News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Rear view mirrors

Started by Loukiii, April 25, 2021, 07:36:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ribbert

Quote from: giantkiller on April 27, 2021, 06:25:14 PM

I've had luck. Drilling a hole in the bottom and filling it with silicone. 

Yep, the hole in the bottom does the trick (I actually cut a rectangle out of the bottom). You can afford to make it big enough to re attach the weight and then cover the hole with black duct tape. With the hole being on the underside of the mirror, no one will ever see it. But you're really flogging a dead horse, get rid of them in favour of something with better rear vision, it costs less than a tank of fuel and might just save your life one day.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Waiex191

Quote from: aviationfred on April 26, 2021, 02:50:42 AM
For the 1988-1990 1200
IMO, the 2012 CBR250R mirrors work the best. The mounting holes need elongated
Fred
My ebay mirrors came today.  So just to make sure I understand correctly, these are the mounting holes that bolt the bracket to the fairing?  And you use the honda brackets, not the Yamaha ones?  I almost got some cheaper ones but they didn't have that bottom bracket.
Bryan
1989 FJ1200
1981 Suzuki GN400
Poplar Grove, IL

FJmonkey

I modified the OEM bracket to my aftermarket mirror stalks. Needed a little grinding to properly fit the stalk the the base. After that, the 86' rubber boot still fit. 
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Waiex191

Quote from: aviationfred on April 26, 2021, 02:50:42 AM
For the 1988-1990 1200
IMO, the 2012 CBR250R mirrors work the best. The mounting holes need elongated
Fred
Elongated!  I'll say!  Beyond elongated we had to grind down the perimeter to make room for a bolt head.  I figured I'd use allens to minimize the space requirements but the slots went right to the edge of the recess before I could get the bolts in.

This job turned into sort of a disaster.  I only got out 1 big phillips mounting screw out of 4.  Had to drill out the other 3.  I was trying to figure out if I could get to the back side.  I took out the left side inner panel and found lots of broken plastic.  I did finally get them drilled out, slotted them with a dremel, and they came out easily.  Not sure why the impact driver couldn't touch them.

I think I'll make some custom mounts.
Quote from: FJmonkey on April 30, 2021, 11:28:12 PM
I modified the OEM bracket to my aftermarket mirror stalks. Needed a little grinding to properly fit the stalk the the base. After that, the 86' rubber boot still fit.  

For the life of me I could not see how this would work.  Maybe the '86 is a lot different.
Bryan
1989 FJ1200
1981 Suzuki GN400
Poplar Grove, IL

Waiex191

They are on!  We went for a short ride and I like them.

Here is the stock mirror in comparison.

Bryan
1989 FJ1200
1981 Suzuki GN400
Poplar Grove, IL

andyoutandabout

Yep, had the same exciting time when I put mine on. Used a Dremel and spent ages chewing metal. A bolt on job that took best part of a day. But like you say, once they are on, sit back and enjoy the view.
life without a bike is just life

Pat Conlon

Blue Locktite is your friend.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Charlie-brm

For alternative replacement sources, my go-to online store in Canada carries them from Bike Master brand. Results from the EMGO brand were incomplete.
Possibly the base design is different but I couldn't confirm that from the product images (not that I trust store product images to be that exact SKU anyway).

BikeMaster OEM Replacement Mirror Right - Black - 600478 | Honda CBR250R 2011-2013     (Fortnine SKU: XA5058045)
BikeMaster OEM Replacement Mirror Left - Black - 600479 | Honda CBR250R 2011-2013       (Fortnine SKU: XA5058044)

These have a vertical pivot bolt. It ain't pretty by my standards and I don't have rubber boots to hide them but it works. They are very clear, rock steady after 5 hours including rutted pavement and give a wide angle view.

My fabrication notes are in the gallery image description but I think the thread covers enough about that already.
The pic shows the difference in extension from the base point.

If someone wants to see any images I refer to in posts, first check my gallery here. If no bueno, send me a PM. More than glad to share.
Current Model: 1990 FJ1200 3CV since 2020
Past Models: 1984 FJ1100 - 2012 to 2020
1979 XS750SF - 2005 to 2012

Loukiii

It looks like the previous owner had already replaced the stock mirrors as the ones on the bike are definitely not Yamaha. They look like Kawasaki Ninja mirrors and they suck. Im going to try some CBR mirrors as recommended I just hope the guy didnt screw anything up so I will be able to do something without having to screw anything else up. lol

Millietant

I was going to go with the CBR mirrors for my 89, as Fred recommended, but after seeing them "in real life", I thought the arms were just too "spindly".

So, I plumped for the 2001-2005 FZ1 (Fazer 1000 here) mirrors and am really pleased with them - great visibility, they look great and they've smoothed the airflow around my helmet at speed  :good2:

Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

Waiex191

The great thing about the stock mirrors was they were socked down tight.  I could hang my helmet on them and the mirrors would not move.  With the CBR mirrors, I find they are always getting tweaked and I have to readjust them.  Are the FZ1/Fazer mirrors any better?
Bryan
1989 FJ1200
1981 Suzuki GN400
Poplar Grove, IL