News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

92 FJ1200 #3 and #4 Missing

Started by Fudge, May 16, 2010, 07:40:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

racerman_27410

the ignitor box is one area where the FJ doesnt normally have any problems.... i would lean more towards a pinched wire or cruddy connector... have you done a oil change lately? the pickup wire can sometimes get pinched by the oil filter housing (fairly common)

KOokaloo!

Frank

RichBaker

Quote from: 83elite on May 23, 2010, 09:50:39 PM
Well, latest development. It's apparently somewhere past the coils. The 2/3 plug wire/coil assembly won't fire when attached to the 1/4 connector. 1/4 will fire when hooked to the 2/3 connector. Crap. I was hoping it was the coil.
Looks to me (and my aviation electronics trained neighbor) like the pickup is OK. Two wires from the pickup out to the ignitor box. If one works (2/3 lead) the pickup is OK. The ignitor box splits that signal into two (one signal to each coil). ???!??

My money (no pun intended) is on a bad ignitor box. Thoughts/advice? I don't suppose the "fake reserve" switch could be involved, could it? Seems like I recall that the reserve function mimicked a low fuel level by shorting out two cylinders?

Nope.... it simply cuts power to the fuel pump, to simulate running out of fuel. And, the ignitor box is NOT involved....

Looks like you need to chase the wire back, double-check the connectors it goes thru and look for abraded areas of the wire, it could be shorting to ground or just broken...
Rich Baker - NRA Life, AZCDL, Trail Riders of S. AZ. , AMA Life, BRC, HEAT Dirt Riders, SAMA....
Tennessee Squire
90 FJ1200, 03 WR450F ;8^P