News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

FJ2400 - Bonneville Land Speed Racer

Started by freakhousecustoms, January 01, 2021, 06:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

racerrad8

Quote from: giantkiller on January 09, 2021, 07:01:56 PM
Even farther if he just runs the exhaust on the back engine out the sides.

True, but at some point the carbs of the front engine and the exhaust on the rear engine will be too close...

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

freakhousecustoms

I'm going to build a bike to chase the AMA 3000-A-AF record, set by Tom Elrod back in 1977 at 188.006mph.  
The Juggernaut: Dual-Engine FJ2400
Watch the build on The Freakhouse Customs Channel

freakhousecustoms

Quote from: fj1289 on January 10, 2021, 05:27:21 PM
That looks like an evolution of one of the bikes from "Out of Nothing".  Very cool build.  I'll be studying the front steering for a while trying to figure it out!

I also had assumed (once again proving dangerous!) you were going to essentially splice together the front of one frame with the rear of the other with a bit of distance and a lot of structure added.  Building your own frame from scratch opens up a lot of possibilities!  Very cool!

Yessir!  I was lucky enough to meet Carl & Mark Bjorklund that first year I raced on the Salt (2014).  I got to meet Jason Omer & Bill Woods in 2016.  All of them great guys, and passionate racers.  Mark was even kind enough to give me his number when he found out I was going to try to build a dual-engine bike.  It was so great to get his unique insight because not many guys are even racing "doubles"... and EVERY single thing he told me/warned me about running a Double on the Salt was right.

If I wanted to try to splice the two frames together there would be SO much that needed to be changed, it's actually easier just starting from scratch.  What I'm building & riding right now is just a prototype.  Something I can hack and slash away at while I gather the data needed for my own frame.

freakhousecustoms

Quote from: racerrad8 on January 10, 2021, 07:45:21 PM
What class will you be running in and what's the record?

I'm going to build a bike to chase the AMA 3000-A-AF record, set by Tom Elrod back in 1977 at 188.006mph.

racerrad8

Quote from: freakhousecustoms on January 10, 2021, 08:34:32 PM
Quote from: racerrad8 on January 10, 2021, 07:45:21 PM
What class will you be running in and what's the record?

As I did with Chris, I'll throw my hat in the ring to assist with the record.

Everything from recommendations to advice to technical assistance to getting you dialed in.

Once you get the mock up done, I'll need you to send the carbs to get them set up for you.

Randy -RPM
Randy - RPM

freakhousecustoms

Quote from: racerrad8 on January 10, 2021, 11:05:00 PM

As I did with Chris, I'll throw my hat in the ring to assist with the record.

Everything from recommendations to advice to technical assistance to getting you dialed in.

Once you get the mock up done, I'll need you to send the carbs to get them set up for you.

WOW!!!  Thank you, sir!  I am flabbergasted.

A future question of mine was "what jetting do you guys use"?  But there are definite other factors involved once I figure out the size & shape of the airbox(es).
My other question is:  Are there any "free mods" - like cam timing tips and tricks?  I'm not ready to tear either of these engines apart yet, and they are both pretty stout performers in the stock trim, but I'm very much open to tuning tips.

Again, THANK YOU!  I've only been here a short time, but I already feel pretty welcome here & now your offer puts me over the moon!
:yahoo:

freakhousecustoms

Episode 4! :)
Again, this is NOT the race bike, just the prototype - but I'm getting closer and closer to rolling this beast under her own power!

As you can see, I'm pretty stoked on my progress.
:greeting:

ribbert

I can't seem to find an adequate answer on the net as to how the runs are conducted. A lot of the speeds on the official records seem modest if it's a no holds barred top speed run subject only to staying within engine capacity and aerodynamic categories.

188mph (the current record) doesn't seem fast for a 3 litre (presumably twin engine) bike, Chris's one engine bike goes faster than that.

There is obviously something I'm missing here, could someone please shed some light on the process.

