News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Is there a logical explanation for this??

Started by Seanable, October 25, 2020, 05:47:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seanable

Hello,
  New here. Did my introduction and was truly impressed by the response I got. Cool folks on this site.
  Here is my question. It has to do with the clutch on my '86 FJ1200. I got the bike cheap. It runs really well but clutch was slipping bigtime. I read up on the subject go graciously laid out on fjowners, and peeled it apart. Of course the disks are fried, the steel disks aren't looking so well either. The thing that stumped me is that there are eight identical steel disks, and seven thck friction disks, as well as two of the thinner disks. It still had the spring bands that are placed behind the disks, but the one that says,"OUT SIDE" was placed in with the lettering facing inward. OK, from what I have read here as well as elsewhere...that is too many disks. One too many steel disks, as well as one too many thick friction disks. I plan on following the advice given in the write up where the two spring bands are eliminated and another thick friction disk is added, as well as adding a second diaphragm spring...I would appreciate a little tutoring on the subject, as well as any theories as to the excessive disks. Thank you.
PS....these emoticons sure are distracting as I type this...pretty busy up there.
"If it has wheels or tits, It will give you problems"
~SS

fj1289

I emailed a copy of an 1100 FSM.

Do the frictions and steels appear stock?  I think there was an aftermarket clutch pack Barnett I think that was an "extra plate" kit.  It's know for being grabby.  The steels and frictions were thinner than stock.  Maybe compare them to the specs in the FSM. 

Does your clutch basket and clutch hub and pressure plate appear stock?  Someone may have tried modding them to add in an extra plate.   

Chris

FJmonkey

My 86' had an after market clutch. The plates would stick, so getting into 1st when cold was a loud knock. It started to slip so I got new bits from RPM and opened it up. The frictions were a brown/orange color. Thinner to allow an additional plate. One friction was worn down to metal. The ones that would stick had almost no wear. So much for having an extra friction plate. I also installed the roller detent shift kit at the same time. Wow! What a difference, the clutch felt and shifted like butter. And as expected it did not slip. You can't get your Kookaloo on with a Shitty clutch...

My post on this from 2014 http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=11621.msg115156#msg115156
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Seanable

Yep, these friction plates are a brown orange color. They are toast. Certainly no Kookaloo with a shitty clutch. I want to do the Kookaloo....
~SS

racerrad8

Quote from: Seanable on October 26, 2020, 12:40:57 PM
 Yep, these friction plates are a brown orange color. They are toast. Certainly no Kookaloo with a shitty clutch. I want to do the Kookaloo....

If that's the case, then you'll need a new set of steel floater force too. The aftermarket are significantly thinner.

http://rpmracingca.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Clutch%3AClutchSteel

Call Robert and he can add them to the order of it hasnt shipped yet.

Randy - RPM

Randy - RPM

Seanable

Quote from: racerrad8 on October 26, 2020, 02:12:15 PM
Quote from: Seanable on October 26, 2020, 12:40:57 PM

If that's the case, then you'll need a new set of steel floater force too. The aftermarket are significantly thinner.

http://rpmracingca.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Clutch%3AClutchSteel

Call Robert and he can add them to the order of it hasnt shipped yet.

Randy - RPM

I have a set of factory steels that I got from a friend. They are in excellent shape. I am concerned about the basket...but I'll find out about that when the friction disks arrive.
BTW...you guys are on top of it. Shipped out the same day I ordered them. Thank you!
~SS

Pat Conlon

Yes, fast shipping, an RPM trademark.

What I also like when I order from RPM is, if a item is price listed on their website, they have it in inventory....ready for fast shipping.
There have been many times I ordered a part thru Partzilla or other vendor, paid with my credit card and a week later they email me with the message..."Sorry, but this part is on back order with no arrival date."
Why didn't they tell me this before I ordered? ....or before they took my money?

That never happens with RPM.

Yes, parts get on back order, that's unavoidable, but RPM will never take your money until they have the part in stock, ready to ship.

It's a lot of work keeping the web store current with inventory, but a good way to run a business.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Alf

Quote from: Pat Conlon on October 27, 2020, 04:10:18 PM
Yes, fast shipping, an RPM trademark.

What I also like when I order from RPM is, if a item is price listed on their website, they have it in inventory....ready for fast shipping.
There have been many times I ordered a part thru Partzilla or other vendor, paid with my credit card and a week later they email me with the message..."Sorry, but this part is on back order with no arrival date."
Why didn't they tell me this before I ordered? ....or before they took my money?

