News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

FJ2400 - Bonneville Land Speed Racer

Started by freakhousecustoms, January 01, 2021, 06:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FjLee

Interesting topic............

I'm seeing Poteet's "Speed Demon" as the current record holder for piston engined, wheel driven
cars as being 470.015 mph....

Progress continues to be made.....just a few years ago I watched Teague set piston-engined, wheel driven car set a new 2-way record of about 435 mph.....

I'm ready for someone on a motorcycle to set a new all-time 2 way record!! I think right now it stands at approx. 374mph.

FjLee      Denver,CO

freakhousecustoms

Of course the "fastest motorcycle ever ridden" is exciting stuff, but the TRUE beauty of Bonneville is going as fast as you can for what you're on.

I am equally impressed with someone who can go over 100mph with a 100cc engine as I am with the bike going over 300mph.

I keep saying, once I get over this "3000cc Phase" I really want to race in the Classic 350cc or even Classic 175cc classes, probably with a dual-engine two-stroke.  :crazy:

The Juggernaut: Dual-Engine FJ2400
Watch the build on The Freakhouse Customs Channel

fj1289

Lee - is the record currently held by Ack Attack? 

Fran - missed the post about the fairgrounds until later this afternoon - how's it go?

Don't try to "get out" of the 3000 phase too quickly - there's lots of opportunities - including sidecar!

freakhousecustoms

My "problem" is that I got into the bike building game 30 years too late.
And I got into the land speed racing game 40 years too late.

Too many dreams, just not enough time, so I chase and I chase and I chase. 
A few things checked off the list, but a WHOLE lot more still to go.  As it stands, I might have 2-3 years to commit to this (probably fruitless) endeavor.

Then I've got plans for the next decade, got my eye on a few more records to make (frivolous) attempts at.
:flag_of_truce:

FjLee

Quote from: fj1289 on January 17, 2021, 08:37:59 PM
Lee - is the record currently held by Ack Attack? 

Fran - missed the post about the fairgrounds until later this afternoon - how's it go?

Don't try to "get out" of the 3000 phase too quickly - there's lots of opportunities - including sidecar!

Yes......Rocky Robinson was the rider of Attack Attack,  and he  had a 2-way pass average of 376 plus.  On 1 of those passes, his exit speed was 394!!!  This was NOT at a BUBS meet, it was during Mike Cook's Shootout @ Bonneville.  AFAIK, that 2010 Ack Attack record still stands.

This in 2010.  Since then, they went to the Bolivia, South America Flats....in an attempt for a  400 mph record....but various things prevented a good serious attempt.

Salt condition at Bonneville has recently been a real crapshoot, as Fran can attest to.  Good salt one year, terrible salt the next.

Last time I was there, some days I drove through 2  1/2 miles of 24 inch deep brine, to reach the pits.

FjLee

freakhousecustoms

freakhousecustoms

ribbert

Quote from: Firehawk068 on January 17, 2021, 03:27:32 PM

The Bluebird car you have shown set the record at 403 mph in 1964.

The currect wheel-driven record is held by George Poteet at 437 mph, achieved at Bonneville.

Thanks for sorting that out Alan.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

ribbert

Quote from: T Legg on January 17, 2021, 08:57:17 AM
In the summer of 97 I took my family out to the black rock dessert several times to watch Craig Breedlove and Andy Green compete to be the first car to officially break the speed of sound.........

Wow Travis, what a historic event to have witnessed first hand. There will never be another milestone in the world of LSR's like that. I can only imagine what it must have looked and sounded like in the flesh.

You could dine out on the "I was there when...." story for the rest of you life.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

freakhousecustoms

Extended the handlebars. One more step closer to hitting the road... hopefully not literally! 
:good2:

Click pic to watch the video:

FJ1200W

Quote from: freakhousecustoms on January 17, 2021, 07:04:22 PM
Of course the "fastest motorcycle ever ridden" is exciting stuff, but the TRUE beauty of Bonneville is going as fast as you can for what you're on.

I am equally impressed with someone who can go over 100mph with a 100cc engine as I am with the bike going over 300mph.

I keep saying, once I get over this "3000cc Phase" I really want to race in the Classic 350cc or even Classic 175cc classes, probably with a dual-engine two-stroke.  :crazy:

I can vividly remember one afternoon on US Hwy 36, eastbound out of US 36 raceway in Osborn, MO.

Honda 919, 2002, was my ride. A friend was on his then new RC51.

We pulled side by side and let them loose -

I remember being shocked that we stayed side by side - and even when I hit my maximum speed, he was right there, I could not pull ahead and neither could he.

Indicated was around 155, so probably closer to 140ish, but who knows.

I do know this - when we stopped and were talking, he laughed a bit and mentioned he forgot to go into 6th........

As much fun as that all was, the 1st time I broke 45 on one of our Honda Metropolitan 50 scooters, it was ever bit as much fun as hitting a buck fifty on the 919.
Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA

freakhousecustoms

Randy/racerrad8?

Quick question (for anyone who's shipped a motor really),  would you happen to know the weight of the FJ1200 engine?
Carbs, no carbs, empty or full of oil.  I'm not looking for exact weight, just a ballpark to figure out some suspension & geometry.

Thanks! :)

-Fran

fj1289

Pat Conlon

Fran, I just watched your handlebar vid....at record speed, 180 mph, I think you will want to be laying down, tucked nice and low on your bike.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

freakhousecustoms

Quote from: fj1289 on January 19, 2021, 02:09:26 PM
Approx 200-225 lbs.

Whoa!  I completely underestimated that!
I was figuring 150lbs...  so I guess I should be impressed with myself for being able to lift it off the ground and up onto the bench. 

:shok: