News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

WHAT WENT WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Am i missing something or what?

Started by raskco, May 18, 2010, 09:09:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlowOldGuy

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
1986 1200. running fine. nothing wrong with it. I took the tank off to see if everything was OK.. put the tank back on. filled it with a gallon of gas (enough 2 go to the station) Hit my reserve button and a way i went to the gas station. (1.5 miles) if) I ran out of gas after it sputtered the last 20 feet right at the gas
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Here's his description of how the initial problem began.  I'm not sure about the second sentence that says " took tank off to see if everything was OK."  Was there a problem that led you to take the tank off?  If it started by simply R&Ring the tank, then my money's still on a kinked fuel line.

Other possible option is a petcock that has the solenoid stuck in the OFF position but is leaking enough fuel to allow idle but not running.

DavidR.

raskco

Here's a little update..  had the bat on charge..  I heard it boiling.. I forget his name but he mentioned the bat..  so Ill change it.. 
I checked to see if the line was bending or anything.   it's fine. No room to kink or anything..  Was hoping it was 2 long or ??  But its fiine.. 

The bat though, It still has a very good charge, had it on a trickle just for the hell of it and heard it bubbling..

I just dont get it, it was fine... 

I took the tank off because i wanted 2 check everything out..  just got the bike.  Not that I speed but I wanted 2 know if everything was ok in case I had 2 go over 140 mph..   :wacko2:

I didnt take the carbs apart but i filled them up,,  I can still blow air in them from the line.. Some one onhere said they had siezed floats or something...Maybe???  Hope so. have new ones comming.

I aalso filled the  tank up with gas, closd the cap, and drained it..   worked fine....   
I cant do anything until i get my carb kits in.. 

IS there anything  i should do before i take the carbs apart??

RichBaker

It's GOT to be a kinked fuel line....the early bikes were VERY sensitive to routing, so bad that Yamaha put a routing diagram on the airbox(I think).  If it is replaced (with too soft or too long a hose) or a fuel filter is added or anything else is done to the fuel line, it kinks and quits flowing fuel.... this is a WELL documented problem. Before you buy or replace anything else, MAKE SURE THE FUEL LINE IS CORRECT!!

Thankfully, I have a '90, so I don't worry about it....   :biggrin:
Rich Baker - NRA Life, AZCDL, Trail Riders of S. AZ. , AMA Life, BRC, HEAT Dirt Riders, SAMA....
Tennessee Squire
90 FJ1200, 03 WR450F ;8^P

andyb

Though if it's stopping and having "lots" of fuel in the carbs...

Still agree that it's starving for some reason and a kink is a good canidate.  Carbs are getting too low of a fuel level to run, but there's still significant gas in them..

Gosh, and I just put a great big post up about starting issues in the faq..  :sarcastic:

mst3kguy

kinked fuel line is my bet.  fj's are temperamental about the fuel line routing.
dean
2014 triumph street triple r
2019 ktm 1290 superduke gt

WS

Hi Raskco, my first guess would be also fuel line routing. But also make sure that your choke cable is routed free and not under tension with the tank installed. Otherwise it can open your choke valves a little bit and the engine starts running to rich when hot and stumbling. You also get bad gas milage. good luck Werner

raskco

For every reply i get more ideLS OF WHAT COUD OF HAPPENED..  SO THANK YOU AGAIN..
oK HERE IS WHAT I CAME UP WITH NOW..

raskco

Thanks for the replies..  helps me out  big time..
Im not home right now but from your replies i came up with this..
I put the line on the tank..  IT DOES NOTKINK,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,  BUT,
When I put the tank or slip the tank in the rubbers 2 go for a ride, It might be kinking on the throttle cable because it seems like I have 2 use force 2 place the tank into possition,, :dash2:
That might be the probem..  AGAIN  I hope.. I checked last night for a KINK. I wont take the carbs appart yet, ill put them back on and the tank,  Like the other guy said, FORGET his name, do one thing at a time..  Al you guys say fuel,  I thought so 2.
Bowls fill up, (BEfore the tank is put in the rubbers or slipped in the rubbers)  Go down the road until bowls empty..  AGAIN this makes sence, Im working until 4..  ill check when i get home. It has 2 be that.
Ill put the tank on just hanging there(not in the rubbers) sit on the frame and try it... :gamer: 
(but I will change the bat, and do the carb kits after. cuz it ran fine before..)
Cross my fingers again..  Thanks guys..  ill let you know at 5pm..

raskco

just another thought, when i came back from the ride, ga was still in the carb though!  but maybe from when i shut the bike off to when i checked the bowls  it was filing up..  and stilll  didnt want 2 start.. 
i got aske3d if the bike could be bum started,,,,    bat. never went dead was always able 2 crank..

wish i had a small  tank 2 try. then i can look at the lines..  i tried 2 sqeeze the lines  and they are still good. so dont think they r callapsing.. 

ill take my garden tracter tank off  ..  no time 2 cut the lawn now cuz  of this anyways>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

rhubarbray

When you fill the bowls is it possible to put a clear piece of hose on the drain nipple, open the drain and check to see what the fuel LEVEL is? Then when if dies again, not too far from home I hope, do it again and see if the fual level has changed. I believe the level should be approx 2-3mm below the level of the bowl/body joint.

Then again, what do I know, I`m still trying to fix mine!!!

Ray

Oh! major thought here. I just helped someone with a similar problem. What we found was that the fuel petcock, being plastic, could be turned past the correct orientation. If you pass the open position, you start to close the orifice again. It`s an 8mm wrench but the plastic can be wrenched past where it`s supposed to be.

Does that help?

RichBaker

Quote from: rhubarbray on May 19, 2010, 10:44:31 PM
When you fill the bowls is it possible to put a clear piece of hose on the drain nipple, open the drain and check to see what the fuel LEVEL is? Then when if dies again, not too far from home I hope, do it again and see if the fual level has changed. I believe the level should be approx 2-3mm below the level of the bowl/body joint.

Then again, what do I know, I`m still trying to fix mine!!!

Ray

Oh! major thought here. I just helped someone with a similar problem. What we found was that the fuel petcock, being plastic, could be turned past the correct orientation. If you pass the open position, you start to close the orifice again. It`s an 8mm wrench but the plastic can be wrenched past where it`s supposed to be.

Does that help?

IIRC, only the fuel pump-equipped years had this petcock, '88 - '93...
Rich Baker - NRA Life, AZCDL, Trail Riders of S. AZ. , AMA Life, BRC, HEAT Dirt Riders, SAMA....
Tennessee Squire
90 FJ1200, 03 WR450F ;8^P

raskco

:good2:

GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1st of all I am glad this went the way it did..  why?
petcock nipple was easy to come off..  So it would of fell off, got gas all over me and well, you know what would happen.

Second,,  i rebuilt the carbs..  SO MUCH junk in the carbs..  All new even know one sort of back fires now for some reason..  adjusted the flot 3 times.. (yes i know i should check the fuel level maybe..  :dance:  but after..

Third,,  I checked for kinks inthe line..  NONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (but the air box was not on...  SO YES  all you guys were right...
And about the battery, some one mentioned that, i did order a new one.. I can smell acid..  still good but seems like its boiling..

forth, I think the spark is weak..  SO now what??????  battery and check again?

5th..  Never had this before and now i do, when I let off on the fuel, it pops,,  my buddies 1100 does it but he has k&n filters, im still stock for now until I get my jet kit and filters..  So why would it pop when letting off the fuel?  and when it pops without the air box on, a tiny bit off fuel comes out the nipple on the carb...

6th..  again, #4 cyl seems like its back firing when its idling..  Took it for a ride and goes good.  (small ride going out now for a test.. (real test..)

So what I did for now, the lines are STILL running at top of carbs, I extended it and looped it so it doesn;t kink..  Monday I am getting my k&n;s and jet kit.. I will run it the right way..  I must say if this never happed, i would be riding with that petcock like that. even know its on this forum probably somewhere, i would never guess they go bad..  (rubber for the nipple rots)
And i learned a little more about some problems fj;s have..

Off to ride thanks for all the help guys..  As promised 50 more bucks I will be donating. Worth every penny.. Thanks again :gamer: :bye: :yahoo:

andyb

1- Good catch
2- Get them clean, and leave em be... you've got a jet kit coming, so they'll be changing anyhow.
3- By sensitive to kinks, means bends that you can't imagine would be a problem.  They are.  It's kinda a pain in the ass, really.  As for boiling the battery, that's a common problem also.  Sit down with a meter and start checking the charging system.  When the regulator/rectifier assembly goes bad, it starts putting out too much juice, boils the battery dry, and that leads to the expected problems.
4- The OEM coils weren't real strong on their best days.  They'll work though.  What say you get everything else working before worrying it though?  Unless you've got a couple hundred in your pocket starting fires.
5- Popping through the pipe on trailing throttle?  Lean on the pilot/idle circuits in the carb (possibly needs more jet, they're still dirty, turn the mix screws out), and possibly an air leak  (cracked rubber carb boots, that sort of thing) are the common reasons.
6- Backfiring/popping through the carb?  Uh.. means something but I've been up too long to remember.  Too much nitrous and too much overlap on the cams, i think. :)

raskco

:::::::::::::::::Popping through the pipe on trailing throttle?  Lean on the pilot/idle circuits in the carb (possibly needs more jet, they're still dirty, turn the mix screws out),

the pilot was at 3 and 1/4  turn our. I set them at 2.5    thoguht it was like two but set them at that..  Ill try at 3 1/4

the needle was set at the 3rh notch from the bottom..  so I left the new one the same..  Should be ok right?

I rebuilt my 89 carbs and never had a problem..   i play around with them a litle more..

To think this bike was running fine.. 4 days of hell.  Should of left that airbox on..  Live and learn..

Thanks

SlowOldGuy

Quote from: raskco on May 22, 2010, 05:56:40 PM
:good2:

GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does that mean you fixed the "running out of gas" problem???

Third,,  I checked for kinks inthe line..  NONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (but the air box was not on...  SO YES  all you guys were right...

Huh?  What exactly does this mean?  Who was right?  Were there kinks or not?  Not very clear what you're trying to say.

forth, I think the spark is weak.. 

You can NOT know this for sure without the proper test equipment.  Some ignition systems (and I think the FJ is one of them) "look" like they have "weak spark" and are just fine, the spark is supposed to look like that.

5th..  Never had this before and now i do, when I let off on the fuel, it pops,,  my buddies 1100 does it but he has k&n filters, im still stock for now until I get my jet kit and filters..  So why would it pop when letting off the fuel?  and when it pops without the air box on, a tiny bit off fuel comes out the nipple on the carb...

Again, you need to be real clear with your descriptions.  If it's popping back through the carbs and you see fuel coming out of the "nipple on the carb"  then I'm thinking that you do not have the vacuum port covered.  If not, then guess what?  The cylinder will run extremely lean and it will pop.

Also, are you in Canada?  If not, then if you've got adjustable needles, you've already got a jet kit.

You need to use complete thoughts and statements otherwise you just cloud the issue and make it harder to help you.  I get frustrated real quick when I have to work this hard to understand what you are saying.

DavidR.