News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Clutch slave cylinder rebuild maintenance

Started by Old Rider, September 04, 2021, 06:46:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Rider

I'm planning to do some service on the clutch slave and the clutch master cylinder on my bike soon and while waiting for the repair kits that is ordered to arrive in post i had a look at another old slave cylinder unit i have laying here that was replaced some years ago.I knew it was leaking and had
rust innside but decided that i will try to see if it is possible to save it by a little honing and fixing.
Made a write-up that may be useful for some thinking of doing this.

T Legg

Nice work and all done before your wife returned .
If one day new parts are no longer available your bike will probably be one of the last still on the road.
T Legg

Greenlander

Quote from: T Legg on September 04, 2021, 07:32:00 AM
If one day new parts are no longer available your bike will probably be one of the last still on the road.
nice and informative presentation. I assume you didn't do this rebuild in the kitchen while your wife is out running errands  :sarcastic:. Anyhow I just finished rebuilding the master cylinder on my 84 FJ with the kit from RPM. Didn't come with copper washers so I used the old aluminum ones I took off. No good! Allowed a tiny bit of a it to get sucked in but it felt firm and shifted properly. So I rode it to work and when getting to the first traffic light after 20 min ,I could barely get in neutral.Diagnosed the problem and got new copper washers from local shop.
Then realized my clutch lever is so worn at the contact point from almost 40 years that it barely activates the clutch. Called RPM but no replacement available. So I JB welded a 8mm hex nut on and it works good :good:
How long? Will keep you posted (popcorn)
Keep the rubber side down
1975 Harley 250 (Cagiva ) fun but unreliable. Sold After 6 M
1975 Honda CB 550 fun and reliable,sold
1980 Suzuki GS 850 daily driver,weekends.Very dependable. Sold for the FJ in 89
1984 FJ 150K of year round (fun)commute in SoCal

Old Rider

You might be right  :biggrin:

Old Rider

Quote from: Greenlander on September 04, 2021, 04:49:56 PM
nice and informative presentation. I assume you didn't do this rebuild in the kitchen while your wife is out running errands  :sarcastic:. Anyhow I just finished rebuilding the master cylinder on my 84 FJ with the kit from RPM. Didn't come with copper washers so I used the old aluminum ones I took off. No good! Allowed a tiny bit of a it to get sucked in but it felt firm and shifted properly. So I rode it to work and when getting to the first traffic light after 20 min ,I could barely get in neutral.Diagnosed the problem and got new copper washers from local shop.
Then realized my clutch lever is so worn at the contact point from almost 40 years that it barely activates the clutch. Called RPM but no replacement available. So I JB welded a 8mm hex nut on and it works good :good:

Yes i did most of the work when dragon not at home  :biggrin:
I know exactly what you are talking about when it comes to worn clutch lever i post a pick of mine before i had to replace it there is a hole right thru it in the brass bushing and it is deformed.I also used washers to take up the slack.And about the copperwasher i think it is
crucial to use new/good ones on the banjobolt the threads can suck in air.I use a little rtv silicone on both bleeder screw and banjobolt

T Legg

[/quote]

I had the same problem with the clutch handle on one of my 84's a couple years ago . My local Yamaha dealer has access to company that searches the inventory of all the Yamaha dealers and found a shop that had two handles in stock. I bought them both and used one so far. They may have been the last two in existence but there could be more out there. I am saving my old handles in case someday I need to either have the divots in them welded or try something like you have done.
T Legg

T Legg

The clutch handle on the fj1100's are different I think.
T Legg

5speed

great write up. rebuilding the slave, clutch and brake master cylinders are on my to do list this winter or spring.
you should have been here the day my wife caught me with the tractor tire in the bathtub looking for a leak.. :ireful:
1986 FJ1200
2000 Roadstar
1976 GL1000
1978 GL1000
1982 GL1100 (sold)

red

Quote from: 5speed on September 05, 2021, 09:59:45 AMgreat write up. rebuilding the slave, clutch and brake master cylinders are on my to do list this winter or spring.
you should have been here the day my wife caught me with the tractor tire in the bathtub looking for a leak.. :ireful: 
5speed,

I would have to agree.  You should do that in the swimming pool.    :empathy3:
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Old Rider

Quote from: 5speed on September 05, 2021, 09:59:45 AM

You should have told here that she should be glad that it was  a tractor wheel and not a woman !

5speed

Quote from: red on September 05, 2021, 02:10:05 PM
Quote from: 5speed on September 05, 2021, 09:59:45 AMgreat write up. rebuilding the slave, clutch and brake master cylinders are on my to do list this winter or spring.
5speed,

I would have to agree.  You should do that in the swimming pool.    :empathy3:
I would need a pool for that. lol
1986 FJ1200
2000 Roadstar
1976 GL1000
1978 GL1000
1982 GL1100 (sold)

Old Rider

Since i still  was waiting for the postman to arrive with the slave and master rep kits i mounted both the old slave and master cylinders that i have been working on to see if they are working on the bike.You can read about the master rebuild in this tread :  http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=20077.0 At the same time i could start preparing the newest slave and master that was on the bike for the new seals.
.I have ridden the bike for 2 days and had no problems.A little WARNING about the master cylinder is that i would
never try to hone the master cylinder much as i did on a brake master cylinder.The brakes are important and after increasing the diameter in the master bore
the seal might blow under hard braking when you need it at most.The clutch on other hand is not that critical.Anyway the rep kits arrived yesterday so
i started prepping the newest slave and master to install new seals in them

FJ1200W

Great write up and even better timing -

Thank you!
Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA

Old Rider

Quote from: FJ1200W on September 16, 2021, 12:39:42 AM
Great write up and even better timing -

Thank you!

Thanks Steve! I like to read about your wrenching to great stuff  :drinks:

Old Rider

Since i was silly enough to make 2 separate treads one for master and one for slave i post this last update about installation and bleeding in both treads.
yesterday i removed the old master and slave cylinders that had a 2 day testride they worked fine without leaks or any other problems.
I then put back the newest master and slave that has new seals.I primed both the master and slave to make bleeding process go fast