News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

202? PNW Rally?

Started by Flynt, December 27, 2020, 09:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Ramos

Good morning Gentlemen,

I'm in for whatever plans & arrangements take hold. 

Having had a a delightful time riding the area with Flynt & Andyoutandabout everyone can rest assured it will be excellent.

Ride safe,

Midget

T Legg

Quote from: andyoutandabout on December 28, 2020, 02:49:16 AM
Rally senses tingling.
All quiet on WCR and gathering in general.
They even cancelled the 2021 TT. That's two years running.
I'm staying put until I've had the jabs, so it's all down to the vaccine distribution network for me.
Good shout out anyway Frank.
We know you've the roads to back it up

In Nevada educators are on the list to be first in line for the vaccine. Is it the same in California? Even at your tender young age you should be able to get one and come riding.
T Legg

Millietant

At the rate things are going I doubt much of the population will be vaccinated by June Travis, production and delivery capacity isn't there to hit upwards of 350 million people in 5 months.
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

T Legg

No it's not likely or necessary that 350,000,000
Vaccinations be delivered by June. We can
subtract the number of those who have or will contract it by June and I don't think a 100 % rate is needed to have a motorcycle rally. My point however is that Andy being a teacher should be in the first or second tier of vaccinations. I have family who are educators who expect to be vaccinated in the next few weeks.
T Legg

Flynt

Quote from: Mike Ramos on January 11, 2021, 11:45:40 AM
Good morning Gentlemen,

Having had a a delightful time riding the area with Flynt & Andyoutandabout everyone can rest assured it will be excellent.

Ride safe,

Midget

I'm going to suggest the following...

We are tied up with a Track Day on June 11, 12, 13...  but otherwise pretty open in June.  If this is the WCR for this year, we can take the June 4, 5, 6 weekend and start making reservations.

Accommodation options I know of are:

1.  Cove Palisades State Park...  they have a few cabins, but I suspect they are booked already.  They also have lots of camping and RV camping spots and we're pretty much surrounded by Federal land where camping is OK and free.  If camping or RV is your plan, take a look and see if you can lock something down.

2.  Hotel/Motel in Redmond or Madras, 20-30 miles from Cove Palisades...  Even Bend could be an option, but that's 45 minutes from the Park.  We can arrange morning meet ups and group lunches during the rides, then maybe have a group dinner/get together.  Not ideal, but no hotels out this way.

3.  Air BnB...  we live on what's called the Grandview Peninsula and I know there are some private home rentals in areas called 3 Rivers, Airport Park, Forrest Park, and Rim Park (where we live).  Something out here would be ok, but services out this way are very limited...  plan to go to the Cove Palisades Marina or there are a few places in Culver to get any prepared food.  Culver has a Dollar General, but real groceries require a trip to Madras or Terrebonne.  

So my suggestion is somebody (Travis?) take the plunge, set the date, and make some reservations...  then start an attendee list with name and your plans so others can make their plans.  I'd encourage people to stay in the area longer if you can...  Crater Lake, Newberry Caldera, Sisters/Camp Sherman, Mt Hood/Hood River, etc...  lots of things around us that could make a very nice trip...  (Maybe Derek and Donna can weigh in, they are familiar with the area).

Once we have a list of folks that will make the trek up here, I'll take up the task of planning rides, lunch stops, and a group dinner location.  Please feel free to ask questions as you're working through your plans, but I'm not going to do any planning around the lodging...  that'll be on you.

Frank

PS - Palisades has several camping options...  you'll want Crooked River for the best location, other than the cabins which are right at the Marina.  Avoid Perry South and Monte...  they're another 20minutes past our place and, although very nice, are really off the beaten path and require extended travel on gravel roads to get to.
There's plenty of time for sleep in the grave...

Flynt

Quote from: Flynt on January 12, 2021, 11:33:34 AM
Quote from: Mike Ramos on January 11, 2021, 11:45:40 AM
Good morning Gentlemen,

Ride safe,

Midget

I'm going to suggest the following...

We are tied up with a Track Day on June 11, 12, 13...  but otherwise pretty open in June.  If this is the WCR for this year, we can take the June 4, 5, 6 weekend and start making reservations.

