News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

propping up front end

Started by kawonda750, October 18, 2020, 09:11:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodcreekpete

Quote from: ribbert on October 20, 2020, 08:16:58 AM

How everyone gets both wheels off at the same time doesn't matter, jacks, home made stands, bought stands, whatever, as long as it's stable and never rely on a hydraulic jack staying up when loaded.

Maintenance and tyre changing aside, I elevate my front wheel every time I wash the bike which would be 20-30 times a year, and I have a belly pan, so it needs to be quick and easy.

I loose fit my centre stand (no nuts or spring) and use a bottle jack on the lug in front of the drain plug.

Someone has already mentioned they also do this and warned not to keep raising the front until the back tyre contacts the floor, it will fall over, and to that I'll add that while this is a quick and easy way to do it, the bike is very unstable in this configuration and should be treated with great caution.

Noel

Two compressers, power washer, chop saw, bike table, welder, decent chair - I'd say you're seriously well equipped. Please explain the toilet paper - did I miss the commode?

FJmonkey

The toilet paper may be due to Noel's self proclaimed shitty welds. As an occasional welder myself I understand.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Urban_Legend

And what workshop isn't complete without a bust of a Roam Emporer?
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor
92 FJ 1200 - Project bike. Finished and sold.
84 FJ1100 - Project bike.

Urban_Legend

Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor
92 FJ 1200 - Project bike. Finished and sold.
84 FJ1100 - Project bike.

Millietant

Quote from: Urban_Legend on October 22, 2020, 12:15:30 AM
I want a bike lift.

If you're handy with a drill and can get a simple bit of welding done I can send you details of a DIY lift table that happily deals with a FJ and is a pretty straightforward job.
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

ribbert

Quote from: woodcreekpete on October 21, 2020, 07:03:11 AM

.... Please explain the toilet paper - did I miss the commode?

Haha, think of it as paper towel Lite. It's handy having small single use absorbent sheets at hand for 1001 reasons. It's not there for any one specific purpose.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

ribbert

Quote from: Urban_Legend on October 22, 2020, 12:15:08 AM
And what workshop isn't complete without a bust of a Roam Emporer?

That's the Roman God of extended valve clearance checks  :biggrin:

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Millietant

I thought that was a bust of Fred...........he's the Emperor of "Roaming" on the forum this year   :sarcastic:
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

chiz

Yup the bike does fall over for sure. Before I had a stand I used a chain hoist in the roof. I parked the stand under the hoist which ended up being prudent so the bike is always connected to the hoist. The lift being a crappy Princess Auto POS will not maintain height for long if pin is not in one of the safety holes, but sometimes I need to go higher, it is not unusual to find bike mostly being supported by the hoist. Lifts are dicey critters at best even getting bikes on and off.
Chiz

kawonda750

I used the floor jack which has a foot long pad and added a 1 x 4 board and everything worked perfectly. :yahoo:

fj1289

Thanks for the feedback!  Glad you found something that worked for you

giantkiller

I have a very nice  lift. It's  rated at 1500lbs has a drop out for  under the  back wheel. And a scissor Jack
with adjustable  frame spacers. Has front  wheel  lock/vice. Can add side panels. For ATV's  or turn them upside down for  tool/parts trays. Wheel's on one end and a  dolly for the  other end so you can move it  around. Of course I paid  $900 for it 20 years ago.
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

FJmonkey

Damn it!... Now I have to travel back in time 20 years, with money I did not have,  just so I can 1 up your post.... :ireful:
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

T Legg

When it's time to change tires I have always parked the bike on a slight incline on the center stand then pulled the rear wheel first. Then after the front wheel is ready to pull I have a buddy lean on the back of the seat to pop the front wheel up after I pull the wheel off I slide the axel back in and rest it on a block until I finish changing the tires. The bike has always felt very stable like that.
T Legg