That never happens with RPM.

Yes, parts get on back order, that's unavoidable, but RPM will never take your money until they have the part in stock, ready to ship.

It's a lot of work keeping the web store current with inventory, but a good way to run a business.

Even worst when you order from abroad: with the expensive delivery cost, there are parts not included "out of stock" in your order

That never happens with RPM

When rare or out of stock parts are on order, RPM inform immediately about the delivery time expected. And even if the part cost is the same that on a Yamaha official service, so I would prefer to order from there directly to avoid delays

Seanable

I officially have the Kookaloo! Yes, it is all about the Kookaloo! Damn fun. I am now addicted to my FJ. With ill tuned, unsynched carbs I hit 130 mph before I realized it. woohoo! Since I began this thread I bought another FJ, and a pickup load of parts. On the FJ I bought that had been sitting for quite some time, is a rack of Mikuni flat sliders. I read that there is 25% more horsepower with these carbs. They sure are neat. Well designed and adjustable in every way. I will be mounting these after I get them cleaned up, and the other stuff I am working on done. Kookaloo!!!
BTW, RPM got my parts out and to me in very little time. Good business. 
~SS

Seanable

Thought I would update that I did the clutch plate mod, and extra spring. Wonderful. Completely disengages, is very user friendly throughout the range it needs to be, and fully engages when lever is completely released. In the meantime I have swapped the rack of carbs to one of the five sets I have now, No synchronizer as of yet, so I did the best bench synchronizing as I could..by eyeball. I popped the covers off of the adjustment screws, and did a quick adjustment there. It ran so much nicer but seemed to need a good solid run to clear them through. So, grabbed my helmet, rolled out of the driveway onto the pavement and put the screw to her. Much to my surprise the front wheel came up and stayed up half way through second gear. The torque these bikes have is no joke. This motor has well over 50,000 miles on it. I have an 1100 motor that was completely gone through around 5,000 miles ago to bolt in sometime before next spring. The fellow I bought this one from had owned it since 1985. He rode it all over everywhere until the motor was tired and then had it completely gone through top to bottom. He said he broke it in and rode it conservatively until it hit the 5,000 mile mark. Shortly after, he told me that it spit him off the back. Took him completely by surprise and squirted out from under him. Since that day the bike and all of the parts he had gathered along through the years of owning it, sat in his back yard about a mile from the ocean in Pacifica, Ca. for over two years. Some of the plastic totes had tragically filled with water completely destroying a set of stage 1 cams, and the innards of a pumped up engine he had stashed..along with too many other parts to list.   :unknown: I didn't find that out until I was home and started opening up totes  :ireful:. It was night time when I finally made it down there and had a lot to load onto the trailer and truck before I could drive home...I got a phenomenal deal as it stands. I cannot complain, but just was/am bummed when I see the waste of it. I did get a factory service manual  :good:. I am glad to be here, and blessed to have found a decent runner, and then enough parts pieces and accessories to make it interesting. I am looking forward to meeting, and riding with the FJ crew post COVID.
I had wanted a Harley shovelhead since I was a kid in school. I drew pictures of them...like those girls that are infatuated with horses...I read Easy Rider, and still ave all of my Dave Mann centerfolds..I finally got my shovel about fifteen years ago. Rode it for a couple of years, and was always losing shit off it, or having to screw with this or that. I finally decided to build the motor. It was already stroked to the maximum with original cases. I put high dome pistons, solid lifters, an Andrews AB cam, S&S super E carb. etc...all very expensive shit. I put it together right, and it hauls ass. It is a sexy beast, but I'll be damned...everytime I take the fucker for a ride something breaks. So it has a spot in the shop where it sits and collects dust. I hang my jacket on it now and then. I buy it a new battery every year...fire it up to scare the neighbors (drag pipes). But like a woman that has done you dirty too many times...the passion is gone. Now, The FJ was unexpected. I bought the first one off craigslist for $500 running, fried clutch, no paperwork (I do liens) to keep up with my wife on the Suzuki RF600 I got her. I wasn't expecting to enjoy this motorcycle as much as I do. I park it right outside the office door..and the first thing I do after getting up is get me some Kookaloo and coffee. I saddle up and blast down to the AMPM for coffee. I sit against the building and just admire this machine. Yea, it's like that. Now I need an XR650 so I can get to my claim...anyone in the market for a shovelhead?
~SS

Pat Conlon

Great post Sean, I laughed my ass off....You my lad, have been bitten by the FJ bug..poor sod.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

fj1289