News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

202? PNW Rally?

Started by Flynt, December 27, 2020, 09:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flynt

So Here's what I think I could do pretty easily...  look up Cove Palisades State Park in OR.  I live in the Park pretty much and they have some very cool , but very limited accommodations...

1. 3 cabins about 7 miles from my house...  maybe 3-4 people per cabin.  These need to be booked a year out...

2, dozens of campsites for tents and RVs in Crooked River and Deschutes campgrounds.  Not as hard to book...

+ lots of camping spots around my house (indoor and outdoor) for those so bold...  easier to book, but buyer beware!

Might get better from there, but I'm curious how many people would come to Bend Oregon area for a rally this year?  I think we'd go for after Colorado, but maybe could sequence in between WCR and CO...  we'd need to move something.

This area is truly amazing and very well suited to a rally...  I'm seeking some data, but not guaranteeing anything...  other than I'll ride with you if you come up.

Thanks for any input...

Frank
There's plenty of time for sleep in the grave...

T Legg

Ian and I would ride to Oregon for a rally and we prefer camping although after Hayfork I think I need a better rainfly. I haven't heard anything about a WCR yet yours might have to be it for 2021.
T Legg

andyoutandabout

Rally senses tingling.
All quiet on WCR and gathering in general.
They even cancelled the 2021 TT. That's two years running.
I'm staying put until I've had the jabs, so it's all down to the vaccine distribution network for me.
Good shout out anyway Frank.
We know you've the roads to back it up
life without a bike is just life

ZOA NOM

Timing would be my only deterrent. Been cooped up too long, for sure.
Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

Paul.1478

for the right roads I may ride from ATL. It would be a fun adventure.
2006 GL1800
2009 KLR650
1976 RD400
1993 FJ 1200 ABS

Flynt

I'll start looking into this area as a WCR option.  Travis - it's NOT going to rain during the WCR if it's up here. 

A slightly more solid commit on who might consider it would help.  I know you'll need more description of what could be on the agenda, so I'll start with pretty fair riding country.  You'll need to do some research to convince yourself.  There is lodging on air bnb out here and decent motels in town along with some restaurants, so I'm sure people can piece together options to suit all tastes.

Home base would be Cove Palisades State Park in Culver Oregon.  Not Bend, which is an hour South of me.  Oregon roads are very nicely maintained and offer lots of variety.  Once we get an idea of what might develop, we can get serious about setting up some rides.  For example, a long but awesome tour would be to start here, ride over to Salem, then down to Eugene, then back here...  the sweepers over the Cascades each way are mostly along a river and absolutely beautiful.  Then there are the roads to the East...  sweepers through lava fields that look like Kona coast.  There's also the possibility of some Adventure riding...  if there's interest.

I'd support this being the WCR if the crowd chooses and I'll provide names and numbers for folks to make their lodging and meal arrangements...  but I'm not getting in the middle of anything much planning related (ok, maybe lunch stops and a nice group dinner while everyone's here). 

Let me know if you'd seriously do it... 

Frank

T Legg

I just spoke with Ian and he and I are in. We are able to be flexible on dates to accommodate any one else's availability or vaccine inoculation schedule. We would come vaccine or not there is no need to hug anybody to go for a ride together.
T Legg

Flynt

Quote from: T Legg on December 31, 2020, 07:11:49 PM
I just spoke with Ian and he and I are in. We are able to be flexible on dates to accommodate any one else's availability or vaccine inoculation schedule. We would come vaccine or not there is no need to hug anybody to go for a ride together.

You guys can likely just camp in the Park or even on my property...  thanks for signing in.

Frank

Flynt

So this is getting more serious quickly...  we'd be talking about June 4th, 5th, and 6th depart I guess.  Although I don't care about this happening on a weekend...  probably prefer not.  Rick...  what else do you need to know?  Mike - are your ears on?  This will be an event for those that sign up, make their arrangements, show up, and enjoy the ride.  I'll develop some options and participate...  and it will be fun.

Let's make our intentions known...

Frank

T Legg

Quote from: Flynt on December 31, 2020, 05:45:44 PM
I'll start looking into this area as a WCR option.  Travis - it's NOT going to rain during the WCR if it's up here.

Being from arid Nevada Ian and I had never experienced a ride that long in rain that intense as we did on our way to Hayfork. We were supposed to ride out with aviation Fred and his friend early Thursday morning but the rainsuit my son had ordered was delayed so we told Fred to head out without us. It finally arrived by noon and by then the sky's were black and the temperature had dropped to the low fifty's. We made the correct decision to don our rainsuits then. Within five miles of leaving Reno the  rain started coming down as hard as I've ever seen much less ridden through and continued for hours all the way to Susanville. The roads were like rivers it was a challenge to see where we're going. The rain suits worked fabulously but not so much my gloves and gortex lined leather boots. I had to remove my gloves and endure the stinging rain drops all the way. Despite my gortex lined boots I could feel the water streaming through them as we rode. Finally after reaching Susanville the rain dropped down to a drizzle but as we headed over the pass we encountered about two inches of slushy snow that had fallen just before we arrived. After pushing through that we dropped down in altitude and the rain reduced to patches of light sprinkles and driving at triple digit speeds on in to Hay fork dried us out. When we got to Hayfork with no phone coverage and just as the sun was setting Ian and I were discussing how to find the the ranch when two helpful locals told us to take the road just after the bridge and follow it to the ranch.after about ten miles the rode turned to dirt and began to climb up into the mountains ten more miles later in total darkness Ian got cell coverage and we could see  we were in the middle of nowhere. Amazingly we saw a blm government truck with two obviously very dedicated employees inside. The young man and woman inside seemed quite surprised to see any one out there much less two street motorcycles. After consulting with them and their maps (oddly they had no idea where they were) we retraced our route went back over the bridge we had crossed and took the road on that side. We finally arrived around ten o'clock that night. A memorable ride.

T Legg

Flynt

Quote from: T Legg on January 01, 2021, 09:31:37 AM
Quote from: Flynt on December 31, 2020, 05:45:44 PM
I'll start looking into this area as a WCR option.  Travis - it's NOT going to rain during the WCR if it's up here.

Being from arid Nevada Ian and I had never experienced a ride that long in rain that intense as we did on our way to Hayfork. We were supposed to ride out with aviation Fred and his friend early Thursday morning but the rainsuit my son had ordered was delayed so we told Fred to head out without us. It finally arrived by noon and by then the sky's were black and the temperature had dropped to the low fifty's. We made the correct decision to don our rainsuits then. Within five miles of leaving Reno the  rain started coming down as hard as I've ever seen much less ridden through and continued for hours all the way to Susanville. The roads were like rivers it was a challenge to see where we're going. The rain suits worked fabulously but not so much my gloves and gortex lined leather boots. I had to remove my gloves and endure the stinging rain drops all the way. Despite my gortex lined boots I could feel the water streaming through them as we rode. Finally after reaching Susanville the rain dropped down to a drizzle but as we headed over the pass we encountered about two inches of slushy snow that had fallen just before we arrived. After pushing through that we dropped down in altitude and the rain reduced to patches of light sprinkles and driving at triple digit speeds on in to Hay fork dried us out. When we got to Hayfork with no phone coverage and just as the sun was setting Ian and I were discussing how to find the the ranch when two helpful locals told us to take the road just after the bridge and follow it to the ranch.after about ten miles the rode turned to dirt and began to climb up into the mountains ten more miles later in total darkness Ian got cell coverage and we could see  we were in the middle of nowhere. Amazingly we saw a blm government truck with two obviously very dedicated employees inside. The young man and woman inside seemed quite surprised to see any one out there much less two street motorcycles. After consulting with them and their maps (oddly they had no idea where they were) we retraced our route went back over the bridge we had crossed and took the road on that side. We finally arrived around ten o'clock that night. A memorable ride.

The Hayfork debut, arranged by Marsh back then, was a complete bust for riding I'd say...  other than the food, fire, and company it would have been a complete bust.  The weather we had the evening of the first night this year... when your fly drowned... was what we had all day both days.  You'd see the skies lighten up a bit, we'd all gaar and go hoping the break was coming...  we'd make it out to town and usually turn around a come back to the Ranch.

The riding days last time were AWESOME, but I think the odds aren't good...

Frank

yamaha fj rider

Hello all.

I would love to attend a rally in your neck of the woods Frank. I will commit to this, as best I can these days. Other factors in life that are preventing me to commit to anything 100% right now. I missed not going any rallies last year.

I can make almost any accommodations work. Looking forward to a place to meet and ride. Thank you Frank for your efforts. Anything I can do please let me know.

Best wishes all.

Kurt

93 FJ1200
FJ 09
YZ250X I still love 2 strokes
Tenere 700
FJR1300ES

T Legg

Anyone coming from a distance to attend are welcome to use Reno as a waypoint on their trip. Reno has loads of motel rooms or for campers I have five acres that can be used. We could all ride out together to Frank's. I'm not sure exactly but I think it's a five or six hour ride from Reno.

Travis Legg
T Legg

Canuck FJ

I'd be into an Oregon rally, provided they open the Canadian Border in time.  I may also have to show up on a Triumph, as neither of my FJ's are roadworthy at the moment.
'84 FJ1100 (project)
'86 FJ1200 (project)
'78 KZ650
'96 Triumph Trophy 900
'11 Kymco Yager 200i

T Legg

There will be at least one Kawasaki attending. A Triumph won't offend anyone.
T Legg