid-19 and or fires, but you are close enough to not miss it next year. And or the West Coast Rally and maybe the Renegade rally as well. Meeting the the FJ misfits for a ride or better, a rally makes owning one feel even better. Looking forward to your progress updates and meeting you eventually.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Seanable

Wow! I feel the love.
  Hi Red. I have been actively wrenching on anything and everything for decades. I am familiar with impact drivers and actually have two sizes. The JIS screwdrivers is something new to me, I would normally grab two or three out of the old tool box and use the one with the firmest fit. The FJ has allen heads, which I am planning to purchase a set of 3/8 drive metric allen drivers for. A service manual is mandatory in every case. I will have one handy even if I have worked on the machine a thousand times. I am a firm believer in good literature. On that note, I am having trouble finding a download. I have been to Carl Salter's website, but there is not a manual available for the FJ. Same story at my other sources for free manuals. I will find one eventually, it's a big internet out there. If I actually paid for manuals for every vehicle I put hands and tools on...it would add up pretty quick. I truly appreciate the Carl Salters of this world. The bike will need brake lines, pads, and at least one rotor that I noticed. Very good suggestions regarding the brake lines, thank you.
Ted, I cannot imagine 13 years without a motorcycle. I also raised my youngest son...He got babysat now and again when i got the itch to ride. I eventually got him a PW50 which he rode the paint off of. I'm glad you found the bike you wanted and have it running well. I will certainly be utilizing the knowledge and good information found here. I am impressed by this warm welcome, that's for sure.
Hello Fred,
Yes, I read that wonderful write up on these clutches. I plan on doing that alternative set up. The piano wire was missing when I pulled my clutch apart...and I actually found an extra thick friction disk and an extra steel disk :scratch_one-s_head: I plan on going by RPM the next time I'm in that area. Thank you for the warm welcome.
  Thank you all for the warm welcome.
I hear that COVID can't catch you on an FJ.....need to ride.
~S
~SS

Ted Schefelbein

Sean,
My wife was imported from South America. We were both in our 40s when my son was born, she spoke English as a second language, and did not become a citizen until this year, 15 years after she got here. We made a commitment to her being at home to raise our boy. One income. A blue collar income in the dying trade of lithography. I'll not lie to you, it was hell. She works, now, and is at a point where the loss of me would be sad, but, perhaps not desperate. Perhaps, anyway. I do have a bike, now.

In my reality, the bike became excess. I sacrificed a lot of things, but, this is important, I would do it all over again. My son speaks two languages natively, and is mostly an A student.

I look forward to your work and progress on the bike. The bike needs you, not the other way around.

Gratuitous photo of my FJ, and my Son, in Missouri, on new baby day.

Ted

1989 FJ 1200

T Legg

Ted your not alone. I've heard that same story many times. I parked my street bike in 1986 when my second child was born and didn't start again untill my youngest Ian bought a V65 sabre when he turned eighteen. I borrowed his bike and took my wife for a ride around Tahoe and she said we could start riding again. I did reserve the right to ride my dirt bikes. I also don't regret it.
T Legg

Seanable

Quote from: Ted Schefelbein on October 25, 2020, 12:46:47 PM
Sean,
My wife was imported from South America. We were both in our 40s when my son was born, she spoke English as a second language, and did not become a citizen until this year, 15 years after she got here. We made a commitment to her being at home to raise our boy. One income. A blue collar income in the dying trade of lithography. I'll not lie to you, it was hell. She works, now, and is at a point where the loss of me would be sad, but, perhaps not desperate. Perhaps, anyway. I do have a bike, now.

In my reality, the bike became excess. I sacrificed a lot of things, but, this is important, I would do it all over again. My son speaks two languages natively, and is mostly an A student.

I look forward to your work and progress on the bike. The bike needs you, not the other way around.

Gratuitous photo of my FJ, and my Son, in Missouri, on new baby day.

Ted
Handsome lad. Nice bike. You do have a point of family first. Ride safe.
~SS

Millietant

Quote from: T Legg on October 25, 2020, 11:51:13 PM
Ted your not alone. I've heard that same story many times. I parked my street bike in 1986 when my second child was born and didn't start again untill my youngest Ian bought a V65 sabre when he turned eighteen. I borrowed his bike and took my wife for a ride around Tahoe and she said we could start riding again. I did reserve the right to ride my dirt bikes. I also don't regret it.

That's the same story as many of my friends have Travis.......I guess I'm lucky that since getting first bike back in '75, I've never been without at least one bike.....and never had a period of not riding.

I guess it helped that my wife loves bikes too, has ridden ever since we've been together, was a riding instructor for a while......and never minded if I just wanted to get out and ride for a few hours when the kids were little.

Even when we couldn't even afford food (and ate at my parent's house for a month) she understood that I'd never give up having a bike.

Definitely been lucky, and very thankful for that. :good2:
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

Ted Schefelbein

My wife is terrified of my motorcycle. She will ride with me to the end of the county road, to smell the wildflowers, or to count the baby turkeys or deer. That, is it. If I want company and want to ride further, I have to take my Chinese neighbor lady. Her husband is completely disabled and he encourages her to have outings and friends to break up the time spent caring for him. We are all adults, nothing funny goes on. Susie participates in our English bicycle club doings as well. Colombian wife to left, Chinese neighbor (aping for camera) to right, son in background at the ABCE all British cycling event in September.

But, it is kinda' funny for my wife to tell me, when I walk in the door from work, that she called Susie, and told her to come down for a motorcycle ride with me.

I figured out I married the right girl a long time ago....

Ted

1989 FJ 1200

giantkiller

You know my wife got used to hearing I was in the hospital.  "Oh what did that dumb ass do now?"
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

FJ1200W

Quote from: giantkiller on November 25, 2020, 05:39:20 PM
You know my wife got used to hearing I was in the hospital.  "Oh what did that dumb ass do now?"

Too funny - Oh how I can relate!
Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA