News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

User name says it all

Started by ItsHotMan, April 16, 2021, 01:09:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItsHotMan

Hey everyone, and let me tell you, it's hot man. really hot in phoenix because its the doggone desert.
First time motorcycle owner. Could not pass up my 92' FJ1200 with less than 4k original miles.

I AM BEYOND THRILLED TO RIDE THIS BIKE.

Really. This is a dream come true for me and to have such a quality machine, well, you get the idea.

Looking forward to learning a lot from everyone here! Lets get out and ride!
92' FJ1200

andyoutandabout

Welcome to the forum. Ive read your post about 5 times and it still says 4K miles. That is probably a forum record breaker right there, albeit a bitter, sweet one. Sweet for you, but incredibly sour for the previous owner who missed out big time. I'm assuming that you must be the second owner, otherwise there are some strange things going on in Phoenix.
life without a bike is just life

red

it's hot man,

Lucky find!  If I were you, I'd go buy a lottery ticket.  You'll probably only need to buy one.   :biggrin: 

Lucky you stopped by here, too.  Lotsa good info and experience here, to keep you and the FJ happy.

First thing, the FJ is a big, strong bike.  It can be hard on tires, and old tires are a big risk, no matter about the tread depth remaining.  I believe our tires are done after maybe five to eight years old.   Click the link and scroll down a bit:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11

Make all of your luck to be good luck . . .
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Pat Conlon

Welcome aboard :hi:
I'm currently up the road from you in Sedona, but previously I was in Palm Desert for 45 years so I know about hot climates and FJ's. You can't do much with an air cooled bike when it's 120* and you're stuck in traffic....other than carb jetting and good oil.
The USA FJ's were jetted lean due to EPA regs. Lean bikes run hotter.
As an example...The rest of the world enjoyed #42.5 Pilot jets and the USA bikes had smaller 37.5 Pilot jets.
Want to run cooler in hot weather? Change your jets. Fatten them up.
Enjoy your bike. This summer hop on the I-17 and come up to the cool country and we'll go for a ride.
PM me and I'll send you my cell#...what's your name?

Cheers   Pat

ps. On your personal profile (button at top) modify your signature info. to add the year FJ you have. That way in the future when you ask a question, we will be sure to give you accurate info. for your specific FJ.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

ItsHotMan

Quote from: andyoutandabout on April 16, 2021, 03:01:00 AM
Welcome to the forum. Ive read your post about 5 times and it still says 4K miles. That is probably a forum record breaker right there, albeit a bitter, sweet one. Sweet for you, but incredibly sour for the previous owner who missed out big time. I'm assuming that you must be the second owner, otherwise there are some strange things going on in Phoenix.

its actually kinda funny. I'm the third/fourth owner. Someone bought it and i assume it was repoed and sold at an auction of some sort. The person that bought it there got it and another bike as a pair but only wanted the other so into the garage the FJ went. Cue the guy I purchased it from who had an ad online for SIX MONTHS with a price reduction of roughly $2.5K. Messaged the guy and got no response. Two weeks go buy and I'm out looking around for one to buy and he messages me back. I go see it and he explains that he bought it from the guy who kept it in the garage. Cleaned it all out and got it running again and his wife explained to him that no. there will not be a motorcycle.

So we both figured itd be a great first bike for me and it would give his wife the peace of mind she wanted. Win-win.
92' FJ1200

ItsHotMan

Quote from: Pat Conlon on April 16, 2021, 09:57:56 AM
Welcome aboard :hi:
I'm currently up the road from you in Sedona, but previously I was in Palm Desert for 45 years so I know about hot climates and FJ's. You can't do much with an air cooled bike when it's 120* and you're stuck in traffic....other than carb jetting and good oil.
The USA FJ's were jetted lean due to EPA regs. Lean bikes run hotter.
As an example...The rest of the world enjoyed #42.5 Pilot jets and the USA bikes had smaller 37.5 Pilot jets.
Want to run cooler in hot weather? Change your jets. Fatten them up.
Enjoy your bike. This summer hop on the I-17 and come up to the cool country and we'll go for a ride.
PM me and I'll send you my cell#...what's your name?

Cheers   Pat

ps. On your personal profile (button at top) modify your signature info. to add the year FJ you have. That way in the future when you ask a question, we will be sure to give you accurate info. for your specific FJ.

Man, thank you so much for that information. It really sounds like i need to make a list of things to help me out this summer  :lol:
My name is Brian and I'll definitely shoot you a PM. It'll be nice to get out with more experienced riders and learn some stuff.
92' FJ1200

Waiex191

The FJ seems like a lot for a first bike. I recommend picking up a GN400 to learn to ride on.
Bryan
1989 FJ1200
1981 Suzuki GN400
Poplar Grove, IL

ItsHotMan

Quote from: red on April 16, 2021, 08:50:13 AM
it's hot man,

Lucky find!  If I were you, I'd go buy a lottery ticket.  You'll probably only need to buy one.   :biggrin: 

Lucky you stopped by here, too.  Lotsa good info and experience here, to keep you and the FJ happy.

