News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

RIP Chuck Yeager

Started by Motofun, December 08, 2020, 07:25:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Motofun

Chuck Yeager has passed on.  97 years young.  WWII, Korea, rocket planes, sound barrier...certainly had the right stuff.  I think I'm going to go to the store and buy some Beemans gum. 
'69 Honda Trail 90
'75 Honda CB400F
'85 Yamaha RZ350
'85 Yamaha FJ1100
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
'09 Yamaha 125 Zuma
'09 Kawasaki KZ110 (grand kids)
'13 Suzuki GSXR 750 (track)
'14 Yamaha FZ-09
'18 Suzuki GSXR 1000R (track)
'23 Yamaha Tenere 7
SOLD: CBX,RZ500,Ninja 650,CB400F,V45 Sabre,CB700SC,R1

FJ_Hooligan

Wasn't he the only one to shoot down a German ME262 jet in WWII?
DavidR.

red

Quote from: FJ_Hooligan on December 08, 2020, 10:19:25 AMWasn't he the only one to shoot down a German ME262 jet in WWII?
FJ_Hooligan,

Chuck Yeager was the first American pilot to shoot down a ME262, but not the only one.  In the movie Red Tails, one of the Tuskegee Airmen did too.  Actually, they shot down three of the German jets.
From WIKIpedia.

RIP Gen. Chuck Yeager, a true American hero.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

T Legg

My next door neighbor back in the eighty's and ninety's was a P-38 pilot in the Pacific . At a neighborhood BBQ I was talking to him about hearing the sonic boom from the Thrust SSC out on the black rock desert when they broke the landspeed record and he told me about Chuck Yeager. A bunch of the former WW II pilots got together regularly and Chuck was one of them. He said he was a regular guy and just part of the group when they got together. What a  practical generation they were. My neighbor was very independent he would tell me the only person he ever worked for besides himself was Uncle Sam. The subject of nuclear power came up one time and I remarked I thought it was too dangerous. He said"hell son weve been using nuclear power for forty years(it was in the early 90's) and not one person has been killed. We know what we are doing ". I felt like a weanie he was absolutely right. They were a tough can do generation.
T Legg