News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Mud-like substance in my oil sump...

Started by Seanable, October 28, 2020, 11:52:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seanable

I have my clutch cover off awaiting parts to refresh the clutch in my bike. It is windy, and it is fall, and a dried leaf blew into the clutch case. I chased it with needle nosed pliers..I missed it and it went into the crankcase. (DOH!). I fished around for the leaf but came up with a thick mud instead. I am almost positive it is due to the clutch slipping and being rode like that by the P.O. I know it cant be good for my motor seeing as how it is 'friction material'. I feel that I need to get this cleaned out of the crankcase before I fire it up next.
  My question is; Is there a viable method of flushing the crankcase out? Maybe using diesel, or gasoline? Can I remove the oil pan with the engine still in the frame? This would be my preferred method so that I can do a thorough job. I imagine the oil pick up screen is probably nice a plugged with it too. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.
"If it has wheels or tits, It will give you problems"
~SS

fj1289

Yes - pretty sure you can pull the oil pan in the frame.   

Definitely take out the oil pickup and remove and clean out the screen.  May be time for a new pickup screen.  Didn't think about this when you mentioned the burned up clutch.   You do want to drop the pan and clean the intake.   As far as flushing - maybe oil change and then another quick change and maybe another pan drop and screen cleaning to confirm all is good.   

Seanable

Quote from: fj1289 on October 28, 2020, 12:06:25 PM

Definitely take out the oil pickup and remove and clean out the screen.  May be time for a new pickup screen.  Didn't think about this when you mentioned the burned up clutch.   You do want to drop the pan and clean the intake.   As far as flushing - maybe oil change and then another quick change and maybe another pan drop and screen cleaning to confirm all is good.   

Yea, that's what I thought. I know what I'm going to be doing today...trying to get some saddle time in before the rain comes (as-if). Thank you for your time sir.
~SS

fj1289

I've got a broken crankcase still where #2 rod spun a rod bearing and then broke.  I bought the bike with a lengthened swingarm and sidewinder exhaust.   Didn't think to go through the oil pan and pickup screen.  Good drag launches are hard on clutches - and require frequent oil changes to clear out the clutch material in the oil - and keep the bearings alive!

Paul.1478

Quote from: Seanable on October 28, 2020, 12:33:16 PM
Quote from: fj1289 on October 28, 2020, 12:06:25 PM

Yea, that's what I thought. I know what I'm going to be doing today...trying to get some saddle time in before the rain comes (as-if). Thank you for your time sir.
if you take the oil pan off get a new gasket, not only for the oil pan but one from the oil pump base to the pan. you are gong to tare that one when you remove it (dont ask how i know), it is under the center bolt on oil pan. May as well get new O rings for the oil cooler as well and a new oil screen. The pan comes right off in the bike. You will need to completely remove the exhaust system. The hardest part was cleaning the old gasket off.
2006 GL1800
2009 KLR650
1976 RD400
1993 FJ 1200 ABS

T Legg

I agree about removing the old gasket. When I installed my new transmission the old gasket was stuck so we'll to the oil pan I spent many hours scraping it off without destroying the oil pan. It came off almost clean from the case side. I have to wonder if they used a gasket adhesive to hold it to the oil pan.
T Legg

jono

I would get new o rings for both pressure relief valves as well while you have access to them
1991 fj1200

ribbert

Quote from: Paul.1478 on October 28, 2020, 03:50:38 PM

..... The hardest part was cleaning the old gasket off.

Lay the bike on it's side, after removing the mirror and fuel tank (or at least make sure there's not much fuel in it) makes easy work of it.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Sparky84

Quote from: ribbert on October 29, 2020, 03:46:11 AM

Lay the bike on it's side, after removing the mirror and fuel tank (or at least make sure there's not much fuel in it) makes easy work of it.

Noel
Does it matter which side or is it like a 4 stroke lawn mower, only 1 correct way ?    :cray:
1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2

ribbert

Quote from: Sparky84 on October 29, 2020, 06:25:19 AM

Does it matter which side or is it like a 4 stroke lawn mower, only 1 correct way ?    :cray:

No Alan, it doesn't matter and you'd have the oil drained out of it anyway.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Paul.1478

Noel
now you tell me. Laying on my back for hours and hours with my arms over my head was a killer!
great idea and I know better next time.
2006 GL1800
2009 KLR650
1976 RD400
1993 FJ 1200 ABS

Seanable

OH, HELL YEA!
  I dropped the oil pan, bike on sidestand, cleaned it out sanitary like, swapped the screen in the oil pickup. put in a new oil filter....didn't have it seated right, filled it full of oil...oil pumped out all over ground. Shit. Cleaned up mess, put oil filter housing on correct. By this time it's 1:00 AM. Fired the bike up...4 into one SuperTrapp...a bit loud. Got up this morning like a kid on Christmas Day...checked torque on all bolts from last night. Fired that sucker up.
  On Tuesday I found an FJ1100, complete, supposed to run, and five crates full of parts, 3 rims, a frame, frontend, extra factory pipes, brand new head & cylinders, etc. etc. for $500. In all of that shit was like the clutch baskets and disks. I was still waiting on my parts from RPM...clutch disks, and gasket...so I threw a clutch together using the mod found on here and an extra spring.
  Lemme tell you, that clutch works tits. After a quarter mile of putting it along, I turned onto a nice straight, flat road and turned her on. Hit 130 real quick. This bike handles so nice, comfortable, and so much steam. I'm gonna be dialing her in today. I'm sold. These FJs are the shit. My wife's RF600 Suzuki is fun. However, I'm 6'1" and 280 lbs. I get leg cramps from sitting in a scrunched up position...I feel like a bear molesting a football on it. The FJ is papas bike. Fits like a shoe. I'm straight in love with this machine. Now I have it's twin, and a lifetime supply of parts. [/]
~SS

Seanable

Noel

Yea, I dunno. Sounds kinda sketchy. I just got a camping pad, laid down and did the thing. I found that there is plenty of space between the ground and bike to work on it. I have never considered laying a motorcycle over on it's side to work on it. Many considerations here. Any fuel in the tank will spill out, The floats in the carbs are not meant to be subject to that angle...and may stick. Turn indicators, etc. etc. To me, a motorcycle should be on it's tires unless it is on a motorcycle jack, or it got crashed.  And trust me...I've done some pretty backwards shit.
Thank you for the response all the same though.
~SS

ribbert

Quote from: Seanable on October 29, 2020, 02:32:46 PM

Yea, I dunno. Sounds kinda sketchy..... Many considerations here. Any fuel in the tank will spill out, The floats in the carbs are not meant to be subject to that angle...and may stick. Turn indicators, etc. etc.

Fair enough, but for the others reading this who can't or would rather not work upside down, concerns about the bike being on it's side are unfounded (and I did suggest taking the tank off or making sure it was low to empty).
As for protrusions and cosmetics, a bit of common sense should take care of that (and I doubt anyone still has unsealed batteries)

It is something I've done over the years out of necessity, mostly for crankcase repairs.
Glad you got it sorted.

Noel

Millietant

Quote from: ribbert on October 29, 2020, 11:22:24 PM
(and I doubt anyone still has unsealed batteries)

You overestimate me Noel......at least until my current battery gives out  :sarcastic:
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.