News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

FJ's and kangaroos

Started by Troyskie, August 22, 2021, 02:03:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Legg

Quote from: Motofun on August 28, 2021, 06:39:26 AM
OK...going off topic here...I don't know sh*t about geetars but looking at the Australian electrical outlet brings an old question to mind.  I get why 200 VAC is superior to the US standard 120 VAC system but why 50 Hz instead of 60 Hz?

Most of the world is on 50 Hz  . we chose to use 60Hz way back in the beginning because the flicker of incandescent lights at 60 Hz was a bit better than with 50 Hz . 230 volt systems allow you to run smaller gauge wiring but the 230 volt Australian wiring measures 230 volts to ground and will give you a much stronger shock if you touch it while grounded than ours. Our 230 volts circuit wiring uses two 115 volt hot legs out of phase to achieve 230 volts so if you touch one wire while grounded you still only receive a shock from 115 volts theirs uses one 230 volt hot leg and a neutral leg so you receive a 230 volt shock to ground. I have been shocked when working on our 460 volt commercial circuits which measure about 277 volts to ground and you can feel a big difference between it and being shocked by a 120 volt to ground circuit.
T Legg

ribbert

Quote from: T Legg on August 28, 2021, 10:55:36 AM

Australian wiring measures 230 volts to ground and will give you a much stronger shock if you touch it while grounded than ours.

Just a shock if you're lucky!

Electrocution in the home used to be common here but has been in decline since the early 90's when safety switches became mandatory of new builds, rewires and extensions. They are still trying to make retrofitting them mandatory on pre existing properties.

Another reason for the decline in deaths could be no one repairs white goods anymore, home appliances being probably the single biggest cause.

Haha, I still give everything a flick with the back of my hand (as I was taught) just in case.

Noel

"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

T Legg

Quote from: ribbert on August 29, 2021, 07:23:52 AM
Quote from: T Legg on August 28, 2021, 10:55:36 AM

Australian wiring measures 230 volts to ground and will give you a much stronger shock if you touch it while grounded than ours.

Just a shock if you're lucky!

Electrocution in the home used to be common here but has been in decline since the early 90's when safety switches became mandatory of new builds, rewires and extensions. They are still trying to make retrofitting them mandatory on pre existing properties.

Another reason for the decline in deaths could be no one repairs white goods anymore, home appliances being probably the single biggest cause.

Haha, I still give everything a flick with the back of my hand (as I was taught) just in case.

Noel

Yes that is my standard procedure as well after confirming it isn't live with my meter I always tap the wire quickly. The other habits are to always keep one hand in your pocket so you don't send the current from one hand through the other straight through your heart and never lean on or over anything your working on. I often have to work on equipment while live when trouble shooting and these practices have kept me alive.
         This thread has sure wandered afar from Troy's cute kangaroo video.
T Legg

Pat Conlon

Think of it like a digital campfire...
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Millietant

That's one of the beauties of places like this.....you never know where a journey will end up !

Just like riding out of the garage on your FJ  :sarcastic:
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.