News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

float valve leak - Can't find the problem

Started by MOTOMYSZOR, February 11, 2021, 07:59:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ribbert

Quote from: racerrad8 on February 11, 2021, 09:47:51 PM

.... Noel has already sent advice via PM and is not visible to the rest of the forum.

Randy - RPM

Haha, maybe on this occasion I should have, it included the photo below and detailed instructions, amongst other things.

Randy, barely a week goes by here without someone publicly acknowledging the advice you give via PM, email and even the phone, none of that's visible to the forum!

There's a funny story about that. A few years back I got a PM from a member in the US, Randy had rung him and talked him through whatever the problem was he'd posted about. He admitted, by way of explaining what brought him to me, that  he was so in awe at finding himself actually talking to Randy that he was rattled and remembered virtually nothing he said. It was as if he'd picked the phone and found God on the other end. He was amazed that Randy would spend his time ringing him and couldn't bring himself to impose even more on it by asking again, so he contacted me and asked if I could explain it to him.

I'm sure the slightly offensive circumstances and the the irony of suggesting Randy's time was more valuable than mine, but wanting my help, was lost on him.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

MOTOMYSZOR

Quote from: ribbert on February 15, 2021, 07:26:28 AM
Quote from: MOTOMYSZOR on February 14, 2021, 01:59:46 PM

.....following Randy's "checklist" I discovered wear dimples on each float.... So big thanks Randy for Your checklist.

Did they look like this...

Noel

This same pattern but in my case wear was less severe. I used my blunt file and sandpaper 2500.
It looks like finally I am ready for test run  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank You all for help.
We Are The People Our Parents Warned Us About

racerrad8

Quote from: MOTOMYSZOR on February 14, 2021, 01:59:46 PM
Now the question is: 20ml per night is acceptable or should I buy new floats?

Glad you found an issue and it helped with the leakage, but now to answer your question...

No, 20ml leakage overnight is not acceptable. Where is that fuel going?

Filling the bowls
Leaking out of the enrichment hoses
Weeping up into the carb throats

You need to find out where the fuel is leaking to ensure you don't accidentally hydraulic a cylinder.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

MOTOMYSZOR

Prepare to be surprised......   :wacko3:

I noticed that petrol level in my auxiliary tank lowered down after all this tests.... more than it should.... So I marked petrol level and discovered that after every test I have to add 50-60 ml to keep it on this same level.

So last few days I spent looking  for a leak.... nothing. Carburetors body was bone dry...

I discovered that  silicon hose going from syringe to carburetors is always covered in some kind of condensation, like water, but it was to much and I decided to change it for other hose - thicker one.

After that change  from syringe disappeared less than 2 ml..... it looks like petrol was evaporating thru this silicone tube walls in rate 40-60 ml per day.

It took me 2 months to discover that main problem was f.... silicone tube......  :ireful: :ireful: :ireful:

Pat Conlon

Well now, I'll be a monkey's uncle.... (not you Mark)
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

FJmonkey

The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

MOTOMYSZOR

I know how it sounds...... so I conducted small test.

as on photos: after 16 hours from syringe disappeared around 50 ml ......
Silicone tube is all covered in petrol.....

Old Rider

If you did that test in room temperature and had no lid on top of the syringe i think 99% of the fuel just evaporated into air.

MOTOMYSZOR

Quote from: Old Rider on February 19, 2021, 04:10:10 AM
If you did that test in room temperature and had no lid on top of the syringe I think 99% of the fuel just evaporated into air.

Just finished another test. This same condition: my garden shed with temperatures 5C-8C with no sun.... Only this night was very windy so it added to evaporation rate.
From blanked syringe evaporated around 5-6ml after 12 hours and little bit more than 10 ml after 24h. So in 16 hours it was maybe 8ml.

CutterBill

Quote from: MOTOMYSZOR on February 18, 2021, 06:46:21 AMI discovered that silicon hose going from syringe to carburetors...
Never use any type of silicone with gasoline. This includes RTV silicone.
Bill
Never Slow Down, Never Grow Old.

Current Stable:                                                     
FJ1100                                              
FJ1200 (4)
1999 Yamaha WR400 (street-legal)
2015 Super Tenere
2002 Honda Goldwing

fj1289

FJmonkey

Quote from: fj1289 on February 20, 2021, 07:31:06 PM

How long have you been waiting for that one?!
I did not see that one coming, I had to search for it...
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side