Accommodation options I know of are:

1.  Cove Palisades State Park...  they have a few cabins, but I suspect they are booked already.  They also have lots of camping and RV camping spots and we're pretty much surrounded by Federal land where camping is OK and free.  If camping or RV is your plan, take a look and see if you can lock something down.

2.  Hotel/Motel in Redmond or Madras, 20-30 miles from Cove Palisades...  Even Bend could be an option, but that's 45 minutes from the Park.  We can arrange morning meet ups and group lunches during the rides, then maybe have a group dinner/get together.  Not ideal, but no hotels out this way.

3.  Air BnB...  we live on what's called the Grandview Peninsula and I know there are some private home rentals in areas called 3 Rivers, Airport Park, Forrest Park, and Rim Park (where we live).  Something out here would be ok, but services out this way are very limited...  plan to go to the Cove Palisades Marina or there are a few places in Culver to get any prepared food.  Culver has a Dollar General, but real groceries require a trip to Madras or Terrebonne.  

So my suggestion is somebody (Travis?) take the plunge, set the date, and make some reservations...  then start an attendee list with name and your plans so others can make their plans.  I'd encourage people to stay in the area longer if you can...  Crater Lake, Newberry Caldera, Sisters/Camp Sherman, Mt Hood/Hood River, etc...  lots of things around us that could make a very nice trip...  (Maybe Derek and Donna can weigh in, they are familiar with the area).

Once we have a list of folks that will make the trek up here, I'll take up the task of planning rides, lunch stops, and a group dinner location.  Please feel free to ask questions as you're working through your plans, but I'm not going to do any planning around the lodging...  that'll be on you.

Frank

PS - Palisades has several camping options...  you'll want Crooked River for the best location, other than the cabins which are right at the Marina.  Avoid Perry South and Monte...  they're another 20minutes past our place and, although very nice, are really off the beaten path and require extended travel on gravel roads to get to.

So I did do some checking into reservations...  Turns out you cannot make them over 30 days out since Covid restrictions were imposed.  This is changing on Jan 14th at 0600 PST as I understand it...  you'll then be able to make reservations for up to 6 months out.  There might be a window of opportunity to get the Deshcutes River Campground and possibly even a cabin for those that are on top of it.

Who's serious...?

Frank

andyoutandabout

Travis, I'll take the 'tender young age' part of the quote.
And you're right about they don't need 100% jab rate, 75% to 80% is estimated.
I'm keen to get one, but not super keen. Certainly worth waiting a while in case people start going mad because of the rushed vaccine chemicals.
You know, body is a temple and all that.
Anyway, it's all up for grabs and thoughts of rallies are always good thoughts.
life without a bike is just life

Flynt

Quote from: andyoutandabout on January 12, 2021, 06:54:31 PM
Travis, I'll take the 'tender young age' part of the quote.
And you're right about they don't need 100% jab rate, 75% to 80% is estimated.
I'm keen to get one, but not super keen. Certainly worth waiting a while in case people start going mad because of the rushed vaccine chemicals.
You know, body is a temple and all that.
Anyway, it's all up for grabs and thoughts of rallies are always good thoughts.
I believe we could do this whole thing pretty compliant with current Covid guidelines here if things don't get MUCH worse (we are already "Extreme").  We have outdoor dining, with masks when you can't distance and people here are doing it.  I'm thinking one ride would be to the east where restrictions are minimal...  indoor dining is even ok because they meet criteria for such, but we'd eat outside.  Other ride to the west would be pretty self contained with a stop for lunch somewhere west of the Cascades.  The dinner venue I have in mind would be outdoor (DI's concert venue Andy) and we can space out according to what is required at the time.

Oregon appears to be heading the direction of jabs for those in line, regardless of qualifications...  I think we'll all be there shortly since some folks aren't ready to get it.  Whatever the result if about 50% of the population have the vaccine by June, I think we're going to ba on very solid ground to move forward from a Covid perspective.  We're in and will be riding in a very remote and lightly populated area.  I'm personally not very worried about inadvertent exposure in and around where we live.

I believe we can make it happen and I think avoid any financial penalties if it all falls apart...  I'm game if you are!  

So, as we said in the USN, "Liberty for the Brave gentlemen..."!  Who's ready to grab this bull by the horns?

Frank

T Legg

I'll make reservations somewhere (I'm not sure where yet) on the fourteenth. I am still open to any date. The 4th,5th,and 6th sounds fine but if the 18th,19th & 20th works better for the majority that's ok too.
Those who wish to attend should state their  preferred date.