First thing, the FJ is a big, strong bike.  It can be hard on tires, and old tires are a big risk, no matter about the tread depth remaining.  I believe our tires are done after maybe five to eight years old.   Click the link and scroll down a bit:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11

Make all of your luck to be good luck . . .

Then I am absolutely due for a new set ASAP.
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!
92' FJ1200

ItsHotMan

Quote from: Waiex191 on April 16, 2021, 08:46:49 PM
The FJ seems like a lot for a first bike. I recommend picking up a GN400 to learn to ride on.

I don't disagree at all honestly. My biggest worry though was buying a smaller bike, outgrowing it, and then being stuck with it or attempting to sell it.
92' FJ1200

krusty

That's one handful of a bike first up. After many years on dirt bikes my first "big" road bike was a '77 CB650 - it was a hoot to ride. From that I went to the FJ. The CB felt like a scooter compared to the FJ.
As a former rider instructor I would recommend you take a skills course, presuming you are already licensed. Something like this should fill the bill.
https://motorcycletraining.com/
91 FJ1200
84 FJ1100 x 2
85 FJ1100
89 GL1500
76 CB750F1
72 CB350F
63 C92 x 2
59 C76
62 C100
63 C100
60 Colleda 250TA x 3
63 Suzuki MD50
77 DT125E
77 DT175E x 2
79 DT250F

Waiex191

Quote from: ItsHotMan on April 16, 2021, 08:54:37 PM

I don't disagree at all honestly. My biggest worry though was buying a smaller bike, outgrowing it, and then being stuck with it or attempting to sell it.

When my dad was in his 40s, his midlife crisis was manifested in him buying his first motorcycle - a 1981 GS650.  It was a sort of tall and heavy bike and he was never quite comfortable especially in low speed situations. That is why I taught my kid to ride on my GN400, which was my first bike (I still have it).  I've just seen more than one friend start on a large bike and it generally doesn't work out the best. A motorcycle training class is a good idea. 

All that aside, the FJ is an awesome bike and it sounds like you found a good one.
Bryan
1989 FJ1200
1981 Suzuki GN400
Poplar Grove, IL

giantkiller

The first bike I ever owned was an 86 fj1200. But rode my dads cb750. Alot before I even had a driver's license. Even took it trail riding.  Over some small jumps. If my dad had known. I wouldn't have lived to get a driver's license. That being said. I also rode that first fj for 14,000 miles in 2 1/2 months and totaled it out when a guy on a cb1100 crashed in front of me @ 135mph+.
You have an awesome first bike. Just respect it. And it'll be good to you.
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

PaulG

Quote from: ItsHotMan on April 16, 2021, 08:50:25 PM

Then I am absolutely due for a new set ASAP.
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!

Gaaakkkk!!!!  You just started a tire thread!! :sarcastic: but since you asked...

The stock 16" rear has few options now.  Bridgestone and Avon come to mind, but there are probably a few more.  I have a 92ABS and I've been using Avon radials for the last few seasons.  Buy good quality brands. Don't cheap out on them.  Many owners upgrade to a 17" rear rim which opens up the choice a lot (but that's another thread).

Also , as soon as you can, chuck the stock front brake lines (I'm assuming) and get steel braided ones.  They may look ok on the outside but they'll be rotten on the inside. Being a new rider you won't have any idea how spongy your brakes are now. (I'm psychic too)   :mail1:
1992 FJ1200 ABS
YouTube Channel Paul G

aviationfred

Welcome to the forum  :hi:

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

Ted Schefelbein

Welcome. If my first bike had been an FJ, I would have been in WAY over my head. I'm not saying you are in the same boat, but, I am saying you might want to follow up your purchase (great deal, by the way) with some of what has been suggested, above. Get as much training as you can. Don't ride on the edge until you have some miles and months comfortably in the middle.

30 years ago is a lifetime of motorcycle evolution. Almost everybody here owns a bike that has been modified from stock, as in those 30 years people discovered things that helped keep the bikes on the road, safer, and more reliable then they had been. 17" tires and improved brakes, improved electrics, forks rebuilt with improved components, fork braces, and the list goes on. Running all stock is getting harder to do as the bikes get older.

You will learn a lot hanging around here. I did, and owned many bikes, including two FJ1200s.

Ride safe.

Ted
I am an analog man, trapped in a digital parallel reality.

1989 FJ 1200