News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

WHAT WENT WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Am i missing something or what?

Started by raskco, May 18, 2010, 09:09:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flying Scotsman

I have had her well past 155 on the clock and 156 on gps not sure the rpm I was watching the road.What rpm should a 85 1100 be able to pull in 5th gear should it pull to 11,000 rpm or run out of steam before it gets there.If it will pull all the way to the limiter then it should be geared to stay under the limiter.
I have a Riva box(cdi) in my 99 gp1200 that lets me change timing curves and change rev limit before that I had a MSD ignition in my 97  gp1200 so I know how they worked but im a rookie with the 1100 fj.I think I have only hit the rev limiter once in 2nd gear.I think its on all gears but im not sure what rpm or if its the same rpm in all 5 gears.
1984 FJ1100
1985 FJ1100
1990 FJ1200
1999 GP1200 (165 + hp)

andyb

I understand that the stock ignition box shuts the party down a bit after 10k.  Not much use spinning to there, so I've never hit it.  At an indicated 10k on the tach, you'd better be shifting into second or holding fourth (assuming stock gearbox internals) unless you've got an awful lot of work done to make things breathe well up high. 

If you look here you can do the math easily enough to see how fast you're going.  Going by the GPS will give you the best info, though they're not infallable, but better than a mildly optimistic and non-linear speedo.  It's also a little surprising how much slip you're going to get from the tire when you're really winding it out!  I understand a MotoGP bike nearing the 200mph mark is seeing as much as 10% slip from the rear! 

If you're running a 17/40 gearset and stock rubber sizes, a true 9400 revs (assuming no slip) will net you 156mph.  The tach will likely be comfortably into the red though.  On 17/41, 9650 revs are required, and with 17/42 you'll have the motor at 9900. 

For laughs, on stock wheels and assuming a 10,500 limiter, if you gear the thing for absolute speed (18/38), you'll be a whopping six mph under 200 when you clip the limiter.  Of course, you're going to require some form of forced induction at that point, as something on the far side of 200hp will be required at the ground! 

If you're running a very short sprocket set (16/42), you'll catch 156mph right as the motor hits 10.5k.

What I noticed in dragracing was that absolute gearing didn't matter as much as where the motor's revs were relative to the peak power on the back half of the track.  At half track you should be around 100 and shifting into fourth, so ideally you let fourth carry you the rest of the way to the stripe.  On my combination, I was seeing peak power hitting the ground around 119mph with 17/42 gearing, so a good bit of my run was done with the motor much higher than it really needed to be.  Dropping down to 17/40 let the motor spend more time in the meat, putting peak power up to 125mph.  Comparing the mph gain on the back half of the track told the tale--the longer gearing kept the motor happier, and it managed to gain 23-24mph instead of 21-22mph.  A big difference.

If you've got the usual bolt on stuff (pipe, pods, advancer, good fuel, etc), then there isn't really a reason to go over the indicated redline, as you'll make better time just shifting between 9 and 9.5 on the middle dial.  And the FJ is really happy with long gearing, and it pulls it pretty decently.

Flying Scotsman

As far as I know its only got a pipe pods and a jet kit.I have been thinking about a 18-38 sprocket set up to drop rpm a few hundred rpm at 70 mph or so.On the highway I try to go slow most of the time so that would be 70 or so.It sounds like the fj1100 will pull the 18-38 gearing without loosing anything down low,get better mileage,more top end and wont load up the engine  :good2: It will also put me further from the limiter in 5th gear if I want to push her ever.
1984 FJ1100
1985 FJ1100
1990 FJ1200
1999 GP1200 (165 + hp)

andyb

18/38 with a power peak of say, 8800 would put it at 167.  Probably more than 110hp is likely to manage.  Slap an 18 on the front and see what you think, with a 40/41/42 it'll handle it well enough and put you at peak power well up in the going to jail level (155, 151, 147, respectively).  17/40 is quite near 18/42 though.  Stock gearing just seems to be a good compromise all around.

Fj 1200 wOW

Hello!

Did you find out of your problem, not running when hot, Fj 1200- 86?

I was just thinking of the wired two cables from petcock, are you sure they are connected, just beside of the battery pack? Try to put some WD 40 on the stickers before you reconnect them. Its a long while since you put any info abt this issue. So you may finish this a long time ago?

Fj 1200 Wow

a.graham52

Take notice of the time stamp over each reply. This thread was last used in 2010! Probably we will never know.

fj1289

Quote from: a.graham52 on June 05, 2016, 06:53:33 AM
Take notice of the time stamp over each reply. This thread was last used in 2010! Probably we will never know.

Yep - would be nice if people would "close the loop" - would be a huge help to people that find an old thread that matches their problem/issue/situation. 

I consider it to be a very small repayment and common courtesy for the help you received...