Travis Legg      no prefference
          Ian Legg      no prefference
T Legg

Flynt

Quote from: T Legg on January 12, 2021, 11:47:10 PM
I'll make reservations somewhere (I'm not sure where yet) on the fourteenth. I am still open to any date. The 4th,5th,and 6th sounds fine but if the 18th,19th & 20th works better for the majority that's ok too.
Those who wish to attend should state their  preferred date.

Travis Legg      no prefference
          Ian Legg      no prefference

Just checked and reservations for all the campgrounds are now open... and filling pretty quickly.  Big RVs would be happiest on Loop E, but most anything will fit in Deschutes Loops A, B, C, ...  Cabins don't appear to be open to book yet.  FYI - the campgrounds here are pretty much full all summer, so don't delay if you think you might come up.

Good luck

Frank

yamaha fj rider

Frank, thank you for doing this. I am looking forward to this.

I am as committed as I can be to this. My mother moved in with Kiki and I, three and a half years ago. She needs someone to watch over her and help her with some daily tasks. Because she is my mother, I am the primary care giver (Kiki is a great help). Someone must be here to care for her. Kiki earner a large promotion, almost three years ago and her new career requires her to travel part of the time. She has not been traveling since the pandemic but, this will resume at some point. Hopefully Kiki will be here and there won't be any problem with me going to the rally. I should know what her schedule will be a month or two in advance.

I can make almost any accommodations work. Anyone who would like to share a cabin, motel room or camp site please let me know. Also any one traveling to the rally and would like to travel together, please let me know. I prefer to ride to the rally but, I'm flexible.

If Bette's Place is open in Hood River, OR, it has my vote for breakfast or lunch.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Best wises to all.

Kurt
93 FJ1200
FJ 09
YZ250X I still love 2 strokes
Tenere 700
FJR1300ES

T Legg

We booked camp site B-47 in the Deschutes campground for Thursday the third, Friday the fourth, and Saturday the fifth. The adjacent campsites are open at this time. These are tent sites and the campground has shower facilities. Each site can have up to six people but I don't know how many tents. Our planned route is up 395 from Reno to Susanville then 139 to Klamath falls then 97 to Culver. We are leaving Reno around 8:00 am. If anybody will be passing through Reno they are welcome to camp on my property and ride out with us. If anybodys route coincides with part of our route we would be happy to meet up on the way if the timing works out. Can't wait to see everybody who makes the trip. Last year there were two of us I think we can at least triple that this year.

Travis Legg
                               Ian Legg
T Legg

Flynt

Quote from: T Legg on January 15, 2021, 12:33:14 AM
We booked camp site B-47 in the Deschutes campground for Thursday the third, Friday the fourth, and Saturday the fifth. The adjacent campsites are open at this time. These are tent sites and the campground has shower facilities. Each site can have up to six people but I don't know how many tents. Our planned route is up 395 from Reno to Susanville then 139 to Klamath falls then 97 to Culver. We are leaving Reno around 8:00 am. If anybody will be passing through Reno they are welcome to camp on my property and ride out with us. If anybodys route coincides with part of our route we would be happy to meet up on the way if the timing works out. Can't wait to see everybody who makes the trip. Last year there were two of us I think we can at least triple that this year.

Travis Legg
                               Ian Legg

Well alrighty then!  Others should be prompt on reserving more space...  I suspect it will go quickly.

Randy's going to start a new thread for the:

2021 PNW Rally
Cove Palisades State Park, Oregon
June 4-6, 2021

The campground has direct access to fishing on Lake Billy Chinook (LA Mike?) and Hiking on Tam a Lau trail...  Marina has a store and serves decent breakfast/lunch in a very scenic spot overlooking the lake...  There's also Desert Inn in Metolius that's a hidden jewel (Andy can attest) and Juniper Cove in Culver that's a decent steak house. 

I'll start setting up routes for Friday and Saturday, Sunday can be optional if there's interest.

C'mon vaccine!

Frank

racerrad8

This topic is now locked and all 2021 WCR information can be found on here: 2021 WCR, Cove Palisades State Park, June 4-6, 2021

As mentioned by Frank, things will probably fill up really fast as everyone in the country is ready to get out of the house for 2021.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM