News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Colin's FJ1200

Started by FJ1200W, July 18, 2021, 01:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJ1200W

Busted my FJ out for a bit.

I don't want what I am about to say to sound "wrong" but here I go - re: Colins bike.

Pulled the slave -

I looked up in the pushrod hole for a ball.

There is not one in there, I'm thinking it's only removable from the other side.
Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA

FJ1200W

Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA

RPM - Robert

When you have the clutch pack out pull the little pushrod on the clutch cover side of the input shaft. Take a magnet and stick it down the hole. If the ball is there it should come out with the magnet.

fj1289

Since you have two bikes at your disposal - you have two clutch pushrods.  That should be plenty long to push the ball out from one side to the other....or at least prove to yourself it is or is not there.

FJ1200W

Quote from: fj1289 on September 27, 2021, 09:34:14 PM
Since you have two bikes at your disposal - you have two clutch pushrods.  That should be plenty long to push the ball out from one side to the other....or at least prove to yourself it is or is not there.

Good idea.

Busted my FJ out for a pretty good ride, a little under a couple hundred miles.

No helmet law in Missouri anymore, and this was my first "good" ride without one.

My bike seemed so smooth, stealthier than Colin's. Both run like FJ's, but I'm thinking his is quicker.

'ucking awesome day to be riding. So grateful to be able too.

Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA

FJ1200W

Quote from: RPM - Robert on September 27, 2021, 04:50:26 PM
When you have the clutch pack out pull the little pushrod on the clutch cover side of the input shaft. Take a magnet and stick it down the hole. If the ball is there it should come out with the magnet.

Will do, plates are due here Friday.

Thanks - and I wore the RPM shirt on todays ride!

No pictures of said shirt though......
Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA

FJ1200W

Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA

RPM - Robert

Holy burnt up clutch steel Batman! Are those bad boys warped?

racerrad8

Pull that down. That appears to some brand of aftermarket, "Kevlar" friction on the front. Followed by a smooth steel floater plate. If they are all kevlar and smooth, then throw all that stuff away.

Make sure you get to that last friction under the snap ring too.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

FJ1200W

Quote from: racerrad8 on October 01, 2021, 06:06:32 PM
Pull that down. That appears to some brand of aftermarket, "Kevlar" friction on the front. Followed by a smooth steel floater plate. If they are all kevlar and smooth, then throw all that stuff away.

Make sure you get to that last friction under the snap ring too.

Randy - RPM

Thanks for the tips!

Yes, the old one was roached

I went through my stock Yamaha fiber plate stash and found a set that are all 2.97mm or better. Min is 2.8mm I believe.

The Kevlar plates were all in the mid to upper 2.8's.

You have to love these clutches. So quick and easy to work on!

Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA

FJ1200W

Report: Missing handlebar riser cap or plug, I am not sure what the term for it is at the moment.

One was still in place, but loose. A small dab of rtv will fix that.

RPM's superior product comes machined for and with an o-ring to eliminate this problem.

A high performance cover was acquired, installed and it should dramatically reduce track times.
Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA

FJ1200W

Busted out the bikes today, they're both running so well.

I'm ready for Colin to pick his up so I can start on mine.

I was able to squeeze 44 mpg out of my '89, which is better than normal.

Colin's '86, about 34 mpg, but I've been admittedly heavier on the throttle!
Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA

Old Rider

I like the high performance cover ! also good choice with the foamgrips i had a few of them ,but not on the fj dont last too long .They soak water and get wet but give i nice feeling .Soapy water and stubborn force gets them in place  :good:

FJ1200W

Quote from: Old Rider on October 19, 2021, 09:22:31 AM
I like the high performance cover ! also good choice with the foamgrips i had a few of them ,but not on the fj dont last too long .They soak water and get wet but give i nice feeling .Soapy water and stubborn force gets them in place  :good:

Thanks - and those grips, they are "NOS" which makes me think they'll not last long, due to sheer age. I've used them for decades, you're right, they have their up's and downs.

One of the best tricks ever learned was using compressed air to remove old grips, works so well.

Colin said he bought a gauge set (his tach has quit working) from someone in the UK. Not sure why he went that far, but some questions I don't ask, I'm just the wrench. As soon as it arrives, I'll throw it in and try to get his bike out so I can start on mine - and then another buddy has a GL650 that needs a quadruple bipass.

I'm hoping to run the bikes side by side next week. If so, I'll post the real world results.

Good times

Even the house repairs..... My father has had multiple floods over the years. He finally bit the bullet and had a demo crew come in and remove the molded drywall, carpet. They cleaned and disinfected. Now we've applied a coat of sealer over it all, Kilz. The water issue should be resolved, and now, well, I'll be a drywaller for a while......
Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA

FJ1200W

FJ's at The Big Bur Oak Tree 
Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA