News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Do I need to use shims with EBC FA88HH pads?

Started by pict, September 21, 2021, 02:11:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ribbert

Quote from: pict on September 22, 2021, 09:12:39 AM

The local Yamaha dealer can source some shims in a month and want CAD$15 a shim, so I think I will just install without, and only revisit this if there are any noise issues as you say. I've checked and there are no shims installed on the front pads, so it can't be mission critical. Planning to use sparing quantities of high temp silicone grease on the pad backs and piston mating surface, and copper grease on the pins. I'll leave the plastering copper grease everywhere exercise for the centre stand pivots. There are some dangerously enthusiastic copper grease advocates out there. The attached pic is to my mind a <sarcasm> a little excessive </sarcasm>.

Just to recap on all this:

It's fine to ride it without the shims fitted.

If the brakes are noisy you can buy after market products from any auto accessory store to fix this. EBC sell specialty adhesive rubber mat that you cut to shape and stick to the back of the pad, it is made for just this purpose.
I'm all for using what's at hand but I wouldn't be using silicone grease on my brakes when purpose made products are readily available and cheap. I've never used it but the EBC product sounds good.

The pins don't need grease (not to be confused with caliper pins which do) and copper grease is an anti seize, not a lubricant.

Haha, love the photo. While not having seen that exact thing, I have witnessed similar stupidity many times.

Going racing with a well set up FJ sounds like a lot of fun, half your luck.
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

pict

Quote from: ribbert on September 23, 2021, 06:30:11 AM

Just to recap on all this:

It's fine to ride it without the shims fitted.

If the brakes are noisy you can buy after market products from any auto accessory store to fix this. EBC sell specialty adhesive rubber mat that you cut to shape and stick to the back of the pad, it is made for just this purpose.
I'm all for using what's at hand but I wouldn't be using silicone grease on my brakes when purpose made products are readily available and cheap. I've never used it but the EBC product sounds good.

The pins don't need grease (not to be confused with caliper pins which do) and copper grease is an anti seize, not a lubricant.

Haha, love the photo. While not having seen that exact thing, I have witnessed similar stupidity many times.

Going racing with a well set up FJ sounds like a lot of fun, half your luck.

I just fitted the pads without shims for the time being. I'll revisit the issue if there is any noise persisting after bedding in. There seems to be a variety of lubricant recommendations out there and I just went with the way I have always done it and never had issues. I think the key words are 'sparing quantities'. i.e. zero excess that might migrate.
1986 FJ1200 1TX