News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Sorry another clutch question

Started by DK, August 20, 2021, 09:13:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DK

I have just renewed my master clutch components, the clutch salve seals, and the ball bearing that's inside the clutch cage. The ball bearing was changed due to the fact that when engaging 1st gear there is a crunch and bike lurches forward and it was suggested that it possible the ball bearing as developed a flat spot over the years so I changed it, while inside I inspected the clutch plates for wear, all looked good. after rebuilding the clutch I noticed the clutch cage was solid and would not spin. Stripped the plates from the clutch cage and checked and re built the clutch still solid. Before stripping the clutch plates the cage did spin freely, the problem as only raised since taking the plates out for inspection.
My bike was not in gear.   I fitted the salve and bled it after rebuilding the clutch, I did not remove the cage only the plates. I followed the workshop manual
I am at a lost, has this happen to anybody? what did you do to fix it?  Have I loaded the plates wrongly? the last friction plate was the thin one.     any help will be gratefully received
"Glass half full, what bloody glass"

Waiex191

When cold, mine has always crunched and lurched forward going into first.  I just try to get the idle as low as possible.  So I don't have an answer but would be interested to hear what others say about it.
Bryan
1989 FJ1200
1981 Suzuki GN400
Poplar Grove, IL

red

DK,

Any multi-disk clutch will lurch into first gear to some extent, after being parked for a long while.  That trait is not unique to the FJs, or Yamaha.

You can minimize the clunk by starting the engine in Neutral, and warming up the engine oil.  Pull the clutch lever fully, and blip the throttle moderately, several times.  Still holding the clutch lever in, let the engine return to the warm-idle RPM, and engage First gear.  The clunk into gear should be minimal then, maybe just a click.

Engaging First gear with a cold engine and cold oil (without separating the clutch plates by blipping the throttle in Neutral first) can be abrupt, noisy, and maybe risky.  The FJ is strong enough to do things that other bikes can not, then.

If the problem is not reduced or eliminated by this process, then there may indeed be an assembly problem.  Keep us posted . . .
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.