News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

1992 FJ 1200 no fuel to carbs!

Started by Ragman, May 24, 2021, 03:39:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ragman

Hello to all, I'm new to this forum, but not to FJ's. A bit of history to get here. My bike has about 25000 km on it, ( yes, I'm Canadian, in southern Ontario).  Three years ago, I sent my carbs to RPM, where Randy dis-assembled cleaned and re-built them. Got them back, plug and play. After about a month of running it, I had starting issues, after sitting , at work, or other places. Needed a shot of Quick Start, the get it going. I decided to buy new coils, given the age of them, and got Dynatek's. Life got busy, work, son who has autism, and finally this spring I installed the new coils. Ready to start, turns over strong, spark at the plugs, power to the pump, but no fuel to the carbs. I ordered a new pump from RPM, installed. Turn on run switch, turned ignition on, pump seemed to run for about 5 seconds, priming itself , then stopped. I can crank, but still no fuel to the carbs. I've checked the fuses, can feel the pump relay click when I turn on the run switch and mention. Any input from you vets would be appreciated. Thanks, Pete

aviationfred

1st thing that I would look at are the plug wires. Verify that they are on the correct cylinders. In the following drawing. The Arrow points towards the front wheel. The Red coil is for the #1 and #4 cylinders. The Yellow coil is for the #2 and #3 cylinders.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

Ragman

Will do Fred. I did have some concerns about re-connecting them after I replaced the coils. Will let you know if that helps. Thank you.

Ragman

Just confirmed the wire position and routing. Also note that when I turn on the run switch and turn the key, with my hand on the fuel pump I can feel the pulse in the pump body when I turn the key on.

FJmonkey

So the pump is getting power. Next thing is pull the fuel line from the carbs and make sure the pump is moving fuel. And make sure the petcock is in the open position.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Ragman

The peacock is in the ON position, and I already have removed the fuel line from the feed to the fitting between the carbs. Still no fuel making its way through this line. I did speak with Robert at RPM this morning and he said that the key needs to be cycled about 10 to 15 times before the fuel will make its way up through this line, but I can't even hear the pump working when I turn the key. I can feel the pulse in the pump body, but that is it.

FJmonkey

So if you have already checked that the pump is getting fuel at the inlet from the tank, then I can think two more possibilities. The pump has failed even though it is pulsing. Or the fuel line is blocked/clogged.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Ragman

Ok, finally some progress! Turned on the run switch and then the ignition, and then gave the pump body a rap with the handle of screw driver and, the pump started to cycle. And continues to do so. So, I cycled about 15 times like Robert said, and then tried to start. No luck firing until I sprayed some Throttle body cleaner into the carb openings, and finally got a sputter, Black-Face. I think I may need to do a little cleaning before it will fire. I need to stop for the night now, because I'm up at 3:30 am for work. Thanks for staying with me on this, when I get home tomorrow afternoon, I will pick up here. Cheers for now, Pete!

Ragman

The latest update is that when I tried to turn on the run switch and ignition, I could hear the pump run today. So, after talking to Robert at RPM again and asking about the possibility of the new pump being faulty, he said to try to jumper it first, and then take the cover off and see if the points were moving. Well, I jumped the pump and it worked again, so I disconnected the fuel line to the carbs, and put it into a clear bottle and ran the pump to confirm the fuel was flowing as the pump cycled. Fuel flow was good. Re-connected the fuel line to the carbs, and then let the pump cycle to push fuel to the carbs. Then, the pump stopped working or the fuel is being blocked from getting to the float bowls. So, I think I need to begin to trace back from the fuel feed input to find the blockage in the fuel stream.

woodcreekpete

Sounds like the floats or the inlet valve are stuck shut. Was the bike stored with emptied bowls or treated gas? You might have to pull the carbs and do some cleaning.