News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Fuel Sender Wiring

Started by wco56, September 18, 2021, 09:45:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wco56

Hello All,
I am fairly new to the site, having just purchased a 1986 FJ1200 with 5100 miles on it. I am new to this bike, but not new to motorcycles and am pretty handy with a wrench.  While cleaning things up a bit I noticed that the Fuel Sender wiring connectors (three wires) were showing signs of having been heated up pretty good at one point. I tired to post a couple of pix with this but couldn't get them to load. Does anyone know where I could get the appropriate connectors with a pigtail of wire for each end? It works as it is, but I would like to replace it.  So far I haven't been able to find an old piece of harness, etc. to use.  Thanks in advance, and I am looking forward to interacting with everyone.

Wayne

Millietant

Hi Wayne, welcome in.

Sorry I can't really help with your issue as I'm in the UK - and I'm guessing you're not - but it might help if you let us know where you are as most of the active group members are from the US, Canada and Australia, so suppliers and shipping conditions/sources and prices will vary a lot.

All the best and good luck :good2:
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

wco56

Quote from: Millietant on September 18, 2021, 04:11:17 PM
Hi Wayne, welcome in.

Sorry I can't really help with your issue as I'm in the UK - and I'm guessing you're not - but it might help if you let us know where you are as most of the active group members are from the US, Canada and Australia, so suppliers and shipping conditions/sources and prices will vary a lot.

All the best and good luck :good2:
You are right. I should have mentioned that I am in the US, in New York State. Thank you.

JPaganel

I know where to get connectors.

However, no pigtail. They sell new crimp-on terminals.

What you could to is buy a new connector, un-pin yours and put the pins in new housings. Clean them up in the process.

Or, if you have a good set of crimpers (NO auto-parts store cheapo ones), you could just crimp on new terminals.

https://www.corsa-technic.com/category.php?category_id=47

I should add - Corsa-technic is a small shop in Wisconsin.  They are really nice to deal with. They have pretty much every connector used on a motorcycle in the last 40 years.
1993 FJ1200 ABS

1984 FJ600, up on blocks

1986 FJ1200, flaming wreck, repaired and sold
1986 FJ1200, repaired, ridden, sold

I don't want a pickle
I just want to ride my motorcicle

Old Rider

Hello Wayne !
Om my bike the wiring for the fuel petcock and sender unit is getting brittle and hard.I recently received this set bought on eBay from Kina it took 6 weeks to arrive ! .Don't think the quality is the best and when i tested how they fit together (with the pins installed ) they had a loose fit.It helped to bend the plastic lockpin out see last pick.
I have to replace the wires and then there is a little more work because they are soldered at the sender unit and petcock so will have to splice them also difficult to get same colors.

wco56

Quote from: JPaganel on September 18, 2021, 09:53:50 PM
I know where to get connectors.

However, no pigtail. They sell new crimp-on terminals.

What you could to is buy a new connector, un-pin yours and put the pins in new housings. Clean them up in the process.

Or, if you have a good set of crimpers (NO auto-parts store cheapo ones), you could just crimp on new terminals.

https://www.corsa-technic.com/category.php?category_id=47
Thanks. I will take a look. I probably don't have the correct crispers but I have a friend who does.

I should add - Corsa-technic is a small shop in Wisconsin.  They are really nice to deal with. They have pretty much every connector used on a motorcycle in the last 40 years.

wco56

Quote from: Old Rider on September 19, 2021, 02:38:00 AM
Hello Wayne !
Om my bike the wiring for the fuel petcock and sender unit is getting brittle and hard.I recently received this set bought on eBay from Kina it took 6 weeks to arrive ! .Don't think the quality is the best and when i tested how they fit together (with the pins installed ) they had a loose fit.It helped to bend the plastic lockpin out see last pick.
I have to replace the wires and then there is a little more work because they are soldered at the sender unit and petcock so will have to splice them also difficult to get same colors.

Those look pretty close to the stock connector. I will check it out. Thank you.

JPaganel

Quote from: wco56 on September 19, 2021, 05:36:26 AM
Thanks. I will take a look. I probably don't have the correct crispers but I have a friend who does.

Like I said, you might not need to replace the lugs. You can usually pop them out with a small screwdriver or a zip tie, clean them up, and put them back in.
1993 FJ1200 ABS

1984 FJ600, up on blocks

1986 FJ1200, flaming wreck, repaired and sold
1986 FJ1200, repaired, ridden, sold

I don't want a pickle
I just want to ride my motorcicle

Old Rider

Wayne : if you PM me your address i send you a set for free, but It can take some time before you get it.Then you can decide if you want to use them

wco56

Quote from: Old Rider on September 19, 2021, 02:25:54 PM
Wayne : if you PM me your address i send you a set for free, but It can take some time before you get it.Then you can decide if you want to use them

Thanks Old Rider. I think I will try to source new connectors here first before you spend any money sending what you have. If that doesn't work out I will get back to you and we can figure out how I would at least pay the shipping costs. I appreciate you offer.

Old Rider

Okay tell me later if you need them :bye: