News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

84 1100 complete end to end assembly video

Started by Troyskie, January 27, 2021, 03:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troyskie

G'day fellas,

I thought I'd do this project a little differently.

All prep, repair, refurb, cleaning, painting and replacing were done in the 15 months leading up to this assembly video.

There are plenty of mistakes, and videoing the assembly helped me review and find them, but I'm sure there are more you all can find.

Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WM6FBA7Q-8

Troyskie
1984 FJ1100 Ms Effie brand new :)
1984 FJ1100 Pearlie, stock as.
1985 FJ1100 Mr Effie 647,000K and still running hard.
1985 FJ1200 'Yummy' takes a licking & keeps on ticking
After all is said and done, more is said than done :)
2013 Trumpy Tiger 800, let's do a lap of Oz

Old Rider

Hello Troyskie..!! Congratulations, what a great video and what a fantastic total restorejob !! in my eyes You are now the king of FJ riders and
wrenchers.That bike must be the best looking Newest best restored Fj1100 in the word !. If it was mine i would keep it in the livingroom .Super video i saw somthing
happened at 28 minutes ,but that is perfectly normal when rebuilding the beast  :good2: :good2: :good:

Troyskie

Thanks Rolf  :good2:.
Yes, the main mistake was I put the base gasket in wrong, and the pistons were wrong way around so I had to pull the head and barrels off to correct with new gasket and new pistons. Valves were ok. The pistons were fine just a slight witness mark on the intake side with no metal removed, but I had a spare set, so I put them in.
Troyskie

Troyskie

Copyright on the music means some of you will only see a muted video.

Sparky84

Mammoth effort there Troy, could pick any mistakes......you were working Tooooo fast.

Got some music and then none
1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2

freakhousecustoms

Quote from: Troyskie on January 27, 2021, 06:10:39 PM
Copyright on the music means some of you will only see a muted video.

SUCH a pain sometimes, the YouTube, isn't it?  I have edited and uploaded the same video 2-3 times and each time they can bang you for a different copyright infringement. They do offer their royalty-free music library, but it's SO hard to sift through that music to find something you like. 

Excellent video and excellent pacing! :)

Thank you!!!
The Juggernaut: Dual-Engine FJ2400
Watch the build on The Freakhouse Customs Channel

andyoutandabout

And it's as simple as that.
What a moving 34 minutes and 11 seconds of poetry.
Can't believe that swing arm went in first tap.
Epic skills from the first bolt to the last.
Inspiring.
Emotional.
I'm off for a lay down.
Well done Troyskie
life without a bike is just life

Troyskie

Thanks fellas  :good2:.

I'd only run her up and down the street to test the clutch, gears, brakes, and then let her sit over night to see if there were any leaks.

Since then its been raining (Yeah! Pretty good bush fire during the week it's been so dry, so I can't complain), and I've been really keen to go again since finishing. On Monday she's going to the local dyno/tuning guy (Simon of Jobson Motorsport Nowra). He will run her in on the dyno, do an oil change/shims, then a final tune and dyno run, plus another if he's not happy, and then she'll be ready to take me to the 2021 rally at Bingara in May.
Before I take her for the run- in, I wanted another run for 10 min or so and run a little harder so see if there is anything that needs attention before the run-in.

Finally, just now, the rain stopped, sun came out, roads dried off, and I've a 10-15 min window before the next thunderstorm.

As before she starts with just the first click of choke and no hesitation to a smooth idle. After a quick warm up for a couple of minutes outside in the breeze I took off.

Now I know how it feels, just like in 1984, to ride a brand new FJ1100. She'll be even better run in and given a proper pro tune.

If anyone is wondering why I'm bothering with the dyno run-in and pro tune, that is a good question.
All of my FJs have had a number of PO's, never less than around 60,000k's young, and I've always envied those who've owned since new.
I'm fine to run her in like normal. I'm also fine to give her the final tune. I have the tools, and now some experience and confidence from other FJs.
However, this project has always been about finding out what it actually is like to ride a brand new FJ1100.
Having this final step is an unnecessary extra cost, yes, but one I choose to have, to complete my project fully in the way I intended.

I really love the feeling of riding this bike. The 10 or so minutes I've just had was wonderful, and very satisfying. Time for a beer, and good stare at the bike I think. :i_am_so_happy: :drinks:

ribbert

Wow, wow, wow. That is hands down the best rebuild video I've seen, great music to boot, well done.

The chooks wandering in and out to check on progress and the high five and kiss with Nicole are lovely inclusions.

Ambo Central has just knocked one out of the park and I look forward to seeing it in the flesh in May at the rally, and if not then, manshed weekend. I've already seen the paint first hand, it's perfect.

For those of you that may not have been around at the time or perhaps just missed it, this was Troy's last creative effort

Excellent work indeed.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Pat Conlon

Well done Troy!
When you now enjoy your new motorcycle, you can honestly say that you know her inside and out.
There is a certain satisfaction in knowing that few understand.

Kudos!
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Firehawk068

Excellent work and video!

But that poor oscillating-fan in the background though....................  :wacko3:
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

Bill_Rockoff

That's fantastic!

"Look, honey, the whole video was barely more than half an hour. I can knock this out in no time!"
Reg Pridmore yelled at me once

freakhousecustoms

Quote from: Troyskie on January 29, 2021, 10:14:24 PM
If anyone is wondering why I'm bothering with the dyno run-in and pro tune, that is a good question.

I, for one, am anxiously awaiting your results! 
I'm a fan of the K.I.S.S. Principle (Keep It Simple because i'm Stupid) so I would love to see what the stock numbers on a fresh rebuild are!

:good2:

I'm a complete newbie to the FJ scene, but the more I dive into the bike, the more impressed I am with it!
The Juggernaut: Dual-Engine FJ2400
Watch the build on The Freakhouse Customs Channel

fj1289

Quote from: ribbert on January 30, 2021, 05:18:49 AM
Wow, wow, wow. That is hands down the best rebuild video I've seen, great music to boot, well done.

The chooks wandering in and out to check on progress and the high five and kiss with Nicole are lovely inclusions.

Ambo Central has just knocked one out of the park and I look forward to seeing it in the flesh in May at the rally, and if not then, manshed weekend. I've already seen the paint first hand, it's perfect.

For those of you that may not have been around at the time or perhaps just missed it, this was Troy's last creative effort

Excellent work indeed.

Noel

Is this a seek and find game? 

I can't find the con rods!

Troyskie

He he he. Thanks Noel, I should have put a couple of photos like that at the beginning.

The conrods are still attached to the crank.

There were three parts I didn't completely disassemble and refurbish.
The carbies, bought new from RPM and jetted to suit (thanks Robert)
The instruments, found a set in very good condition oversea, even the fuel gauge works properly, and a perfect clear cover.
The conrods and crank. Every measurement i I could take showed 'new' spec, so I left them alone.

The hardest to find parts were the oem black chrome double wall headers. They are sequential and won't allow the bottom cowl to fit correctly if they are miss matched. As far as I can tell there aren't many/any nos headers like these left. I snapped up every set of 1100 headers I could find until these came up.
Amazingly I also found an oem fuel hose!
I was also able to replace or repair most of the wiring, switch blocks etc. starter and alternator are original.

Even though everything has new paint, polish etc. I've left some evidence of her previous life. There are a few marks visible under the paint in the frame, and some other imperfections I chose to leave, even though they would have been very easy to erase.
Although my Effie is new again, we all know she's had previous owners, and I've built her to a bit better than new, good for another 36 years, and this time, I'll be the knucklehead to put every scratch, dent, ding etc on her once I get past the pansy brand new novelty stage.

Troyskie