Thanks

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

freakhousecustoms

Of course, sir!
The easiest answer is a question:  How many over 2000cc but equal to or under 3000cc motorcycles can you name?
For the most part, you'd have to build a double engine bike to get over 2000cc's and that went out of vouge once - as you mentioned - bigger/better/badder engines were created.

But let's say you've got yourself a double engine bike.  That's when you find out that you've got all the power you need, but you can't get the TRACTION on the Salt.  There's an intricate balance of power, weight, chassis and suspension design that needs to be achieved and THEN you've got to hope for a good/dry race course.  I've gone faster on my single-engine bike, with ONE stock GS1100E motor than I have with the dual-engine GloWorm - these are things that I am happy to admit and that I am frustratingly happy to try to figure out why I've failed so miserably up to this point.   :dash1:  LOL!

Also, 3000-A-AF and 3000-A-AG are both NON-aerodynamic classes.  No fairings allowed at all.  There's a point where you hit "The Wall of Air" that you need to push against, the problem on the Salt vs. the Street is that one the street your rear tire bites and pushes against the Street.  On the Salt, there's very little traction, so you have to modulate the throttle and actually ride/steer the bike because when the rear tire does get a bite, all it wants to do is come around the front and say. HI!  :nea:

There are many reasons Mr Elrod has held this record since 1976, and a lot of the speeds do seem "modest" until you look at the classes they're racing in.  As I've been told by many; If it were easy, everyone would be doing it.  :good2:

fj1289

Noel,

The DLRA (Dry Lake Racers Australia) are still planning to run Speedweek at Lake Gairdner 8-12 March 2021.  I know there are a lot of intrastate travel restrictions, but if you are able to go for a day or two it should be very interesting.   Always fun to see the variety of entries - from "stock" Production class, vintage and modern, open, partially streamlined, and full streamliners, guys who have reacted to same bike or car for years, people who try new designs or ideas, you name it.   Probably the most diverse and innovative form of racing anywhere - and it is still the bastion for the "average enthusiast" minus a few hotly contested classes (typically the "Busa" classes ...). 

Add to all this, the opportunities and limitations and challenges the ever changing salt surface brings to the mix.  It changes from year to year - wet / dry, soft / hard, smooth / rough / rutted, and any combination of those.   And it will change during the meet.   Typically multiple courses will be laid out - and even each of those may differ. 

freakhousecustoms

Ribbert,
If you do end up going, look for Kim Krebs!
I think, currently, she is the fastest woman in Australia on two-wheels!

Listen to her radio interview: https://youtu.be/ocGpt9Hvbvs

Also, I know Bill Dube & Eva HÃ¥kansson have shipped The Green Envy from NZ to AUS and they're making their way to the Salt Down Under right now.
Previous to The Green Envy was the KillaJoule which is currently the fastest electric motorcycle on the planet at 270mph!

I'd love to have the opportunity to ship one of my bikes to that Hemisphere and have a blast on that Salt!

freakhousecustoms

Got her together.  Rolled her out into the Sun.  Shot & Edited some video.

:hi:

Click pic for video:

andyoutandabout

F**k YES.
You run it, i'll ride up to Saltlake City and cheer it.
Great video making skills as well.
Already you bring much joy to the forum.
life without a bike is just life

fj1289

I was really surprised in the amount of flex the temporary brackets showed.  Looked like it was going to slowly settle to the floor! 

It'll be impressive to see the custom frame as it come together  :drinks:

freakhousecustoms

Quote from: andyoutandabout on January 13, 2021, 06:36:02 PM
F**k YES.
You run it, i'll ride up to Saltlake City and cheer it.
Great video making skills as well.
Already you bring much joy to the forum.

Coming from NorCal, you don't have to go all the way to SLC!  West Wendover is about 1.5 hours closer to you.  :biggrin:
They just announced the dates for the Bonneville Motorcycle Speed Trials:

2021 BMST August 28th-September 2nd

Thank YOU!  It means a lot to me that you find watching them as much fun as I had making them!