News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Front fender mounting tab repair

Started by aigram, January 23, 2021, 07:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aigram

Another teeball question from this FJ rookie!
I unfortunately recently cracked the remaining plastic holding together one of the front fender mounting tabs. Luckily the break is clean enough. Anyone have some adhesive that they recommend for the repair job? I didn't want to go trying just any old adhesive from the hardware store, since some can have bad reactions with certain plastics and paint.
Alex
1989 FJ1200 3CV

ribbert

Quote from: aigram on January 23, 2021, 07:43:45 PM
Another teeball question from this FJ rookie!
I unfortunately recently cracked the remaining plastic holding together one of the front fender mounting tabs. Luckily the break is clean enough. Anyone have some adhesive that they recommend for the repair job? I didn't want to go trying just any old adhesive from the hardware store, since some can have bad reactions with certain plastics and paint.

Because of the type of load on those tabs, I don't see how you can get enough strength back into a butt join without considerable over lapping / bracing (in my opinion)

Not long after I got my bike, I did something I should have known better than to do, I allowed myself to be distracted and left the bike sitting on a bottle jack with the axle out but the wheel still sitting in place. The jack crept down until the weight of the bike was resting on the mudguard (on the tyre) and broke it.

I superglued the parts together, only for the purpose of keeping them in place while I repaired it, then fibre glassed both sides, masked it off on the outside, a dab of paint and you'd never know.

That was a few hundred thousand kilometres and 10 years ago and the photo, taken recently, show they're standing up well.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

T Legg

Noel's method is one way and very successful if it has lasted that long. I used plastifix to repair my fenders that had broken and even missing tabs. There is a thread on this site that shows the repairs.
You can Google " How do I repair broken Chin Fairing fjowners.com " to see it.
T Legg

giantkiller

Quote from: T Legg on January 24, 2021, 07:53:26 AM
Noel's method is one way and very successful if it has lasted that long. I used plastifix to repair my fenders that had broken and even missing tabs. There is a thread on this site that shows the repairs.
You can Google " How do I repair broken Chin Fairing fjowners.com " to see it.
You can add fiberglass to the back of a plastex/plastifix repair. Go to a hobby store and get some fine fiberglass cloth.
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

Millietant

Noel, from the sound of it.....your repair is stronger than the original  :good2: :good2:
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

racerrad8

We have been using Plastifix now for a couple of years and continue to be impressed by the product when repairing or fabricating missing FJ plastic parts.

Also, to help control the flex of the forks that contribute to this issue, don't forget to add a RPM Fork Brace

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

FJ1200W

Quote from: racerrad8 on January 25, 2021, 09:15:56 AM
We have been using Plastifix now for a couple of years and continue to be impressed by the product when repairing or fabricating missing FJ plastic parts.

Also, to help control the flex of the forks that contribute to this issue, don't forget to add a RPM Fork Brace

Randy - RPM

PlastiFix rocks, good stuff, no doubt.

I've experienced pretty good luck with JB Weld #50139 "Plastic Bonder".

QuotePlasticBonder™ is a quick-setting, two-part, urethane adhesive system that provides strong and lasting repairs and works on thermoset, carbon fiber composites, thermoplastics, coated metals, concrete & more. PlasticBonder™ has a 1:1 mixing ratio, sets in 15 minutes and can be sanded after 30 minutes. With a tensile strength of 3770 PSI, PlasticBonder™ sets black in color and cures to a hard, permanent bond.

I've not used it on the FJ yet, but have made numerous other repairs of plastic items and am amazed at how well it works.

JB Weld has expanded their line extensively - I'm glad they're still around.

https://www.jbweld.com/products

I can remember using the original product back in 1978 to coat the exterior of a VW Bug's gas tank for a shop class project.

Santa delivered one of those hot staplers and I plan to use it with the JB product on the FJ.

lots to do

Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA

ELIMINATOR

Think I used Loctite 406 on my Moto Guzzi side panels, strengthened the repair by adding bits of cable tie to the broken area
BMW 1150GS
Moto Guzzi California 3

andyoutandabout

This thread has made me feel somewhat lazy. I just drilled a hole in the fender where there was a solid piece of plastic, and threaded a skinny zip tie through the fork mounts.
life without a bike is just life

aigram

My apologies for completely losing track of this thread; I blame winter.

Am I looking for Polyvance PlastiFix Kit MPN 2503 (Black) ? The kit is $44 on Amazon, does that seem right?
Alex
1989 FJ1200 3CV

T Legg

Quote from: andyoutandabout on January 30, 2021, 02:47:29 PM
This thread has made me feel somewhat lazy. I just drilled a hole in the fender where there was a solid piece of plastic, and threaded a skinny zip tie through the fork mounts.

Wasn't that the same way you mounted your rear shock cannister before the 2018 RPM rally?
T Legg

andyoutandabout

Travis,
yes the very same method, but the shock canister mount is now upgraded to hose clamp.

fj1289

Quote from: andyoutandabout on March 04, 2021, 07:45:46 PM
Travis,
yes the very same method, but the shock canister mount is now upgraded to hose clamp.

Slip a piece of heat shrink tubing over the hose clamp and most people won't know it's not application specific!  And helps prevent scrapping paint...

Pat Conlon

Quote from: andyoutandabout on March 04, 2021, 07:45:46 PM
Travis,

Nobody really noticed Andy....they were distracted by your swinger.... :wacko3:
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

andyoutandabout

Pat, all the ladies are distracted by my swinger.
Especially after all that youthful polishing.